200tdi Wiring into series 3

mart010

Hello,

Connecting the 200tdi into the Series 3 is difficult. 
I've found the setup on Expedition Land Rover (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/200tdiwiring.htm)

I've bought the 200tdi Timer Glow Plug and a petrol ignition switch.

First question: What Starter Relay do I need (Number 4 in the drawing)? Can somebody give me a link to the correct article?

200tdiWiring.jpg

Edited by mart010

6 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Go to the glencoyne website. It's very easy.

Nope don’t understand it yet. 

so I’m having a 200tdi Timer Glow Plug and a petrol ignition switch. How correctly do the setup in the series 3?

32 minutes ago, mart010 said:

Nope don’t understand it yet. 

so I’m having a 200tdi Timer Glow Plug and a petrol ignition switch. How correctly do the setup in the series 3?

a petrol switch in a diesel vehicle is not going to work .... make it easy on yourself and buy a diesel switch .  no need for a timer relay  , any normal big relay will do , they don't need a long time glowing (i never glow mine (unless it's 0 celsius or lower)

5 hours ago, hurbie said:

a petrol switch in a diesel vehicle is not going to work .... make it easy on yourself and buy a diesel switch .  no need for a timer relay  , any normal big relay will do , they don't need a long time glowing (i never glow mine (unless it's 0 celsius or lower)

I’ve got the timer relay. Can I use that one instead of the normal big relay? The original diesel switch I still have.

12 minutes ago, mart010 said:

I’ve got the timer relay. Can I use that one instead of the normal big relay? The original diesel switch I still have.

the 200tdi original had a timer relay , so you'l have to find a wiring diagram to see how it's connected, and adapt your wiring 

• Thanks 1

Just now, hurbie said:

the 200tdi original had a timer relay , so you'l have to find a wiring diagram to see how it's connected, and adapt your wiring 

Yes I need to find someone who can help me draw that part of the scheme. Maybe pay’d if somebody is willing to help me out. 

I used the light switch on the choke cable to trigger the relay. Also illuminates the choke light at the same time.

Power from the permanent live, wire thick enough to take the current.

Done.

• Thanks 1

When I converted a petrol 90 years ago, ISTR just fitting the timer relay to an ignition switched live, and the heavy glowplug cables didect from battery to relay, then relay to glowplug bus cable. I dont think you need to change the switch at all.

On the glow relay connector block you have thick brown - battery live(starter live post) , thin white - ignition live , thin black - earth, thin black/yellow glow warning light and finally heavy black/yellow - glow plugs. 

The petrol ignition key switch is fine although I would add a 30a relay into the starter white/red circuit. You could use the petrol starter contactor having a brown to one post and a decent gauge white/red to the diesel starter solenoid terminal. 

Steve

I still have my 109’s original ignition switch.  The Tdi glow plug relay is triggered by it and works fine, but the plugs are seldom needed.  The rest of the wiring is simple - the starter stays the same, though the routing needs adapting with the integrated solenoid.  The white low tension wire to the ignition coils gets lengthened to reach the fuel solenoid, and the wiring to the oil and coolant sensors doesn’t change a jot.  The alternator is wired up the same, but you need to update for the 65a alternator with some thicker wire and perhaps change the terminal types.

I did used to have a different wiring system for the 12J that preceded the Tdi, using a heavy duty push-button switch between battery and glow plugs.  Very simple and reliable, probably an easier and cheaper option that fitting the Tdi type relay.

• Thanks 1

On 6/13/2023 at 9:29 PM, mart010 said:

If you don't have the small loom section with the terminal block on I'll check one I have here tomorrow if possible 

Steve 

Yesterday I’ve got the 200tdi wired into the series 3 military. That was not easy. For me ;), got good help to sort the wiring out and make sure it’s wired properly. What I’m most proud of is that it uses the original ignition switch. No starter button is needed or other extra gizmos. Just the standard diesel series 3 switch with a bridged relais. Works like a charm. Super cool to start the engine with the key.

the video I’ve made of the fist run is to big to post here. I’ll make it smaller and upload later on.