Vevor 13500lb winch - opinions pls

muzaz

Looking online for winches I came across this winch from Vevor.

S61d6c2698f98475a919f1f1a59396cc2A.jpg_640x640Q90.jpg_.webp.d8f2eeda9589afe2fd0d43bbd897b851.webp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004913800707.html

At €275 delivered it caught my attention and looking at the specs it's listed as 13500lb capacity with a 6.8hp motor, a 265:1 reduction, IP67, synthetic rope etc. 

Anyone came across or owns such a winch? What are your opinions about it? 

10 hours ago, ped said:

cheap enough to be worth a punt on and if you look for a more well known brand that looks the same you'll find they both made on th same production line

Not much experience or knowledge about winches, the price compared to what I can get locally is definitely cheap. What about the specs are they acceptable for a defender 90? I don't foresee it will be used often.

10 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Calling @elbekko.....

Yup, I have one. Same reason, cheap enough to take a punt on. Just the winch rope costs that much.

It works well. Seems well constructed and good quality. The rope held up to some heavy pulling on @Stellaghost's lightweight dead in deep mud.

So far the only thing I can fault it on is that the wireless remote is wired the wrong way around, but I'm sure that's just swapping two wires in the control box.

Picture of it in my bumper:

20230620_213655.thumb.jpg.7f58ea57a4c4a43f78bff7ea2b2a9bba.jpg

• Like 1

As the winchbitch on duty in Seven Sisters, I can confirm the above. The winch did a good job! We opened it before installing and it looks pretty decent, especially given the low price. As said above very similar to many other winches and they all do a pretty good job. If I wasn't so hell bent on hydro, I'd consider one myself.

Only downside is they're only available in 13500 it seems. Which means lower gearing and thus slower on most pulls. On the plus side, that also means less load on the motor and less current draw, so well suited for occasional (self) recovery.

• Haha 1

Great! 

They had a similar winch rated at 13000lb with 176:1  rather than 265:1 gearing, that could be faster... but had no shipping options for my location.

But then again, I don't think there'll be any particular hurry while winching as long as I get unstuck.

2 minutes ago, muzaz said:

But then again, I don't think there'll be any particular hurry while winching as long as I get unstuck.

Precisely. And honestly it's not even *that* slow, plenty fast for non-competition use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Escape said:

As the winchbitch on duty in Seven Sisters, I can confirm the above. The winch did a good job! We opened it before installing and it looks pretty decent, especially given the low price. As said above very similar to many other winches and they all do a pretty good job. If I wasn't so hell bent on hydro, I'd consider one myself.

Only downside is they're only available in 13500 it seems. Which means lower gearing and thus slower on most pulls. On the plus side, that also means less load on the motor and less current draw, so well suited for occasional (self) recovery.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Precisely. And honestly it's not even *that* slow, plenty fast for non-competition use.

Thanks, good to have some first hand experience, enough to convince myself! Just placed an order for one.🙂

• Like 2

As the stuckbitch on duty at Seven Sisters I can confirm first hand that the winch in question did a great job, still pulling nice with the rope well wound in, have to say it seemed better than my Warn 9000 on the back of Sid, looking to change that winch with the 13500lb Rhino winch I've just got hold of

Regards Stephen

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/12/2023 at 8:52 AM, elbekko said:

Yup, I have one. Same reason, cheap enough to take a punt on. Just the winch rope costs that much.

It works well. Seems well constructed and good quality. The rope held up to some heavy pulling on @Stellaghost's lightweight dead in deep mud.

So far the only thing I can fault it on is that the wireless remote is wired the wrong way around, but I'm sure that's just swapping two wires in the control box.

Picture of it in my bumper:

20230620_213655.thumb.jpg.7f58ea57a4c4a43f78bff7ea2b2a9bba.jpg

Are you using a separate battery for the winch or the main battery should be good enough?

It depends a bit on what sort of usage you think the winch will see. Especially for mainly self-recovery, it's unlikely you'll be winching for 10-20+ minutes continuously.

But a bigger alternator is never a bad idea, I would say.

• Like 1

65A isn't much, but then the TDi doesn't use much electricity either. I've never bothered upgrading the alternator or battery when running an electric winch. As long as it's for occasional (self) recovery, it will do just fine. Of course if there's an easy upgrade available, you might as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

Winch arrived, all in one piece at first look. Quite heavy! 

For now it will go back in the box, it will be a while before I put the vehicle all back in one piece but hopefully by the end of summer I should get there and mount the winch!

20230727_162737.thumb.jpg.eb5f6bde7971bef8ecd5df389bc5db45.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 10:04 PM, elbekko said:

Looks identical to mine :)

Yup!!

Did you take it apart to check it out, grease proper sealing etc or you just used it as it came? Noticed a couple of screws on the gearbox end which were not fully tight and my hands are itching to open it up and have a look inside! 🫣 

4 hours ago, nickwilliams said:

Luckly the winch is not in the list....but... taking a closer look at it I can see it needs some work done to it...not complaining tho, at €275 delivered I'm not expecting Warn quality.

So opened the electrical box and sure enough there are some issues, all fixable... the cable glands are all loose, the solenoids are not bolted down, the box has molded nuts and the solenoids have attachment holes but no bolts. Wiring is all over the place and kinked. Nothing I cannot fix. 

16907219980027250557068881480405.thumb.jpg.330944a2ef37db68c9bf013419a2e3f7.jpg

Let’s hope the inside of the winch itself is better nailed together.  As you said, it’s not a huge loss for that price, but a second hand winch of good providence may be a better outlay in the future.  It’s impossible to know whether these cheaper brands are worth a punt until a few people try them and report back, so I always appreciate it when others take that risk on behalf of the rest of us.

12 hours ago, muzaz said:

Yup!!

Did you take it apart to check it out, grease proper sealing etc or you just used it as it came? Noticed a couple of screws on the gearbox end which were not fully tight and my hands are itching to open it up and have a look inside! 🫣 

I took the gearbox off to clock it, and slightly modified the freespool lever to clock it 90 degrees. There were some seals there, can't remember any loose bolts. The freespool lever has a little seal on it, but also looked like it had an empty o-ring groove. But I couldn't immediately find one that fit.

All of that looked fine. Never got around to swapping out the grease, but probably should.

I did open the solenoid box, and saw it was a bit of a mess. But nothing too terrible. Could be I did tighten the cable glands a bit out of habit.

Time will tell if it's any good. I was half planning on using a set of Albrights anyway. And I have a 400A contactor in line with the winch so it's only powered when I turn it on.