Permanent usb power source

I might be missing something, or the answer might be "don't electrocute yourself" but isn't that capacitor bank a bit of a significant emotional event waiting to happen? Or is there an easy off switch I'm not seeing?

It won't help, but the cheapness, availability and simplicity of GPS/GSM/5G/WIFI jamming devices has even base level thieves operating on the level of serious organised criminals.

In my view, trackers are a less valuable security layer than they once were and the major deterrent is to increase the risk of being detected mid-crime.

Edited by ThreePointFive
Removed unhelpful point.

35 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I might be missing something, or the answer might be "don't electrocute yourself" but isn't that capacitor bank a bit of a significant emotional event waiting to happen? Or is there an easy off switch I'm not seeing?

If it helps, the cheapness, availability and simplicity of GPS/GSM/5G/WIFI jamming devices has even base level thieves operating on the level of serious organised criminals. They can sit vehicles in a jamming bubble until the batteries on any devices will long have run out.

Sleep well.

I am guessing it is now built into an enclosure.....

2 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I am guessing it is now built into an enclosure.....

👍

The 'off switch' is by unplugging the Anderson Connector.

"significant emotional event waiting to happen" Good expression! 🙂

It has a shunt resistor which discharges it over an hour or so. The amount of energy stored is actually quite small (4.3kJ).  Just to see what would happen, I tried shorting it out with an old Soviet 10,000A Vacuum Contactor.  The (35 sq mm) cables got quite warm, but nothing particularly exciting happened.

It looks Dangerous, but is probably less so than an average car battery and certainly less than a LiPo.

To be honest, most of my workshop - and indeed life is a significant emotional event waiting to happen!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

It won't help, but the cheapness, availability and simplicity of GPS/GSM/5G/WIFI jamming devices has even base level thieves operating on the level of serious organised criminals.

In my view, trackers are a less valuable security layer than they once were and the major deterrent is to increase the risk of being detected mid-crime.

I suspect this is probably true. A friend uses one in his van (it is tracked), so his employers cannot see that he has gone "off piste"

10 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I feel like the danger symbol at least validates my (unecessary) concern! I should have guessed there would be a solution.

A key point is it's still only holding 12v, even if it looks like something that should be able to shoot lightning bolts in reality it's no more dangerous than your car battery - a spanner dropped across either will lead to the aforementioned emotional event but it's not going to electrocute you the way a mains wire would.

14 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Having dealt with a stolen motorhome last year, I think they’re worth every penny, even a cheap and cheerful one.  Grandparents motorhome was stolen off their drive (Shirley) the night they got back from a trip. It was found 1/2 a mile away parked on another street the very next day.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:55 PM, ThreePointFive said:

Most of the jammers appear to plug into a cigar socket, so I've removed mine and swapped for a USB port only. Obviously if they turn up with a battery or usb one I'm foiled, though only for as long as they have it present and switched on.  Probably still remains the best chance you'll ever have of recovery, other seeing it a week later in pieces burnt out on landywatch . 

20 hours ago, fmmv said:

So tempting to make a cigar socket not cigar, eg reverse polarity, higher volts, AC fromthe W terminal to fry their kit

I think you guys are over-thinking this, a GPS jammer could be powered by a USB power bank in their pocket or just left running in a following car.

All you're likely to do is repeat SimonR's "naughty" OBD port experience and blow your own or someone else's kit up.