So why don’t it work?

The PU cable to the door switch is a 0V path for the lamp, not +12V.

In DOOR position on the lamp, the door switch provides a path to body (0V), in the same way that the lamp has a direct path to 0V (local to lamp), when the switch is in the ON position.

So I would say that the door switch locating screw is not connected to body. You should check for continuity from the that screw to battery -VE.

Edit (This all presumes that you haven't fitted a 10AS alarm unit)

image.png.3986013a39153fea35b26e8de0543d36.png

• Like 1

My interior light was working very intermittently (/poorly), I stripped the light unit itself down and found a lot of corrosion on the switch contacts. Cleaned all that off and now working as it should. (...though perhaps not the case if it was working with the previous loom) 

50 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

In DOOR position on the lamp, the door switch provides a path to body (0V), in the same way that the lamp has a direct path to 0V (local to lamp), when the switch is in the ON position.

So I would say that the door switch locating screw is not connected to body. You should check for continuity from the that screw to battery -VE.

Then you should see 12 volt on the multimeter between the PU and earth, yes?  Or do i need more coffee? 😁  After a second cup... Yes, 0 volt😂  The rusted terminals , sound like a plan

Edited by Wytze
Duhh

26 minutes ago, Wytze said:

Then you should see 12 volt on the multimeter between the PU and earth, yes?  Or do i need more coffee? 😁

No, the switch is on the 0V side of the lamp bulb. More coffee in the morning is always a good thing.

• Haha 1

You should still see 12V between the wire and earth, it will drop to 0 once connected to earth, as the voltage drop will then be across the bulb. 

If you don't have 12V then suspect the switch as above. 

As I recall, there are three terminals on the back of the lamps.  One is clearly direct to earth.  The others are for the live feed and the door switch (earth ).  Are you certain you have the right polarity?  You could have the feed on the earth side and the earth on the feed side.  That might not just prevent the door switches from working, but might also be a short circuit if my memory of their construction is correct.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

You should still see 12V between the wire and earth, it will drop to 0 once connected to earth, as the voltage drop will then be across the bulb.

I was going to say this and then thought not. I know that no current flow means no voltage drop and so +12V will be there. Also multimeters have very high impedance so don't load the circuit but I don't think I have tried to see if the floating +12V is actually measurable. Obviously it is. 😀

2 hours ago, PaulMc said:

The TD5 interior light(s) are controlled by the 10AS unit

Yes and if that unit has been fitted, the door switches are cabled back to it and there is a control cable from the 10AS up to the lamp.

That means there are three wires going to the lamp; +12V IGN, 10AS controlled 0V and permanent 0V.

The 10AS can then control the interior light when the switch in in DOOR. However it won't do anything after a door has been left open for >15 mins, unless the Driver's door is closed. This resets the timer.

9 hours ago, Peaklander said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 sorry,

are you saying the door plungers at just an earth???  
no switches as I have this wire stright to earth on battery 

3 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Yes and if that unit has been fitted, the door switches are cabled back to it and there is a control cable from the 10AS up to the lamp.

That means there are three wires going to the lamp; +12V IGN, 10AS controlled 0V and permanent 0V.

The 10AS can then control the interior light when the switch in in DOOR. However it won't do anything after a door has been left open for >15 mins, unless the Driver's door is closed. This resets the timer.

I have no 10 AS connected would that make a difference? 

2 minutes ago, Green200tdi said:

I have no 10 AS connected would that make a difference? 

Yep!

You'll have to modify the wiring to make the door switches switch the interior lights to earth.

Not too difficult, I'll see if I can dig-out a diagram.

25 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

There’s the diagram I posted earlier. 

The TD5 with the 10AS is slightly different -

InteriorLightsP.1.thumb.jpg.0daa6207996dba98a6101a6080933059.jpg

InteriorLightsP.2.thumb.jpg.360cc39270935b4787677c73e00f493c.jpg

To do away with the 10AS functionality, and revert to door-switched interior lights, you need to connect the following wires together -

PW (C0061-1), SW (C0061-5), and PU (C0061-16)

You can do this by cutting and splicing the wires at the Grey 10AS connector (C0061)

C0061Rear(CableEntry).jpg.067908568e655b024a0003f988c32060.jpg

(rear of connector)

If you wanted to keep the loom's integrity (for fitting a 10AS in future), I could make-up a plug-in to connect terminals 1, 5 and 16 together.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The pre-10AS wiring is easy and shown in the diagram I posted this morning. If that's what he is aiming for then it shouldn't take too much debugging.

If there is a 10AS unit fitted, as the OP suggests but the wiring isn't correct, or partly mixed with the 10AS method, then it will be confusing. I have explained how it functions and where the wires connect and @PaulMc has as usual, provided a wiring diagram and also an elegant solution to bypass the 10AS, if that is what is required.

I think I'll wait and see..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peaklander said:

@Green200tdi you have said it’s a 1986 110 but has a TD5 loom. Are you or have you ‘fitted’ the loom?

You appear to be sending this thread around the houses. 

No I’m just answering other questions, 

All I really needed was an answer why the door light wires weren't working,

and as ever people start with diagrams and how to by pass the 10AS,

as Ralph says 

my 1986 110 has a td5 compleat loom as the original was finished glowing fuses ect,

I was unable to get my interior light to come on when I earthed out the two front door wires but the light would light when in the ON possision, 

I then was told thu other posts the 10AS would need to be connected for the light to work with the doors 

I’ve miss placed my 10AS 

Hope this clears things up. 😊👍

• Confused 1