Second Row Leg Room

Hi Folks,

Looking for some "bracket arrangement" that could be fitted to our second row seats to provide more legroom.

@western Noticed in some old threads (2017) that you mentioned fitting some brackets to your Landy. Are these still generally available? Google not revealing much. Perhaps I could fabricate if no longer available. Would be interested in their design.

Thanks,

Simon...

That's lucky, I'd hate to think I'd played any part in someone paying that much money for a few bits of simple angle :lol:

I missed the seat type, because when you asked the question back in 2020, I was researching putting the 40/60 in my Ibex. I will go back to sleep ...

I mounted a d3 rearset years ago, and it has helped with the seat angle and footroom... but not perfect. I have always thought, that if one could cut holes from behond into the seatbox under the front seats/make a flatterende floor in the cabin, then there would be perfect foot/leg room... I just haven't gotten around to do/try it yet 🤣

Before the d3 seats I had the three pice type seats. On these I mounted two pieces of angle between the seatback and the base moving the back some 8 cm rearwords. That did help on the space, but again not perfect. (Maybe perfect actually doesn't exist?🥶)

/mads

On 9/7/2023 at 12:36 PM, toenden said:

I mounted a d3 rearset years ago, and it has helped with the seat angle and footroom... but not perfect. I have always thought, that if one could cut holes from behond into the seatbox under the front seats/make a flatterende floor in the cabin, then there would be perfect foot/leg room... I just haven't gotten around to do/try it yet 🤣

Before the d3 seats I had the three pice type seats. On these I mounted two pieces of angle between the seatback and the base moving the back some 8 cm rearwords. That did help on the space, but again not perfect. (Maybe perfect actually doesn't exist?🥶)

/mads

I have done similar. I fitted freelander1 rear seats to the middle row of my 110. I moved the whole lot back about four inches to make more leg room - it hasnt really affected the boot and can still use the original seatbelts with the way i have done it.

3 hours ago, rusty_wingnut said:

One of my best mods was to fit Puma seats all round on the 110. We've got much more space than we had with the previous three seat setup. 

Did that involve much cutting of wheel arches, etc...? Interesting to see how you managed to make that work.

On 9/8/2023 at 10:01 PM, vulcan bomber said:

I have a pair of front seats in the 2nd row, took some work, but there a significant improvement on what was there. Can supply the bits if you wanted to go that way.

Interested to see how you made that work. In particular if a re-bracket exercise of some chopping to wheel arches. Any pics would be awesome. Thanks.

I've vastly improved rear leg room with L322 rear seats. They just about fit in once the seat squabs are squashed a bit. Need a fair bit of fab work though as they need something to latch into. A 6ft tall person can sit in and still has headroom and plenty of leg room because the seats are way deeper than normal Defender seats. I only mounted them temporarily (permanently) without butchering the seat box. If I ever get a roundtuit I'd lower them a couple of inches but as the only things that go on there regularly are a 5 year old and three dogs it's largely irrelevant at the moment.

Unfortunately don't have any decent pics of the backseats.

DSC_0405.thumb.jpg.a24d0bdb9c0af6210e3dd150bc52b285.jpg

12 hours ago, simonpelly said:

Interested to see how you made that work. In particular if a re-bracket exercise of some chopping to wheel arches. Any pics would be awesome. Thanks.

It's a bit of a job in all honesty... It started when I realised the crossmember and upstand had all gone a bit powdery, and took the plunge after finding a complete set of Puma seats for just £300.

It's a well documented thing on Defender2, but basically there's two ways of doing it, both involve replacing the second row seat crossmember. While I was in there, I did both C pillars, and replaced the floorupstand. The tricky part was fitting the seat latches onto the A-frame crossmember, and this I will re-visit when I do the chassis. You can either choose to modify the front of the tub, and change the angle of those panels to match the TDCI tub using YRM panels, or you can simply notch the existing tub panels to clear the seats. I replaced both panels as I had both C pillars out.

Edited by rusty_wingnut
  • Like 1