200tdi block and pistons

As above, if anyone can help, why is the engine block I got today painted gold, I have googled this finding reasonable answers that unipart painted them gold after some re-con situation way back when, to the more bizarre goings on that the paint actually changed colour over time with the heat (might explain my kitchen walls and the wife cooking) to " your the lucky one" they are special, from export to import to Willy bloody Wonka.

Before starting this post I've had the head off this one particular engine assuming the unipart bit surely to god is the right answer, and to be honest worried that it may have been rebored and no further use on the block, not that the block or bores are seem bad, the bores measure 90.22 to 90.28 with a large TX stamped in the top of the piston, I have 2 other short engines here with no TX stamped in the pistons, plus 2 complete engines I know don't have this TX bit, can anybody shed some light on this aswell please, hope all this make sense, have a good weekend chaps

I have two disco 200tdi and both blocks are gold ish...if you scrub it long enough!

If it's a recon, most probably it was painted gold to reflect the original color 

post-4440-1202161152_thumb.jpgpost-4440-1202162792_thumb.jpg

The X and Y markings I believe correspond to the bore size. Mine was marked TY, you can just make it out if you zoom in.

• Like 1

Thanks fella, mine isn't quite as bright as that but that's good info, the others I have are either black or red oxide but after a lot of cleaning attention, thanks for getting back.

If that's your engine there in the photo, I'm very envious, all the best mate

In the old days you could get Gold Seal engines as an official rebuild from BL companies as a spare part. They were painted  gold. The engines were considered to be rebuilt but to a high standard irrespective of expense, basically as good as new. When Unipart was floated off originally as the parts division they presumably carried it on.

Edited by fmmv
  • Like 1

All this info's good guys thanks, my worry was reading the unipart re-con bit maybe it had been rebored years ago and it maybe bolloxed now, a little more reassuring not that it cost a fortune, 

Fmmv, I spoke to mate after sending this post and he's basically said the same, not going to get on the British industry bit but I suppose there was some pride in what everybody did back then and quality mattered, nice one fella, and as above with what my friend said and you've put on the post, certainly reassured me

Thanks all

22 minutes ago, western said:

ERR1390 or 1391 depending on bore diameter, on page 175 in 110 parts book 1987 onwards, it's on Retroanaconda.com 

Agreed, however if you zoom in to the piston crown (photo at the top of the thread) you can just make out a part no, and its definitely not err1390 or err1391, can you see it?

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Just STD, +20 and +40, as far as I know.

Yea, but there's some confusion regarding the part numbers on the actual piston and those on the parts list. 

The STD piston has two part nos, one slightly larger than the other due to bore tollerance during production, hence the TX and TY markings on the piston crown. Still these are regarded as STD size which should be Err1390 or Err1391.

Yeah that I know thanks, I did a bit of googling today it turns out that the ERR1387 is slightly oversize from factory due to machining on a standard size piston, I suppose a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon engine.

As for the ERR1391 can't find anything about that, Turners are on holiday, well Richard and Freda are so can't ask them at the moment either, thanks for getting back mate

It is my understanding that Defender spec 200Tdi, the blocks were painted a metallic gold colour. The Discovery 200tdi blocks were painted a metallic light green/blue colour, and the 300Tdi blocks were painted black.

OK fella, I've got a 12L engine here in gold, not quite as bright as Muzaz's engine but gold all the same, the others I have are black and as damn it red oxide, I've got a 19j here aswell that's red oxide and the 300tdi I've got is grey, buggered if I know fella, 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2023 at 1:37 PM, western said:

I have a 200Tdi repower kit flyer at home, I will add a photo when I get home from work later, it has a photo of the gold painted block on it, my engine was factory fresh in 1994, so that's good enough for me. 

Here are the photos of the Repower kit info, the photos show a grey or silver engine block, but mine was definitely gold as can be seen in my 200Tdi rebuild thread. 

IMG_20231005_172718.jpg

IMG_20231005_172727.jpg

IMG_20231005_172740.jpg

IMG_20231005_172749.jpg

IMG_20231005_172808.jpg

IMG_20231005_172821.jpg

• Like 1

They are nice things to have fella, did try to read it all but going a bit boss eyed trying to read it all on a phone, I'll have a look on a computer size screen when i get home, I did find out a bit more about this err1387 part number on the pistons if anyone is interested, it was a factory standard but larger than the err1390 and the elusive err1391 and unfortunately unavailable now, so a rebore for me on that particular block, suppose it'll give me something to do