Plastic coating removal and painting chrome

Defender

Does anyone know a tried and tested method of removing plastic coating from wheels? They are chrome underneath if that makes a difference.

Once removed what is the best way to paint chrome, can I just key the surface and undercoat and paint or do I need to do something in particular?

12 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Bonfire. Then shot blast. 

Have to say this is the only way I managed to sort it out on a few parts I had, flames and burnage -  dont even try give it to a shot blaster initially, you'll likely get it thrown back at your head.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ped said:

dip tank for powder coating then chrone removal kit(reverse to chrome plating)the blat and paint

Well, I was confused perhaps others found it easy, perhaps others successfully do crosswords, which after early trials I now avoid.

If it helps others, for 'chrone' read chrome and for 'the blat and paint' read then blast and paint.

The guidance then reads 'dip tank for powder coating, then chrome removal kit (the opposite polarity to chrome plating) then blast and paint '.

I hope ..... Regards.

• Like 1

On 10/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, David Sparkes said:

Well, I was confused perhaps others found it easy, perhaps others successfully do crosswords, which after early trials I now avoid.

If it helps others, for 'chrone' read chrome and for 'the blat and paint' read then blast and paint.

The guidance then reads 'dip tank for powder coating, then chrome removal kit (the opposite polarity to chrome plating) then blast and paint '.

I hope ..... Regards.

i hav a dysleexic computer and some buttons do't always work

Thanks for all the replies, admittedly I was hoping for 'buy this paint stripper and it will do the job', but as that's not an option I may have to have a think. They are nothing special as such just some Rockathon single bead lock wheels.

I would like some double bead locks though, so if anyone has any double bead locks preferably ART or Hutchinson for sale I'd be interested, obviously not if they are plastic coated though 🤣.