Water Pump???

I simply tried to find out, which coolant is used for an existing material mix.

The mix is cast iron for the block, Aluminium for the head and copper for the rads.

Nobody can tell that. What if the rads are changed to modern Al rads? No more copper, change of coolant? Normally yes, but ...

My conclusion: Everything is better than pure water. The rest is not really important. Antifreeze and corrosion protection is in every coolant.

They can all be mixed, so maybe the main characteristics are all the same. What I am still interested in  is electrochemical behaviour due to different materials in the coolant circle. But nobody is able to tell that. Only which coolant belongs to which (stock) vehicle.

Just an example: The rad is not grounded. Exists there an electrochemical voltage, which can corrode the rad? If so, which coolant can avoid that given the material of the rad? Can the voltage be avoided, when grounding the rad?

Edited by Sigi_H

As Mossberg said, same as Mineral Oil can have a similar effect on certain seas and gaskets!?! Hence doing home work on what engine year/model you have and heeding the advice given by manufactures. If some one wants to experiment with various different products and report back their findings is great!?! But i AIN'T doing it with MY motor!!!.....And even when enough people come back with positive feedback on something, I am still sceptical about trying it myself!?!

@Sigi-H surely the Radiator IS already grounded as it's bolted to the body, body to chassis!?! Plus that's one hell of a technical way of thinking, way to deep for an old fart like me 🤪 i like simple, but then does raise the question? Why the F*** do i have a Land Rover!?! oh well.

Edited by Mutley

I like it simple as well, but I also like to understand technical principles.

Electrochemical corrosion is for sure something to understand for a Land Rover owner. Not only on the bodywork.

Edited by Sigi_H
  • Thanks 1

So are we saying if for whatever reason we change/swap the radiator for an Ally type then OAT coolant/antifreeze can be used???..... Or are there other components within the 300Tdi engines water system it can affect???

At present I'm still running the original radiator, so none OAT Coolant is the right choice for me.

To save any future issues and uncertainty I will stick with Ethylene Glycol WITHOUT the OAT!

But all information given on this matter is VERY interesting and HELPFUL as always!!!

But come next time I need to know all this, you can rest assured I will have forgotten it all!?! 🤣

I have been dealing with this issue since I had a new mesh installed in my original radiator. Before that I had a Britpart cooler with an aluminium mesh.
I noticed that everyone could tell me which coolant was original, but nobody knew why and nobody could say anything about the material mix. So it was all just parroting from books without any basic knowledge.
The most neutral is certainly ethylene glycol, but unfortunately without corrosion protection. I used it often in the lab for cooling, but only for short time usage.