What is a reasonably priced roll cage?

Paul64

Hi,

I was thinking of having a roll cage fitted to my LR. I thought it would make a good safety feature for the business. What is a reasonable price for a full body cage for a 110? Can you recommend a company that is both reasonably priced, and can do the would in a reasonable time?

Thanks in advance.

Paul.

I'd echo Chris' comments,

If customers see a roll cage, they're IMHO quite likely to think it may be relevant to the sort of driving you'll be doing. if that's the case, no problem, but if your tour is akin to greenlaning, the sight of a cage (and the reaction people might have to it) could be detrimental.

Protection and perfomance did mine for the orange 90.

It is very well made, coated and is a good fit with equal gaps to the bodywork all round.

protectionandperformance.co.uk

Prices change from time to time, so I'd contact them and tell them exactly what you want.

They had to build mine to fit the vehicle.

I say do it, paint it body colour if you don't want it to stand out - it's your safety (and that of your passengers). The last thing you want to be thinking at that horrible moment when it's going wrong is 'I wish', and LRs are awful crumply when upside down.

Or go for an internal cage...

Mine was £680 a few years ago.

barna.JPG

External front hoop, 3 internal hoops, the one behind the front seats is braced both ways, the one behand the second row has provision for dog-guard/bracing.

The chap who did it has moved and said he would never ever do another one!

Will :)

External front hoop, 3 internal hoops, the one behind the front seats is braced both ways, the one behand the second row has provision for dog-guard/bracing.

I like the fact this 110 cage is not OTT, as it's not on a full time challenge vehicle.

A mix of internal and external makes it look a lot more subtle.

Richard

I normaly pay around £700-1000 for custom made fitted

Now that is my kind of price range. Who does it for that price?

I have considered the internal, external and combination roll cages. The main advantage of external is space, but opposed to impression given

I'm going to get flamed for this, but it has to be said.....

Don't forget that an external cage without internal cross bracing is not a roll cage - it is only a tree fender.

No flaming from me Bish - totally correct mate. ;)

I've got a full external cage on my 110 csw from Protection and Performance. Very substantial and although not cross braced, offers a lot more protection to both the bodywork and the occupants than no cage at all...

Matt

No flaming from me Bish - totally correct mate. ;)

I've got a full external cage on my 110 csw from Protection and Performance. Very substantial and although not cross braced, offers a lot more protection to both the bodywork and the occupants than no cage at all...

Matt

Correct but...

Also bear in mind an internal cage of any sort, if the occupants aren't wearing full harnesses, is probably more likely to kill the occupants (especially tall ones) in a high speed on road rollover than having the roof land on their head.

To demonstrate why, take a 2" steel pipe and smash somebody across the back of the head with it at 50mph... then imagine somebody flailing around inside a rolling vehicle being held by only a normal seatbelt :huh:

Some businesses here fit cages to their Defenders following "health and safety studies" - I reckon its mad but hey, the customer is always right :)

I'm going to get flamed for this, but it has to be said.....

Don't forget that an external cage without internal cross bracing is not a roll cage - it is only a tree fender.

Very true, Bish. However, I had a very simerlar thing on my truck for severla years and even after repeated heavy tree contacts and winching the vehicle over (to change wheels when I popped tyres off the beads) it was still straight and square on the body even though it deflected a bit when winched over.

This roll also didn't damage the cage or vehicle involved. Admittedly it wasn't a heavy roll BUT i've seen simerlar rolls in uncaged vehicles where pretty much every pannel got bent (the other side was worse but I can't find a piccy):

DSC01152.jpg

Que new roof, side panels, tub, windscreen frame and one door, IIRC, which wouldn't have been damaged in a caged vehicle.

Now that is my kind of price range. Who does it for that price?

I have considered the internal, external and combination roll cages. The main advantage of external is space, but opposed to impression given

Stunning services in Bournemouth.

his cages have saved my life three times now is some major end over rolls while competing at speed.

there not powder coated or anything just tube bent to what you want within reason.

In litigation happy world I'd say get a cage. What i would suggest is perhaps getting a roofrack or storage boxes built in to the top area on the 110. It will stop looking like a cage and start looking like a storage feature IMHO.

I guess it may also be useful.. but someone walks up and sees a roofrack, they don't see a roll cage.