300tdi , bit of a leak

Hi all , it’s been a while, so finally getting round to finishing my project 300 tdi auto 90 , got everything done today with the help of the stepson so went for the first start .

Electrics were all working fine but nothing on start , found that problem got the starter relay earth wired to gearbox so only starts when in park and was a bad earth. Once that was sorted tried starting bled fuel system , built up oil pressure and she coughed into life , reved her a bit and she settled down at tick over nicely then spat the oil out , turned her off before we could see where it was coming from, seems to be here somewhere,

IMG_0863.thumb.jpeg.6c271429c66bfeb329a3bba40331330f.jpeg

IMG_0862.thumb.jpeg.baa061ed02512abca3984fd3ff7ad81f.jpeg

any ideas where it could be coming from? There was quite a lot, I’m at a loss but thinking oil filter housing? 
 All help much appreciated cheers Ian.

My guess would be from the breather separator pot on the side of the head, or the hoses from it.  I think you need to wash the at oil off, dry the engine and then watch while someone else fires it up again.  I don’t think you’ll risk any harm.

• Like 1

It could be a small core plug near the skew gear or the filter housing (or gasket).  To spew very quickly, it must be under a fair bit of pressure.  How long did it take to lose the 2L?  I think you should run it briefly under observation and no load - it should be readily apparent where the leak is.

• Like 1

From memory it does, there's a tab on the HG with holes in to indicate thickness, again from memory without going to workshop to look it should be behind the inj. pump , as Nick says whatever it is , it's oil under delivery pressure. If it's the wrong way up there will also be a square corner sticking out where the block/head are angled...again from memory:D ...this sort of thing gets shoved away in the darker archives eh haha

Steve

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, steve b said:

From memory it does, there's a tab on the HG with holes in to indicate thickness, again from memory without going to workshop to look it should be behind the inj. pump , as Nick says whatever it is , it's oil under delivery pressure. If it's the wrong way up there will also be a square corner sticking out where the block/head are angled...again from memory:D ...this sort of thing gets shoved away in the darker archives eh haha

Steve

The tab with the holes that denotes head gasket thickness is behind the seperator below 3rd injector

• Like 1

@Peaklander just asked on my rebuild thread about cam shaft seal but no oil came from the drain hole at the base of the timing case . The more I think about it the more I think it’s from the oil filter housing, as the majority of the oil fell that side of the engine , the highest point it hit was that corner it was dry from that point back but some had sot over run across the top of the timing case and run down the other side .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

@Peaklander just asked on my rebuild thread about cam shaft seal but no oil came from the drain hole at the base of the timing case . The more I think about it the more I think it’s from the oil filter housing, as the majority of the oil fell that side of the engine , the highest point it hit was that corner it was dry from that point back but some had sot over run across the top of the timing case and run down the other side .

That would do it and so much simpler than an upside down HG

Steve

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

Cheers @hurbie looks like I’ve been a numpty 🤭 . I’m guessing it’s best not to reuse the head gasket?

There are differing views, but for the effort and potential consequences versus the relatively low cost, I wouldn’t chance it.

The black bungs above the cam shaft are likely to have oil under pressure, so I’d still spin the engine over with the fuel solenoid disconnected to see if you get oil spurt from anywhere other than the head gasket - it might not be the only source.

• Like 1

Have a look in the rocker housing.  An inverted head gasket will block the head oil feed, starving the rocker shaft and tappets, the only oil present being from initial filling.  Don’t fret - it is unlikely you caused any harm in such a short idle run as long as the rocker shaft was assembled with oil.

• Like 1

In that case, I would be extremely surprised if you got any rocker shaft damage or wear even if the head gasket is inverted.  The valve stems caps would be worth looking at as you remove the head, but they should have protected the rocker pads.

• Like 1

Thank you all for the help it’s much appreciated, so been out tonight for a quick look and take a few more photos. First up checked H D , it is on the wrong way , checked in case I’d  swapped it for some reason , then checked oil . Before start up it was nearly et full and we put a drop more in , dipstick shows none but opened sump plug and there is some oil in . Haven’t stripped anything off yet just looked .

So pics , first removed oil filler cap 

IMG_0872.thumb.jpeg.7bb302e435eb5dd1801c6c3375f5e774.jpeg

wasn’t loads of oil but it wasn’t dry in there , front cover at bottom was dry,

IMG_0870.thumb.jpeg.931f0eafed962844b6b651abc1c5bd57.jpeg

the oil appears to have landed mostly on the axle ,

IMG_0866.thumb.jpeg.cf5fd1e3c8ac9b41ef1cfbdf8d787cc1.jpeg

then of various places around the oil filter,

IMG_0868.thumb.jpeg.9f634efe45b6f992fd77fb6eea7e7625.jpeg

IMG_0865.thumb.jpeg.562894216b0d0553e94afe6facb00be9.jpeg

IMG_0867.thumb.jpeg.c800a9d2b41f7e52625fc73fc762cebd.jpeg

IMG_0869.thumb.jpeg.bf054138f6be11d6087e09d0b399df39.jpeg

IMG_0864.thumb.jpeg.2c8422e6ce08a56454d272178ebc0c9b.jpeg

So I’ll strip it down the weekend and post up what I find, have ordered new H D , head bolts and top gasket set .

Cheers Ian 

• Like 1

Painting the block a bright colour is a good thing - as your pic's show - any oil shows up really well. 

Still a simple fix Ian and looks a cracking build. 

That oil leak is the supply to the top end so the fact the top was not dry shows your oil pump is tip-top too

Steve