Phone trouble post Samsung/Android update??

Blanco

I have a Doogee S96 Pro, I think its about 3 years old now. runs Android 10.

Just recently i got a message from Tesco mobile (Ireland, it is different, but not sure how) saying that if I was having trouble with mobile data (now refuses to connect) to get in touch. It seems that Samsung have altered something and the data settings need tweaking.

I have been on to Tesco customer service and put in all the recommended tweaks to the access point names, and no joy at all.

If I look at system updates the last is 2021,  security updates  simply says up to date, not seeing anything amiss, but also not clear that my phone has recently downloaded anything?

This afternoon I went into the store and updated the SIM, it swapped over very easily but made no difference.

For my roadtrip tomorrow it looks like I will be using my UK SIM on 'Roaming' which btw works perfectly in the same phone and is unaffected.

Any thoughts? I read something about clearing cache, but not sure how to access it, elsewhere there is loads of memory free, Tesco just tell me I need to update the phone, but reluctant to do that unless absolutely necessary. Any ideas welcome.

If your other SIM works fine in the phone, chances are it is the SIM card / the network for that card.

Try the SIM in another phone if you can and see what happens.

IF it doesn't work in that phone either, it seems card / network settings are at fault

Tesco are O2, my mate in the biz says networks are starting to turn off 3G but that shouldn't affect a modern phone.

Unless you're in a weird dead-zone that has 3G but no 4G and your phone is/was picking that up, and they're suggesting you buy one with 5G?

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Tesco are O2,

Vodafone over here,.. it does go O2 if I roam back over to the UK. There are areas where we only get 3G, but generally this is happening with 4G available

2 hours ago, Blanco said:

Vodafone over here,.. it does go O2 if I roam back over to the UK. There are areas where we only get 3G, but generally this is happening with 4G available

I have had this is before with my iphone 14 pro max after an Apple update.

If you ring Vodafone, explain the problem, and they will send an SMS to your phone which automatically updaters the data settings and access point data.

16 hours ago, elbekko said:

Try to wrangle out of them *why* you need an update

I will go back to them today, previously they have told me that it is mainly Samsung phones affected, and it is something Samsung did, which I am taking means they altered the Android OS in some way?? My phone runs fairly straight Android with very little overlay by Doogee.

10 hours ago, Bull Bar Cowboy said:

If you ring Vodafone, explain the problem

I am not a Vodafone customer, I don't think they would send me anything? Tesco Mobile is piggybacked onto the Vodafone network

58 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I will go back to them today, previously they have told me that it is mainly Samsung phones affected, and it is something Samsung did, which I am taking means they altered the Android OS in some way?? My phone runs fairly straight Android with very little overlay by Doogee.

Every OEM has their own build of Android, with anything from very few to many, many changes. Samsung does quite a lot of changes. Honestly I haven't even ever heard of Doogee, and I suspect customer support heard a model with "S" in the name and thought it was some sort of Samsung phone.

I've found this, worth a try?
https://apn-uk.gishan.net/en/apn/tesco/doogee-s96-gt

Thanks, interesting link, but I think it is probably the UK version. Anyhow ***SOLVED*** it , just now !!!!

I watched a couple of generic Samsung/Android vids on youtube and one thing that came up was updating the Apps installed, I can't see how it changes anything, but 53 apps just updated themselves (that must be all of them just about!) and with a restart all seems good, hooray. One app somewhere must have been blocking something?

Thanks everyone for your support, appreciated.

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Every OEM has their own build of Android, with anything from very few to many, many changes. Samsung does quite a lot of changes. Honestly I haven't even ever heard of Doogee

Chinese brand. Make mostly pretty decent phones, known for their rugged phones. They like to describe their distributed OS as completely stock Android (which is more or less true so far as I can tell - the only non-standard software I could find on mine was an app to control some rather tasteless indicator lights on the back of the phone).

I was tempted by a Doogee when I found out they do one with a pretty damn good thermal imagine camera built-in for not much more than the price of a decent thermal imaging camera.

Big Clive on Youtube has had at least one and done a couple of reviews, they look decent enough.

As it stand I keep getting hand-me-down Samsungs and since IDGAF about phones I can never bring myself to spend £300+ on one.

I had a Doogee S96 pro and it served me well despite my rough handling. Unfortunately it bricked for no apparent reason, fortunately it happened just days before the warranty expired so it was exchanged for a Nokia Android. That one was fine up until an update which proved to be incompatible with my truck )can’t recall specifics). I got fed up trying to sort it so my wife now has that phone, I went back to an IPhone whose CarPlay works well in the vehicle.

On 1/25/2024 at 4:45 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

Unless you're in a weird dead-zone that has 3G but no 4G and your phone is/was picking that up, and they're suggesting you buy one with 5G?

Weird maybe…. But plenty of places around rural Oxfordshire with either only 3G, ghost 3G that does nothing, or any signal at all!