OT - Good quality file - Saw bench sharpening

I have a cordwood saw for the back of one of the tractors with a 30 inch diameter blade. When I have sharpened it previously with a file I managed to get it cutting really well. Once it dulled my old man decided to have a go with an angle grinder which was no where near as precise.

I have taken him back out of the equation and want to sharpen it properly. What make/grade of file would people suggest? Its a tedious job (76 teeth) so I want something that cuts well and will last. Picture for attention!

Saw.thumb.jpg.ccfbda61149c529d7b29cf2f6d458e99.jpg

13 hours ago, vulcan bomber said:

The subject of files came up in the tools section fairly recently, have a look in there 

Thanks just found it (and I realise I should have posted in there!)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

A diamond stone might be a better choice than a file, but it depends how soft the blade is.

Mike

Never heard of this, I think it will be too hard for this option

Quite the contry if it's hard a diamond stone will be better than a file. They are a replacement for old school oil/wet stones they come in different grades and are usually a lump of steel with diamonds on. eBay link picked at random so you know what I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133282627721?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vIRMQk85RKm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=rj9sNdGlTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Quite the contry if it's hard a diamond stone will be better than a file. They are a replacement for old school oil/wet stones they come in different grades and are usually a lump of steel with diamonds on. eBay link picked at random so you know what I'm talking about.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133282627721?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=vIRMQk85RKm&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=rj9sNdGlTqa&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Mike

I could be being very dense here...but they look to take off only a tiny amount of material as they are practically smooth? The issue is you need to take a reasonable amount off in places if the saw has hit a nail. They look more like the bitchers knife sharpeners which straighten out the end of the blade as opposed to taking much material out of the knife?

I will take a picture of the blade and the teeth. They are probably 2.5cm high

Once it is sharpened up it will buzz through 8 by 8 inch timber no problem

The old cordwood saw is unlikely to be 'tipped' at all, it isn't even likely to be HSS and filing is perfectly usual. One problem is that modern files are essentially disposable now. Best tip I have for that job is to buy a graded set from Bahco or the like and treat it a bit like a chainsaw, even the teeth up with the course and medium files and put the alternate 'set' on them and then put an 'edge' on  them with the fine file. A fairly large round file will help keep the gullet shape going 

Work smart, set the blade up on a table/bench, with a pin or bearing to rotate on and set guides at the outside radius to help with repeatability. Keep your hands off the files, wear gloves, modern files hate being handled. Time in set up massively reduces time spent sharpening. If you have a lot to do, try and get a second blade, use the set up to do two then you can keep working for longer. HTSH

Can't say I've ever found issues with handling files.... more of a problem is when people use them on lathes and wear out a section. Also I don't find file cards much use for cleaning out when clogged, and can damage them, so I always keep a bit of ali bar around for cleaning out instead. 

43 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Also I don't find file cards much use for cleaning out when clogged, and can damage them, so I always keep a bit of ali bar around for cleaning out instead. 

Surprised at this  in my experience aluminium clogs files up something rotten. If you want to help your file clog up less or make it easier to clean try rubbing some engineers chalk over the teeth before filing, then a file card

Regards Stephen 

If I'm filing ali then a bit of any old chalk works nicely. 

For the cleaning out, you use the ali bar along the alignment of the teeth (so usually some kind of diagonal across the file) to push the stuck bits out. Always found it more effective than the file card... and several time-served tool makers I've worked with always swore that file cards weren't any good for file longevity.

Use the flat file that you would reduce the guides on a chainsaw chain. These old circular saws of death are meant to filed to any flat file you can get in there is good