Off topic eBay fraud but I expect it is happening with LR stuff too.

Having a scan through lathes on eBay and came across a very cheap Harrison M500 which looked more than a bit familiar as a friend of mine owns it, I know exactly where it is, he is definitely not selling it or in Northern Ireland, the pictures are from the original sale when he bought it (for considerable more than the listing now). The listing is quoting free UK delivery and since it weighs over 2 tonnes that seem unlikely, just loading it on to a lorry and transporting it over to mainland UK would be a serious cost. I can only assume they will get someone to buy it and then disappear before the buyer realises it hasn't turned up. I assume the eBay account has been hacked so the legitimate and presumable unknowing owner of the account, which is a few years old, is likely to get some grief when it all goes wrong. I have made a report to eBay and also notified the original seller (the pictures are in his workshop) but it might not be easy to prove its fraud, at least if I have reported it if/when it goes wrong it should be easier for the account holder to prove its not them, not likely to help any purchaser though. I have also messaged the "seller" to ask for a time to go round and see it running, doubt I will get a reply.

I know its not a LR but I would be surprised if there isn't LR vehicles or parts listed in a similar way, so be careful out there, I think the old adage of it seems to good/cheap to be true it probable is still holds true.

• Thanks 1

It’s rampant, especially Facebook sales, where 90% or more of car parts in dedicated models pages are scammers.  There is a strong argument to have remotely triggered explosives in all online devices…

• Like 1

Absolutely everything and everywhere. Even buying something like shoes from random sites is not immune.

Hate to say it, but at least with eBay you have more than half a chance. Not so good for sellers though, unless you do cash on collection only, which of course severly limits your target audience, as it seems that not many nowadays are prepared to drive any further than the end of their street to collect. 

I sent a message on Marketplace asking for details of a 101FC for £10k converted to a camper. It was unclear if it was for sale or hire. The ‘seller’ simply said we have five. So then I asked for confirmation of the V5, interior pics, history etc.

The answer was something like “it’s all new mate”. That was all.

I’m still not sure as the seller doesn’t have a whole load of stupidly cheap vehicles  

• Like 1

Rule #1: It's always a scam.

Just by the law of averages - if 90% of everything advertised online these days is a scam then assume it's always a scam and you'll mostly be proved right.

I have to say I've had positive experiences with ebay's teams, they are quick and responsive to sort stuff like that out. I guess eBay make money directly off being a secure trading site so have more interest in it than facebook who are just there to monetise your every thought word and photo.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sean f said:

Having a scan through lathes on eBay and came across a very cheap Harrison M500 which looked more than a bit familiar as a friend of mine owns it, I know exactly where it is, he is definitely not selling it or in Northern Ireland, the pictures are from the original sale when he bought it (for considerable more than the listing now). The listing is quoting free UK delivery and since it weighs over 2 tonnes that seem unlikely, just loading it on to a lorry and transporting it over to mainland UK would be a serious cost. I can only assume they will get someone to buy it and then disappear before the buyer realises it hasn't turned up. I assume the eBay account has been hacked so the legitimate and presumable unknowing owner of the account, which is a few years old, is likely to get some grief when it all goes wrong. I have made a report to eBay and also notified the original seller (the pictures are in his workshop) but it might not be easy to prove its fraud, at least if I have reported it if/when it goes wrong it should be easier for the account holder to prove its not them, not likely to help any purchaser though. I have also messaged the "seller" to ask for a time to go round and see it running, doubt I will get a reply.

I know its not a LR but I would be surprised if there isn't LR vehicles or parts listed in a similar way, so be careful out there, I think the old adage of it seems to good/cheap to be true it probable is still holds true.

I am fairly new to facetube and had my account hacked. The hacker deleted all my ads and posted new ones, Certainly not the LR stuff I had listed. People srtarted making enquiries and I just ignored them thinking it was spam. Then someone got in contact because they hadn't been able to contact me via the redirect. He was very good about it after I discovered what had happened and we both worked out the scam.

12 hours ago, Simon_CSK said:

I am fairly new to facetube and had my account hacked. The hacker deleted all my ads and posted new ones, Certainly not the LR stuff I had listed. People srtarted making enquiries and I just ignored them thinking it was spam. Then someone got in contact because they hadn't been able to contact me via the redirect. He was very good about it after I discovered what had happened and we both worked out the scam.

Someone did similar to my eBay account, listed a load of JBL speakers - eBay were very good about it and quick to fix it. Still no idea how they got in in the first place.

What surprises me with this one is, is any one buying a full size industrial lathe going to do it with out seeing it first (if its had heavy use it could be basically scrap) and does any one really think they will get free UK delivery on a lathe which weighs 2.3 tonnes. It's going to need a pretty hefty hi ab to get it on and off the lorry bed or a separate crane of some sort. When we did actually move this lathe the seller loaded it with his crane and it was unloaded with a big industrial sized forklift (borrowed from nearby business), to do this at a commercial cost would be serious money.

Listing is still up despite me and the original seller reporting it, I guess there could be a claim he is only reusing the pictures but I would say even that makes it a dodgy listing since they show the condition (which was very good). Not to surprisingly he hasn't responded to my request to come and see it!.

• Like 1

I'm moderately sure you could file a copyright claim for using the picture, sometimes these companies have a faster track for the commercial stuff than the legal stuff...

15 hours ago, sean f said:

What surprises me with this one is, is any one buying a full size industrial lathe going to do it with out seeing it first (if its had heavy use it could be basically scrap) and does any one really think they will get free UK delivery on a lathe which weighs 2.3 tonnes. It's going to need a pretty hefty hi ab to get it on and off the lorry bed or a separate crane of some sort. When we did actually move this lathe the seller loaded it with his crane and it was unloaded with a big industrial sized forklift (borrowed from nearby business), to do this at a commercial cost would be serious money.

Listing is still up despite me and the original seller reporting it, I guess there could be a claim he is only reusing the pictures but I would say even that makes it a dodgy listing since they show the condition (which was very good). Not to surprisingly he hasn't responded to my request to come and see it!.

People buy all kinds of things sight unseen big and small. I buy cars very often without seeing them and have my brother collect them and move them 2,3,400 miles.