Soft Shackles

leeds

The idea of soft shackles was mentioned by Streaky on the Bridles thread. Seemed a good idea so I made some enquiries.

Have just spoken to the UK importer of them.

Cost of the black 10,000kg soft shackle made from 14mm plasma is £40 each including VAT BUT excluding carriage

OUCHHHHHH

Come on Andy, where are yours now?

I will buy half a dozen of them at £4 apiece

Wonder how much Streaky and co paid for them in the UAE?

Regards

Leeds

Guest diesel_jim
If you were to double line a Milemarker ... that would be 4700kg x 2 not far off

mind you, you'd be able to see it about to break, then take a gentle meander away whilst stopping for a picnic and admiring the view before it did actually break....

coat/hat/slam! :ph34r::ph34r:

Nope, double lining halves the load on the winch for a given pull, but load on the snatch block will be twice what the winch is pulling. So if you max the winch out the snatch block will see double whatever the winch can pull.

Streaky and the guys in the UAE had the yellow shackles, whatever they are rated to.

Must admit after the shock of the cost of the black ones I forgot to ask the price of the other ones.

Will go back later and report back.

Will be interesting to see how much the 2,000 and 5,000 kgs ones are. Although the guy did say that there was about an hours labour in making a black one. Can't see how the labour costs will vary dramatically on the lighter ones though.

Regards

Leeds

Nope, double lining halves the load on the winch for a given pull, but load on the snatch block will be twice what the winch is pulling. So if you max the winch out the snatch block will see double whatever the winch can pull.

Streaky and the guys in the UAE had the yellow shackles, whatever they are rated to.

The Black 10k ones are the latest in the cataloge of soft shackles. At the time...the yellow ones were the highest rated in the range.

I threw the packaging away...but IIRC they were 7500k.

I can't remember what I paid for them either...we got together at the club and bought a job lot in one go. I actually paid for mine on the morning after a mega campout with the most stonking hangover....I could have paid 500 quid each and still wouldn't be any the wiser today!

Let me get onto the club and see what we paid....perhaps you'd get some leverage on the pricing. Now Andy knows not to charge anything over 39 quid!....leave sales to the pro's mate!

Regards.

S.

PS. Mark. Got the 8274 wired up and running over the weekend.....jobs a goodun' mate. I fixed the hand controller...or rather one of my tea pickers did. Chat soon.

Must admit after the shock of the cost of the black ones I forgot to ask the price of the other ones.

Will go back later and report back.

Will be interesting to see how much the 2,000 and 5,000 kgs ones are. Although the guy did say that there was about an hours labour in making a black one. Can't see how the labour costs will vary dramatically on the lighter ones though.

Regards

Leeds

The yellow ones are rated at 2500kgs, the price we paid including shipping was about 30Euro's

I have used mine on a regular basis and they are fine, I tend to use 2 on the hook at the same time to spread the load

Jason

Mo,

Your punishment is to go and smite diesel_jim repeatedly about the face with a wheel brace for being cheeky :angry:

I presume these just work by making the loop only just big enough to fit over the knot?

It doesn't look all that difficult just to make one - even with my lousy knot-tying abilities!

Si

I presume these just work by making the loop only just big enough to fit over the knot?

It doesn't look all that difficult just to make one - even with my lousy knot-tying abilities!

Si

I thought that the loop was made by passing one end of the 'rope' (for want of a more accurate word) back through it's own side and then down it's own centre (if you see what I mean) and then tying the knot in the double thickness end, leaving an adjustable loop at the other end... Therefor the loop can be opened to admit the knot and then tightened up - and indeed it would tighten under load so that there is no way the knot could go through. Once unloaded the loop would be easy to slacken off allowing the removal of the knotted end. Or is that what you meant?

Rog

p.s. I have never seen one so apologies if the above is utter cod's :)