obviously this is my lucky year......

miketomcat

What with everything else that's broken this year, I booked an MOT for next week so immediately the engine started sounding a little more clattery. Well now it's really clattery from start up when cold. It quietens down once warmed up a bit. Sounds front end but performance doesn't seem to be effected.

Mike

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Jon White said:

300tdi? I’ve seen one where the water pump failed and although not leaking allowed the shaft to walk back and forth such that the pulley retaining bolts were hitting the pump body. Made a terrible noise!

200 but I think this maybe similar.

Mike

• Like 1

I had to drive it for three days making a hell of a racket. I had a horrible feeling it was timing belt related, but the once warmed up thing made no sense. I'm grateful it didn't destroy the belt and leave me stranded somewhere. It's all stripped and I've collected the parts off the other engine, so tomorrow hopefully get it back together and running.

Mike

• Like 1

All back together and running, we'll gloss over the fact I had to use a second hand belt (not the one that was trying to escape through the front cover) fortunately it hasn't done many miles and its running on the pulleys from engine it came from.

Mike

• Like 3