Tyres Sizes on a Series Land Rover

What is the reason for it not being advisable able to fit 7.50 16 tyres to a Land Rover that originally had 6.00 16? Is it simply a case of messing up the gearing and not necessarily having enough power to cope, or is it also to do with tyre clearance?

If I wanted to fit 7.50 16s on my 88" 2.25 Diesel, what problems might I encounter?

Thanks

:)

The 88 has the same engine/gearbox/ transfercase and differentials as the 109 which had 7.50x16 tyres as standard to cope with the higher 3/4-1 ton payload . 7.50x16 tyres among other sizes were an optional extra on 88''series Landys anyway so go ahead. The only reason 6.00 x16 tyres were fitted standard to 88's was cost and to make the vehicle look like a fat spindly legged old lady with her skirt hitched up.

Bill.

6.00x16 on SWB really look silly. i imagine what that LWB would look like, with them!

if you fit 7.50 on standard rims (without spacers), you'll find that the wheels will rub somewhere (shocks, i believe). you'll need to adjust the stop when turning the wheels.

i use 8-spokes with 7.50 and i would never go back to 6.00. uphills will be slower, but i can live with that

Occasionally I see Land Rovers with standard-looking steel wheels, but there's quite a bit of positive offset, so they look really good. I'm not sure if I'm just looking at standard LWB rims, or if there are wider standard-looking rims available. I'm wondering if I've seen 1 Ton rims.

Paddock Spares list the LWB rims as 5.5" x 16" and the 1 Ton as 6.5" x 16". Will 7.50 16 tyres go on 1 Ton rims? I can't see that the rims would be too wide.

http://www.paddockspares.com/sp/category/W...eel_Wheels.html

:)

That's a One Ton allright, but those are the rarer 'extra offset' rims. There are at least two types of 6½" rim which were standard or optional on the One Tons and Forward Controls...

I've got a photo somewhere... Ah, here they are...

Note that the position of the hub, and therefore it's fixing rivets is the only difference between the FC rim (grey) and the Extra Offset rim (silver).

1tonwheels01.jpg

1tonwheels02.jpg1tonwheels03.jpg

Cheers, Nick

Thanks for posting those photos Nick. Very informative!

I wonder what the rims are that Paddock Spares sell as 1 Ton rims. I presume they won't be the rare wheels that you mention. Maybe they are Forward Control rims.

Mike

• 10 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I suppose the original poster has got his tyres sorted but maybe he's in for a new set by now ;-)

255/85R16 fits real nice on an SIIA. I recently downsized from 900x16 to this size because of availability, price and weight.

IMG_0142.JPG

IMG_0143.JPG

This topic is about tyres. Not wheels, isn't it ? ;)

These wheels are two piece, forged aluminium, 6.50 x 16. Originally made for one of the heaviest Land Rovers, the Shorland Mk 3 and Mk 5 Armoured Patrol Vehicles.

Being two piece rims it was possible to mount a run-flat system on these. Rim lips are extra wide to better support the side walls

at zero pressure. Weight including all nuts and bolts is just 13,5 Kg. The run-flat system was optional on the APV's , guess they are pretty rare.

Yes, I did think about the beadlocks but I probably will not air down the tyres enough to loose grip on the beads. I might paint some witness marks as they do on aircraft tyres/wheels to keep track of this.

Not worrying about deflations either. Inner tubes are a must with these split rims.