Jump leads - recommendations please!

Jon White

I'm in the market for a set of jump leads, as with an auto rangie I think carrying a set is probably not a bad idea as a bump start is not possible!

So recommendations please!

Needs to be capable for starting a 300tdi rangie, but the hope will be that they'll never come out of the packet!

I could make a really bomb proof set up out of 35mm welding cable and earth clamps, but it'd probably cost me about £40. Really looking for a cheaper solution!

I see VWP do a set for £30 - anyone ever tried these ones??

Dont want anything hard wired in etc.

Cheers

Jon

I'm in the market for a set of jump leads, as with an auto rangie I think carrying a set is probably not a bad idea as a bump start is not possible!

Needs to be capable for starting a 300tdi rangie, but the hope will be that they'll never come out of the packet!

I could make a really bomb proof set up out of 35mm welding cable and earth clamps, but it'd probably cost me about £40. Really looking for a cheaper solution!

Cheers

Jon

Halfords do a set of 35mm cable jump leads for about £35 when I got mine a few months back.

It says on the box it will start a 7 ltr deisel.

Martin

It's worth paying a few quid extra for a decent set of jump leads. The tpe you buy in petrol stations are real danger, they are so thin that they get hot really quickly and i saw a set that had been used previously and the plastic had melted. I made my own set up out of welders clamps and really thick cable. Probably cost me about £30, but they will jump start anything.

Les.

Cheers

Jon

Simon R from X-Eng does a set I believe?

A few people have commented how good my Snap-on ones are, they are quite long, 35mm2 cable with really good quality clamps on the ends, about £30 IIRC

Ive started a fair few land rover engines with them, including 4.2 supercharged Range Rover Sport

Lewis :)

I made my own set from decent gauge welding cable and a few sets of battery clamps and it'd didn't cost anything like 40 quid!

The welding cable is nice and flexible, plus it's multistrand copper which is capable of handling lots of power from one car to the next.

Try to get 6 meters and make your own...you won't be dissapointed.

Regards.

S

Halfords do a set of 35mm cable jump leads for about £35 when I got mine a few months back.

It says on the box it will start a 7 ltr deisel.

Martin

Another vote for these - nice and flexible, and spun the v8 with ease for several 10 second runs before it picked up (it's been inactive for a while...) and they didn't even get warm.

Roger

35mm2 or better still 50mm2 anything smaller than 35 is a waste of time IMHO, I burnt out one end of a set of Halfords cheapie ones just test running a Husky winch on a bench with no load on - got hot enough to melt the insulation on one end!

also make sure you get the type with the fully insulated crocodile clips as otherwise if you get the sort with exposed metal on the outside of the clips, it can lead to some sparks inside a Defender seatbox!