Any body been knicked for this????

Guest MJG

Guest MJG

I'm convinced my Series III (1975) would look better with classic black and silver plates rather han the cr@ppy reflective type. I have considered getting the black rivet on type nmbers from Framptons but a chance conversation with and MGB enthusiast at the weekend got me thinking.

Sat in a very nice Yorkshire dales pub at the weekend I noticed an absolutely mint MGB parked in the car park. It can't have looked beter when it came out of the factory when it was new.

I then noticed it was an N like my Series and that it was wearing very nice 'totally inkeeping with the car' silver and black number plates. These of course should only appear on vehicles registered up to 1973

As the owner returned to the car I decided to bite the bullet and ask about them. Oh yes he said they are illeagal looking a tad sheepish, but the reflective type look so bad they ruin the look of the car, never been stopped in 3 years, I expect the police have got better things to do.

I realise if I do this I will have to purchase the plates as for 'show use only' - any body done this and been knicked for it - whats the penalty??? three years in the tower before being beheaded or am I likley to get a ticking off or at worst a fine???

Views forumeers please.....

Thanking in advance for any responses so that the post doesn't bump up to the top if i do later.

I wouldnt hesitate and put the black plates on I dont think the police will take any notice of you V.O.S.A may take some intrest but i doubt it and the penilty well its not endorcable on youre licence just a fixed penlty like using a phone used to be or not wearing youre seat belt so I would risk it

About six monthes ago I got pulled over for no number plate on tow behind compressor and all I got was the fine

Rob

never been stopped in 3 years, I expect the police have got better things to do.

HA HA HA HA ( wish i knew how to do laughing smilies) HA HA HA

ye right what like eat doughnuts? :D:D:D:D

I expect the police have got better things to do.

And that was where the argument fell down!

You see, as you're now a "criminal", they can pull you over.

Charge you with a crime, fine you and off you go.......

The statistics will show that our copper has a 100% success rate at catching and subsequently dealing with said "criminals".

Makes their figures look good, and saves any "real" work.

(no offence to any coppers in 'ere. I'm only joking, 'onestly gov'na)..... :ph34r:

Personally I'd just do it anyway! :D

Do it - the vehicle's so old they probably won't notice, I think it's only chavs and bikers with totally strange / tiny / very illegal plates they ever stop. If they do, feign ignorance and tell them it was like that when you bought it.

My dad's RR has been through MOT's with stick-on plates, no-one really cares and if they do you need to look elsewhere for MOT's.

brother got stopped for black and white number plates on his RR on Sultan Road in Gosport by coppers. This was in his 1971 Range Rover..... Of course even after being pulled they didn't know it was legal as it was so old.

It's all about luck, and I never seem to have any on these things....

£60..........

that's what the ex-brother in law got fined for having non standard plates on his not-very-inconspicuous-big-bore-jap-carp motor........and I have no doubt he gave the copper some verbal and was driving like a dick in the first place to attract attention.

If you a "normal" pleasant person and your unlucky enough to get your collar felt for the black plates they may just say "get them changed"......if they notice at all........

Jas

I had a Russian DNEPR 650 which is a copy of a 1950s BMW, was all black and looked positively ancient. BUT I was stopped for having an old style black and silver number plate. In my defence, I bought the bike with it on, and it suited the bike perfectly, and looked in keeping with its 'percieved' age.

I was stopped by a sharp eyed policeman in Portsmouth and told in no uncertain terms, that if he spotted me with that plate on again, I would be given 3 points and fined. So I had to buy a modern yellow and black plate which didn't suit the bike at all.

Regards,

Diff

I had a Russian DNEPR 650

wayhey, always fancied having a full military one, however the few miles that I did have my Planeta Sport confirmed that these Russian things are certainly, ummm, "unique" you could say

Dneprmt11_300.jpg

Our lightweight ran for years on black and silver plates, and I never had any issues with the boys in blue. I had them attached over the top of the reflective ones such that they could just be removed with the wing nuts...

Used to take them off for the MoT just in case, but otherwise they were on there the whole time - it was a V plate truck...

front_nato.jpg

Cheers

Mark

wayhey, always fancied having a full military one, however the few miles that I did have my Planeta Sport confirmed that these Russian things are certainly, ummm, "unique" you could say

Dneprmt11_300.jpg

Yup, that's very similar, though mine had telescopic front forks and leg shields. Mine came with solo gearing rather than the lower gearing fitted to most sidecar models. I had a small watsonian side car fitted to mine for some of the time. A REAL hoot! :D

I can thoroughly recommend riding with a side car to anyone who either has a deathwish, or likes to view life from 'an alternative' perspective! :D

It was a fun bike with fantastic character. Very back to basics motorcycling. It was great fun to ride, with no major vices (when ridden without the side car). Reverse gear meant you could park the bike with the front wheel to the curb on a high camber road, and still make a hernia free get away!

With the solo gearing it could cruise all day at 80mph.

Regards,

Diff

Guest diesel_jim

I've got them on my 90, although they're not actually UK ones, they use the French lettering style (slightly smaller), got them from a forum member (Where are you Ross... not heard from you lately? :ph34r::ph34r: )

I've had 2 or 3 MoT's and no problem at all, although it might help that mine is a Q plate, so maybe that draws their attention away, eventhough it was first registered in 2000! :lol:

Banged up for selling dodgy number plates :rolleyes:

Normally I'd say don't do it as it's a pet hate of mine, but with a '73 series motor you would have to be unlucky to get stopped and questioned these days. Put one on a 2 year old RR Sport? then you need to be stopped, given a ticket along with a slap <_<

Guest MJG
I think the Police don't bother too much about illegal plates is that they are more memorable and distinctive and the user is more likely to be traced if he's been naughty.

Decided to go for it. Going to employ a trick I once saw in my caravan days for quickly switching numbers on caravans - fit the plates very slightly proud and when MOT time comes slip a reflective plate over held on with a laggy band or two.

On the road just going to risk it.

As police resources become more stretched, it is becoming more common place to use the ANPR systems (Automatic Number Plate Recognition). Its quite common to have a unit positioned 'downwind' of such a camera (static or mobile) and then they only need to stop vehicles who 'ping' the system for having an 'issue' with the vehicle (insurance, MOT, in trade, stolen etc). If the number plate cannot be read by the system it often pings the vehicle which in turn might affect how often you are stopped.

This link is an overall guide and lists the possible penalties:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/displayofnumberplates.pdf

This link explains a bit more about the display or registration marks:

http://www.dvla.gov.uk/media/pdf/leaflets/v796.pdf

Hope this helps… ;)

If the number plate cannot be read by the system

Cheers for that info.

How ever does that mean classic black and silver plates defo. cannot be read by these systems????

I understood they could be it is just the newer plates are read with greater accuracy, hence in 'Barmy Blair's (soon to be Brown's) Big brother Britain' we are going down the standardisation fonts/format route on number plates.

Number plate fonts & layout have been standardised for years.

Of course they have but only recently have 'they' been getting really anal about it....