Wheels sticking outside the arches and the MOT

1 minute ago, Gazzar said:

Really? With wheel arches?

I do like a nice ninety. Original engine?

Hahaha, 4 of them, wheels nicely recessed within too.

Yes original engine, VGT turbo, well loved. Galv'd chassis, radars all round. Lucari heated seats, optimil hinges all round, puma bonnet, raptor props, and much to any landy owners surprise, everything is currently working as it should at present.

5 hours ago, Snagger said:

Most of the owners on here try to keep their vehicles in good order, certainly compared to more common older cars like hatchbacks and cheap saloons.  That is largely the point of this forum.  Meanwhile, there are many new cars poorly maintained and running on inappropriate tyres because their owners have spent more than they can afford on what is seen as a prestigious car rather than an affordable one.

This is very true, only today took my 04 plate Combo van for MOT. As I was buttering up the tester as I usually do, telling him how much younger and more handsome he looks every time I see him ...... an ongoing joke, as I have known them for years.

Anyways, his mate called us over to look to look at this 12 plate BMW on the next lift. Both the inside front tyres were well below legal limit, and the inside edges were showing the nylon and steel plies, some of which were fraying. Tyre brand was Fullrun. I just dont get the mentality as running a high performance car on budget tyres, let along presenting it for test with them in the state they were.

As an aside, my 90 has been off the road now for nearly ten years, but it has 33 12.50 15s on it with spacers (I did not put these on, honest) and the tread protrudes about 30mm from the wheelarch. I had it tested a few times like this, and nothing has been said, or by traffic Police when we were causing an obstruction while trying to load a trailer. But you can be sure it would be a different story if something had happened.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Just remember:

Screenshot2023-03-06at20_24_43.jpg.16fb4cacd126d847a1783dc939439691.jpg.     !== Screenshot2023-03-06at20_25_26.jpg.575869ddd41ae84d9936462ed268cb71.jpg

Similar hue, but quite different environments.

I've not been on Facebook for years David. I will reserve judgement until I get to know everyone better. 

From my perspective, I asked some questions around legalities and was met with rather strong/assertive opinions around wheel protrusion. That type of reply is pretty much how I remember Facebook.

26 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That's funny because from my perspective you asked some questions about wheel protrusion, got some sensible & technically correct answers plus a couple of examples as to why it might matter - and then kicked off a tin-foil hat rant about coppers somehow being on the make, the nanny state, and a load of other BS that is best left to that one uncle on facebook who is a bit too fond of Nigel Farage.

This is a technical forum - one of its best attributes is that it's not full of banter and other BS like so many other forums so if you are looking for that kind of engagement please do take it elsewhere.

If you think this place is full of boring folks with boring trucks you clearly have not looked around - there's some very outlandish builds on here, but everyone also has the good sense to know when they're being cheeky in the eyes of the law and to mitigate it as best they can because they're not dickheads.

"Kicked Off" - how did I kick off?
"Tin Foil Hat Rant" - Spoke about some factual happenings that should concern everyone. 
"Fond of Nigel Farage" - Never once mentioned him.

Technically correct answers - "Car gets covered in mud"

"looks awful", "dangerous" & "antisocial" - opinions. 

The point being if you give opinions, you can't cry when you get opinions back. 

Never called anyone boring or referred to their truck as boring. Didn't come here for the banter, and from where I'm sitting you're the one kicking off.