wibbly wobbly speedo

Ok thanks for the link, anyone got any ideas on the drive gear this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=2025 has all the options but i dont know how to decide which one is best? and also ive got a TIM water temp gauge and when i turn the dash lights on it makes it move up sometimes not by much but sometimes it makes it move alot any ideas what this could be?

one more question, on yours when you start up [engine cranking] does the brake fail light come on as a check then go out, reason is mine doesn't, I've continuity checkedall the wires to the dash & relay & all is OK, but don't get the light on during start as above. tried another relay too, but no different
anyone got a answer for me ref above ^^^^^

just temp fitted the spare warning light panel that Mo kindly offered me, Now the brake fail warning light works as it's meant to & does a bulb check during start to, so a success, :D just the coolant level bit to sort now, but that's got to wait till next month.

been playing with the low fuel light & associated wiring again, I slaved a new tank unit on & had the original low fuel wire/warning light panel wire & wire from the speedo connected together & can get the light on bright when the slave tank unit is in the empty position, but when the original wire is disconnected, so only the low fuel light wire from speedo is connected to the warning light panel, it only shows dimly & when the engine is started, it goes out & stays out. I reckon that part of the speedo internal connections is duff, might have to obtain another speedo & try with that. now I've just got the original low fuel wire & warning light wire connected, so will leave it like that for a while.

• 3 months later...

Just found these Td5 warning light panel plugs here on eBay would be very useful if your Td5 instrument pack came without these plugs.

as the above is no longer listed, I've been sent a link to more search ebay for item 270452046497

happy shopping,

lets have some more photo's of yoursuccesful installations.

• 2 weeks later...

Have to add a bit to this great post,should you put your transducer in and the speedo only shows a top speed of 4 mph, remove transducer and refit it in the square hole, :rolleyes: as i missed the hole and it ended up long side the gear box speedo drive.

OOPS, glad you got it sorted.:D

Right, this is aimed sort of at Ralph and others who are knowledgable with the specifics of this conversion. I have drawn up a wiring diagram for the upgrade, which shows the modification to the dashboard loom required to make it effectively ROW-spec and enable the 300Tdi temp sender to be used

Wiring Diagram

Could you have a browse of it and tell me if you see any glaring errors based upon your experience? I haven't put the wiring colour labels on yet, that's still being done. Just wanted to make sure I had all the wires in the right place before I started fiddling with aesthetics.

For note, this is a plan for a base conversion. Doesn't involve using the alarm LED or low fuel light connections or anything like that. Simply passes the fuel and temp signals through the speedo as per the ROW-spec loom.

Many thanks.

Edit: Updated diagram to include speedo moulded plug and added wiring colours to the best of my knowledge.

yours looks to match my 300tdi ROW instument wiring, so can't see why it won't work, my info below copied from my reply 178 on page 8 of this thread, really tidy diagram you did too :D

Been looking at this ROW 300Tdi wiring I just got today, on the 2nd speedo plug [connector C1061] the wire postions are different to the currently fitted Td5 wiring.

looking from the face of the connector that goes into the speedo with the clip on the left nearest me , the wires are all on one side, in this order [see photo's below]

pin 1 white/orange

pin 2 not used

pin 3 green/black

pin 4 not used

pin 5 green/blue

pin 6 not used

pin 7 light green/black

pin 8 not used

pin 9 light green/blue

pin 10 not used

Brill, thanks Ralph.

I am looking to write up a full guide you see. This thread is great, but the information is spread across several years' worth of chatter and issues. Hopefully by the end I will have a single point of reference for people.

happy to help. :D

Hi there,

Sorry to be such a late comer to this thread but I have just won a Complete Td5 Binnacle and I have the 2 plugs off the LED cluster.

I have a 1994 UK 300Tdi and wish to get everything working, including a VDO rev counter, the illuminated heate controls, the speedo, the trip counter, the LED panel etc.

I think I will need to go to a scrappy and get the transducer, wiring plugs for the speedo, lights for the heater controls etc.

I have a td5 type rear tank installed and have used a disco 300Tdi Tank unit, so I want to check that I am right so far.

Change my exisiting warning cluster wired for the Td5 plugs (Is there instructions?)

Add in wires for the speedo etc

Use the Td5 fuel guage. (should work?)

Use the original 300Tdi temp guage (can I use the td5 one?)

Wire a sidelight feed to the heater controls for illumination

Install the Vdo tach out to the W terminal

How many wires do I need to run down to the gearbox and is there a sender present in anything other than a td5 defender?

What plugs do I need for the speedo?

What is the wiring

Is my theory correct?

Thanks so much to anyone that can help! My rebuild is starting to get out of hand :huh:

Alan

Okay, you need to obtain yourself a Td5 dash loom as seen attached to the gauges in this picture:

DSC00541.JPG

Once you have this, everything will be easier.

Now to answer your questions:

Change my exisiting warning cluster wired for the Td5 plugs (Is there instructions?) - This is just a case of matching up the correct wires and connecting them to the existing feeds

Add in wires for the speedo etc - You only need to add the 3-core wire from the transducer on the gearbox to the back of the dash, and make a modification to the dash loom you buy

Use the Td5 fuel guage. (should work?) - Yes, should work connected straight to your existing sender

Use the original 300Tdi temp guage (can I use the td5 one?) - The Td5 gauge is able to be used, pending a modification to the dash loom and using the later (green) 300Tdi temp sender (AMR1425)

Wire a sidelight feed to the heater controls for illumination - The Td5 dash loom has this built-in (the bulbs labeled 1 and 5 on the picture above push into the binnacle)

Install the Vdo tach out to the W terminal - A seperate issue, but yes that is how it would work. Will require fine-tuning with a timing light or similar.

How many wires do I need to run down to the gearbox and is there a sender present in anything other than a td5 defender? - Just a 3-core wire to the transducer (which you will need to buy). One is the signal, and then there's a 12V supply (ignition switched) and a ground.

The modification you need to do to the dash loom is fairly simple, the feed from the temp sender to the temp gauge needs to be re-routed via one of the speedo plugs. On the lower speedo plug (the one with less wires on it) it goes in from the sender on pin 5, and out to the gauge on pin 9. You will need extra pins for this, can be obtained from VWP, can get you the part number if you'd like.

Hope that helps

This helps VERY much indeed!!!

Knowing which wire of the new multi plug on the LED warning panel to connect to which wire on the old warning panel is the bit that still baffles me!

The part number for the dash loom, pins for speedo plugs and the transducer would however be V HANDY if u can find them.

Similarly, how do I go about calibrating the rev counter avec timing light?

Ta Much

Alan

This helps VERY much indeed!!!

Knowing which wire of the new multi plug on the LED warning panel to connect to which wire on the old warning panel is the bit that still baffles me!

The part number for the dash loom, pins for speedo plugs and the transducer would however be V HANDY if u can find them.

Similarly, how do I go about calibrating the rev counter avec timing light?

Ta Much

Alan

This is the pinout of the two multi-plugs on the LED warning light panel. Western made these up, not myself.

post-10578-125663654569_thumb.jpg post-10578-125663655513_thumb.jpg

Dash loom is YMG109280, but I don't know if they're still available. If they are they certainly won't be cheap. If you do decide to buy a new one, you may as well try and source a ROW-spec loom instead (this has the modification built-in to allow use of the 300Tdi temp sender). That is part number YMG109260.

Extra pins for the speedo plugs can be sourced from VWP and are part no. 3-7210. Just to note, I am 99.999% sure on this, haven't actually done it yet but as far as I can tell they are the right ones.

Transducer is YBE100530, there is also an M6 washer WA106041L and an o-ring seal 571665 used in installation of it.

With the rev counter, the usual procedure is to get the engine to a known RPM (using a timing light on the crank pulley or similar) and then adjusting the rev counter until it reads the correct reading. I've never done it myself though I'm afraid, and it's a discussion for another topic really :P

I take it I cut off the big grey plug (Part 6) and connect the wires up to whatever is neccessary?

Alan

That's what I plan to do, although if you can source the counterpart grey plug from another Td5 vehicle or a Freelander or something then you could use that. Personally I am just going to replace the grey connector with another multi-plug connector pair.

Ok and thnaks.

This is all making loads of sense so far so thats good!!

Now I suppose I need a similar plug wiring diagram for the old white instrument cluster plugs to help me understand what wire to swop to the other new plug (that make sense?)

Finally, what wires are in the big grey loom plug and what do I connect those to?

Alan

Most of the wires are the same colours, which is quite handy. I don't know exactly how it is wired up behind the dash, but rather than each gauge piggybacking it's 12V feed and earth off the same wires, those wires are just moved to the new multi-plug where necessary. Just make sure the supplies that are required to be fused are so. The dash loom requires one 10A fused ignition-switched live, and two permanent 5A lives.

As for what's in the big plug, if you look at this PDF file, it shows the layout of the loom:

http://www.retroanac...g%20Diagram.pdf

The large multiplug is on the left, and the connections below it are what need to connect to it. For example pin 8 of the multi-plug needs to be connected to your wire from the temp sender, and pin 5 to the one from your fuel sender. In fact the only others are the gauge lighting feed (pin 4), the speedo transducer feed (pin 10), and some switched and non-switched 12V supplies. Plus a few earths. Remember, if you choose to replace the multi-plug with another one, keep the wiring the same (ie. pin 1 in the new plug is the same wire as pin 1 in the old plug), that way you can still use the diagrams.

Here is the pinout for the grey plug (as provided by Western, modified slightly by myself), should match my diagram above hopefully:

post-10578-125664004822_thumb.jpg

the existing warning light panel plugs can be cut off & then either connected to the Td5 warning light panel plugs by a in-line crimp or twisting the 2 ends together & soldering them too & covering with heatshrink or self amalgamating tape [i twisted/soldered/insulating taped mine on my '89 110]

majority of the wire colours are the same just match them up & join with whichever method you prefer.

Ok. Thanks everyone for all that.

As for what wire colours are not the same, do I just refer to the diagrams or how best to know?

I am still a bit baffled (I am a stupid head sometimes)

Basically, I think that I swop warning panel plug wires like for like

I add a VDO rev counter and use a timing light to work out the revs

I get a td5 clocks loom and transducer out of a scrapper

I modify Td5 dash loom by a couple of pins to suit my Tdi

I buy a different water temp sender

Is this all correct?

I am silly enough to need it spelled out in a step by step manner.

Thanks for all the patience

Alan

That's pretty much it yep.

I was going to keep this un-published until I have completed my conversion, but I've made it public so you can read through it:

http://www.retroanac...a-200tdi300tdi/

As far as I know, based on the knowledge I have gathered through looking at the parts and the history of this topic, that information is correct. There are still pics to be added etc once I go through the processes detailed.

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks everyone for all that.

As for what wire colours are not the same, do I just refer to the diagrams or how best to know? from wiring diagram or just ask, quite a few have done it using this thread

I am still a bit baffled (I am a stupid head sometimes) don't worry, we all get like that sometimes

Basically, I think that I swop warning panel plug wires like for like Yes

I add a VDO rev counter and use a timing light to work out the revs search this forum for rev counter, lots of good info on how to fit one

I get a td5 clocks loom and transducer out of a scrapper got mine from ebay

I modify Td5 dash loom by a couple of pins to suit my Tdi Yes, using the info above or buy the 300TDi ROW loom like I did, but it is not cheap, see my reply about it on a earlier page in this thread

I buy a different water temp sender if your existing temp sender has a green plastic insert around the spade terminal, you have the correct item, if not you need Temp Sender AMR1425

Is this all correct? refer to my notes in RED :D

I am silly enough to need it spelled out in a step by step manner.

Thanks for all the patience Not a problem, happy to help

Alan

please add your location [nearest town/city will do, to your profile, never know who lives around the corner,down the road.