wibbly wobbly speedo

The only thing that may be different is the temperature gauge sender fitment.

Since the Td5 gauges is designed for diesel engines, if I were you I would use an after-market temp gauge (the VDO ones match the Td5 gauges well) and sender so that you can see what temperature your V8 is :)

As it happens I'm about to do the conversion for a second time, on my 110. I've been spoilt by visible dials!

I bought the entire dash and dials (with complete loom on the back of the speedo and dials at billing this weekend for £50

Then managed to buy a complete bulkhead loom for £20 so I have the connectors for the warning lights!

Well chuffed ;);)

Cant wait to get started! ;)

• 1 month later...

does anyone know the part number for the bulbs for the td5 speedo head?

The bulb you require is a 509t (the 't' stands for twist).

When I did mine I got them in a pack of two from halfords for a couple of quid.

The thing with the halfords ones is that the plastic base of the bulb is a hex shape and if your careful you can fit it with a 6mm 1/4" drive socket -(think it was 6, might of been a 5). The geniune land rover ones are a sqaure base and you'll end up fiddling with tweezers!

see here: http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/2009/10/td5-gauges-bulb-information/

• 1 month later...

All,

I am currently doing the Td5 Conversion to my 1989 Land Rover but am after some help.

I want to make use of the dampening effect on the low fuel sender using the speedo gauge.

Where do i need to connect my White/Slate (my low fuel sender wire) to? if i connect it to the multi plug and marry it up to the White/Orange (Pin 1 lower speedo plug), where do i then connect from to go to my warning light panel?

Many thanks in advanced

There is no need to use the white/slate wire from your sender unit. The speedo head receives the signal, damps it, and then passes it on to the gauge. It then (when fuel is low) generates a signal on pin 1 of the lower speedo plug, you need to run this signal to the relevant pin on the warning light panel (pin 3 on the larger (20-way) one I believe), which will put the light on. That's how I did mine.

All,

Just read through the whole 20 pages again, sorry for asking the question above about the Fuel Sender, must of missed it first time i skimmed through the pages!!

However, i have a few problems/queries to ask;

1. Speedo reads at twice the speed it should, Sat Nav says 30mph, speedo says 60!!

Corresponding the trip meter reads 5.5mi for a 2.4mi round trip! I have an all black transducer fitted, ordered PN YBE100530

Anyone know if there is anything that can be done? I plan to go to Digidash to get the gauge reset, and will ask them about it as well before i go, as it'll be £80 or so to go to them get them to change the mileage.

2. Also the glow plug light stays on all the time. I have a disco 200tdi engine fitted, but no relay to the glow plugs. There are two YB wires that lit my old warning lights (See pic Left hand 2 Wires), so i added them both to the new panel, do i need to remove one and tape it up?

3. Hand Brake Light doesn't work, even for a check when ign at posn 2. I've joined the WY and the BW original wires

And a photo of my install engine running, hazards, side lights, main beam and rear fog on.

Thanks in advanced

post-24570-089809800 1285782664_thumb.jpg

post-24570-054006600 1285782891_thumb.jpg

What brand was the transducer? It should be green, I'm sure there were problems with cheaper copies before.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/13485/YBE100530-TRANSDUCER-SPEEDO-DRIVE.html

As for your warning light questions, some playing with a multimeter may be in order with regard to the glow plugs. On an '89 vehicle was there ever a relay? Or did they have the 'hold at position X for Y seconds' type of ignition switch?

Brake warning light is just for brake fluid level, but it should self-test on cranking. Try removing the brake fluid reservoir cap and seeing if the light comes on.

TD didn't have a glowplug relay [my 110 was a TD]

glowplug black/yellow trace goes to pin 12 on plug 0233 at the speedo end of warning light panel, I can go check my connections if you want me too

brake fluid/failure warning needs to be connected across pins 9 & 14 on plug 0233, pin 13 wire is taped up not used.

had a look at mine, which has the timer relay for glowplugs, the warning light black/yellow trace wire comes from the same colour code wire off the relay loom direct to pin 12 of plug 0233 to warning light panel, can't remember what I did with the 2nd original wire, but they went to each side of original bulb IIRC.

What brand was the transducer? It should be green, I'm sure there were problems with cheaper copies before.

http://www.lrseries.com/shop/product/listing/13485/YBE100530-TRANSDUCER-SPEEDO-DRIVE.html

As for your warning light questions, some playing with a multimeter may be in order with regard to the glow plugs. On an '89 vehicle was there ever a relay? Or did they have the 'hold at position X for Y seconds' type of ignition switch?

Brake warning light is just for brake fluid level, but it should self-test on cranking. Try removing the brake fluid reservoir cap and seeing if the light comes on.

Retro,

I brought the Transducer from Britcar (YBE100530 SPEEDO TRANSDUCER 4/5 CYL DEF XA>(G), so will purchase another one, see if that works.

Original engine was a TD and so, as western says, its a hold for a couple of secs then turn for the glow plugs.

Tried removing the brake fluid cap, no light appeared :(

TD didn't have a glowplug relay [my 110 was a TD]

glowplug black/yellow trace goes to pin 12 on plug 0233 at the speedo end of warning light panel, I can go check my connections if you want me too

brake fluid/failure warning needs to be connected across pins 9 & 14 on plug 0233, pin 13 wire is taped up not used.

Western,

Could you check your connections for me? As shown in the photo, on the old panel the glow plugs light was connected by the 2 lefthand wires (which are both Yellow Black)so not sure if both or 1 should be connected to the 20way plug.

my plug loom came with pin 9 attached to pin 13 and so i attached the WY and BW wires to pin 14 as per the guide, do i need to connect pin 13 to 14, with the other wires and tape up 13?

Cheers in advanced

I brought the Transducer from Britcar (YBE100530 SPEEDO TRANSDUCER 4/5 CYL DEF XA>(G), so will purchase another one, see if that works.

I have a couple of spare Td5 speedo heads (plus looms etc.) here if you want to eliminate that as the cause, and are ever over this way, before you spend out on another transducer?

I have a couple of spare Td5 speedo heads (plus looms etc.) here if you want to eliminate that as the cause, and are ever over this way, before you spend out on another transducer?

Retro,

Whereabouts are you in West Sussex? As i'm in Chatham, Kent, but will be heading home to Berks this Friday, if you are around on a Fri afternoon/evening?

Have a Transducer from LRSeries on order at the mo as well.

All,

Just read through the whole 20 pages again, sorry for asking the question above about the Fuel Sender, must of missed it first time i skimmed through the pages!!

However, i have a few problems/queries to ask;

1. Speedo reads at twice the speed it should, Sat Nav says 30mph, speedo says 60!!

Corresponding the trip meter reads 5.5mi for a 2.4mi round trip! I have an all black transducer fitted, ordered PN YBE100530

Anyone know if there is anything that can be done? I plan to go to Digidash to get the gauge reset, and will ask them about it as well before i go, as it'll be £80 or so to go to them get them to change the mileage.

2. Also the glow plug light stays on all the time. I have a disco 200tdi engine fitted, but no relay to the glow plugs. There are two YB wires that lit my old warning lights (See pic Left hand 2 Wires), so i added them both to the new panel, do i need to remove one and tape it up?

3. Hand Brake Light doesn't work, even for a check when ign at posn 2. I've joined the WY and the BW original wires

And a photo of my install engine running, hazards, side lights, main beam and rear fog on.

Thanks in advanced

I had the same problem with my first transducer - it was the correct part number but came in a britpart blue box. I cured the problem by sending it back and getting a genuine parts one.

Retro,

Whereabouts are you in West Sussex? As i'm in Chatham, Kent, but will be heading home to Berks this Friday, if you are around on a Fri afternoon/evening?

Have a Transducer from LRSeries on order at the mo as well.

I'm near Crawley, I'll be free after work on Friday evening. Give us a PM if you want to try it out :)

Damn! :lol: I thought I had read the whole thread too!

Going to be looking for a binnacle at newbury this weekend.....Need a reliable speedo!

Dave.

Don't pay over the odds, I picked up an entire Td5 binnacle with gauges, loom etc, from Billing for £30!

I think they're probably worth more than that, but the guy didn't know it ^_^

Don't pay over the odds, I picked up an entire Td5 binnacle with gauges, loom etc, from Billing for £30!

I think they're probably worth more than that, but the guy didn't know it ^_^

Been watching a couple on ebay lately but they get too about 30 quid and then the listing is ended......people obvously making offers for them.

Will make sure i dont pay too much!

Dave.