wibbly wobbly speedo

That's pretty much it yep.

I was going to keep this un-published until I have completed my conversion, but I've made it public so you can read through it:

http://www.retroanac...a-200tdi300tdi/

As far as I know, based on the knowledge I have gathered through looking at the parts and the history of this topic, that information is correct. There are still pics to be added etc once I go through the processes detailed.

just read your link pages, excelent job :i-m_so_happy:

Thanks again. I am in Londonderry Northern Ireland (not many defender buffs here :( !!)

I will post some pictures of my scary looking dash later if I can work out how

for linking/posting photo's read the 'new members' pinned thread at the top of this forum thread list.

Most of the wires are the same colours, which is quite handy. I don't know exactly how it is wired up behind the dash, but rather than each gauge piggybacking it's 12V feed and earth off the same wires, those wires are just moved to the new multi-plug where necessary. Just make sure the supplies that are required to be fused are so. The dash loom requires one 10A fused ignition-switched live, and two permanent 5A lives.

As for what's in the big plug, if you look at this PDF file, it shows the layout of the loom:

http://www.retroanac...g%20Diagram.pdf

The large multiplug is on the left, and the connections below it are what need to connect to it. For example pin 8 of the multi-plug needs to be connected to your wire from the temp sender, and pin 5 to the one from your fuel sender. In fact the only others are the gauge lighting feed (pin 4), the speedo transducer feed (pin 10), and some switched and non-switched 12V supplies. Plus a few earths. Remember, if you choose to replace the multi-plug with another one, keep the wiring the same (ie. pin 1 in the new plug is the same wire as pin 1 in the old plug), that way you can still use the diagrams.

Here is the pinout for the grey plug (as provided by Western, modified slightly by myself), should match my diagram above hopefully:

post-10578-125664004822_thumb.jpg

I have found an online supplier of new female terminals F(8240-4422) to suit this Sumitomo 14-way HD Series connector shell, he sells them in sets of 10 x male with 10 x female

Ref: FM090, for $2.90 + P&P, here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/090_Connectors/090_connectors.html

2p090k-smhm-terminal-set.jpg

So now if you source a 2nd-hand connector shell from a scrappy, you won't need to splice wires together, you can now just make up a new loom :D

Amongst the other Sumitomo connector sets and terminals that he sells, he also supplies the Sumitomo 10-way HM Series connector used on the post 2002 Defender Hazard Warning Light Switch.

He supplies a connector set, comprising - female shell with 10 x female terminals + male shell, with 10 x male terminals

Ref: 10P090K-SMHM, for $6.49 + P&P, here -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/090_Connectors/090_connectors.html

10P090K-SMHM.jpg

I didn't mean yours, I was posting up a link to a Td5 dash I saw on eBay...but then I thought it was such a good deal I decided to buy it! Hence no longer relevant.

Your pics look good, make sure to take some more as you go along. It's always good to have reference photos of people's installs :)

Sorry if my previous post was mis-construed in any way.

I didn't mean yours, I was posting up a link to a Td5 dash I saw on eBay...but then I thought it was such a good deal I decided to buy it! Hence no longer relevant.

Your pics look good, make sure to take some more as you go along. It's always good to have reference photos of people's installs :)

Sorry if my previous post was mis-construed in any way.

No problem!!!

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everybody and thanks for all the help with doing htis Mod.

I now have successfully completed it, using Retroanaconda's guide which I must say was superb!!!

Thanks everyone for the help, especially Retroanaconda.

I have not tried the new water temp sender yet, nor have I driven the car to check the speedo, but everything else works perfect as can be seen below.

Thanks again

Pic

post-6800-125923425477_thumb.jpg

It will do now, the Td5 setup uses the speedo to generate the low fuel warning, not the fuel gauge sender. I can't say for sure how much fuel will be left in your tank when it comes on, but it should do so about when the needle reaches the red bit.

To turn it on you need to connect the icon to pin 1 of the lower speedo plug. This is pre-wired in the loom out to pin 12 on the main multiplug. Wire should be white/orange. Connect that to the low fuel icon (pin 3 on the 20-way warning panel plug) and see if it works! :)

Can I ask if anyone else currently runs the setup of a standard 12-gallon Defender 90 side tank, Td5 fuel gauge and the low-fuel warning light provided by the speedo feed?

When does the light come on in terms of tank level?

How accurate do you find the gauge is with this tank?

Cheers

i have the above but without the low fuel light - it disconnected it as it annoys me

gauage reads low on mine, ie it shows half when there is more than half left. it goes into the red and i can only get 40-45L in it

i just work around that. what have you found?