AWDC Slindon Challenge

najw

Well, hope you all enjoyed it and got home safely, the last 30 minutes of rain certainly made life interesting for the marshals pulling in the punches but you probably consider that well deserved payback :P

Look forward to visiting again next year, the site certainly has much more potential than I imagined, would certainly do 'The Mud Run' again.

I had a great time

Thanks to Adrian and his better half for putting me up on Saturday night and a superb brekkie.

Pigster for biatching, and Pete for the mars bars...

But did it go well....err...not really

Damage....

1 snapped CB ariel

1 Snapped Radio ariel

More smashed rear lights/reflectors etc

One bent front Winch Bumper

One completely flatened Wing, and the other slightly off rounded

One Dented Snorkle tube

One Smashed Windscreen

Bent the track rod arm as well for good measure on special stage two

One completley obliterated CV, that decided to lock solid, half way rearwards up a bank and took a fair bit on shuffling using both winches to get it down, and then changing it halfway in and out a mud puddle

The rear winch now could'nt pull the skin of a Rice puddin !

and the front one making some strange noises under full load (and its not the PTO clutch)

New windscreen was kindly donated By the Pigster !

Would I do it all again.....to Bluddy right :lol:

Although I doubt its going to all fixed before Slab

:(

There's a few on ORRP here, that young Kev took.

Will probably have to wait for the 'official' ones to appear on scrapiron website.

Although I did take a couple of Rob in a rather precarious situation, which I'm sure he'll post when he gets home, whenever that is :rolleyes:

What an event..... Enjoyed nearly every minute of it.

Started off with a very pleasant meal on Saturday night. Nice to put some names to faces at last. Good company and good conversation.

Damage report:

Both new wing panels now dented

One wheel rim bent due to contact with a tree stump at speed

One winch rope snapped. (anyone recommend a budget replacement)

Spare wheel carrier slightly bent

CV Joint smashed (which completely knackered my event)

Rear dislocation cone bent and I suspect the rear spring mount as well

(Predict the hoover will be knackered by the time I've finished cleaning out)

Event report:

Everything was going oh so well. The truck was performing well. Trev and I were working well as a team (although I really didn't want to get out of the cab on the mud run) We were notching up punch after punch.

With half an hour left to go we went in search of easy punches to bunk up our score. Got into a muddy bomb hole and a CV went. Called for marshall recovery but decided to try and get out ourselves. Nearly killed the car winching back and driving with some really bad noises coming from the swivel. Got back 10 minutes late. Looking at the results the CV cost us a place in the top 3. (Neil can you PM me with how many points we lost for being back late)

With all of the rain I couldn't be arsed to change the CV on site. Drove away from the site to the nearest jetwash and called the RAC. Just wanted to sleep on the way back but the recovery driver wouldn't shut up. Finally got home about 0130 this morning.

Spent the last two hours swilling truck and equipment down but I dont seem to have made an impact. Just rang work to book tomorrow of as well so that I can get the CV done.

Looking forward to slab. (Neil - I will post cheque soon) Trying to find someone locally who I can borrow a trailer off

Had great fun marshalling, cheers to Neil for getting my name wrong in front of 50 odd people.... ;)

Got some good piccies, I'll post them towards the end of the week. Including Mr Cobleys last minute attempt at punch 31...

Simon

My thanks to Neil and all the marshals,

Had a good day, even if the V8 still run's near the top off temp dial :angry:

Not a bad score, hoped for a top ten :lol: but more than happy to just finish :lol:

broke n/s Cv joint at 3.30 so that was that for the day,

Neil! what happened to one off the punche's in 1-10 area, by the top track as when we got the motor

there there was no punch to be found? :angry:

Other than that, no problems, not too sure i like all this all day offroading, missed me afternoon nap :angry:

Roll on Slab :) Come on Les :lol: Best start working on your motor :lol::lol: i'll send pigster over

as he caused most damage :lol::lol:

Once again thanks to all for a great day :rolleyes:

You need to report stuff...

Simon M reported it missing, I replaced it within 10 mins

As I was leaving the site, I climbed out of my truck and stood on the original one

How it ended up there I'll never know, same way that one of the bunting lines atop one of the punches got torn and re-tied I suppose...

Ho-hum

:angry::angry::angry::angry:

Make sure it's running right first, timing, fueling, EFI electronic magic, get it all checked out. A badly set up motor can produce a lot more heat than one that's spot on. Then it's all down to rad and air flow. Maybe you need some more holes in the bonnet :lol:

Simon and I had a good day, almost!

Four rope breakages, one resulting in a bent rear corner, only a flesh wound!

Oil light on at low revs in the afternoon, probably the pressure relief valve sticking (again).

Rear radius arm to chassis bush (polly) fell off, not a problem but knocked a bit.

Two hours to clean and removed a lump of clay the size of Ireland from the top of the front axle with a perfect impression of the sump in it!

A well run event with good marshalling, will probably do Slab.

I even won a pair of gloves for highest placed newcomer! We came joint 4th.

Pictures of punch 31

We thought we might be able to get at it from the top.

P1010109Small-copy.jpg

The one back wheel was floating in mid air.

P1010110Small-copy.jpg

I think that is reasonably impressive.

P1010111Small-copy.jpg

From this you should be able to see how we got this far.

P1010113Small-copy.jpg

We only needed to go back about another foot but sometimes things get a little too dangerous.

Neil,

I'll get the cheque sent of for Slab,

I need to stock up on gaffer tape to keep all my lights in place, Don't forget Sodbury Mark ;)

Next one I'm unscrewing the lot before I start !

Try and find out why my rear winch seems to have lost all its grunt, and try and educate Pigster to get most of the easy punches first instead of going for the hardest ones he can find !

Adrian, I'll have him again if you like......God what am I saying :lol: ...

Don't forget Sodbury Mark

I won't. Reckon I could be on to a right little earner there ;)

I can see why no one got that punch als5.gif

Another foot or so back and we'd have made the punch, but by then the front wheel would be floating on air like the rear :blink: