catalytic converter mot failure

pinny

i have a 96 300tdi discovery i removed the cat in january speaking to mot tester at my local garage he says it must have a cat fitted or it will fail test has any one else had this prob or did thay get a pass as he says it will be tested as a cat test and hes convinced it will fail your views please chris

the general view on here is put it through the test and see what happens, plenty of people in UK have decatted their 300Tdis and passed the test with no problems!

thats my thought if the engine is ok i cant see it being a prob he said if it was made after 92 it should have a cat ill plead ignorance at the end of the day ive still got the old cat so if it fails ill put it back on also after removing egr it dont chuck out black smoke like before so ill see how it goes cheers for reply chris

It's a smoke emission test only on Diesels, no CAT needed.

Peter

there so many different regs i get confused but that aint hard ill take it monday and see what happens my m plate transit always passed no cat any way ill see what happens cheers peter chris

If that MOT tester reckons he'll fail it if there's no cat, take your business elsewhere...

Even if it did still have a cat, on a vehicle that age the chances it's still doing anything useful are slim. Bear in mind that if your truck fails its MOT on something which shouldn't be an MOT failure you can complain to the relevent authority (VOSA, I think). Obviously better if you can persuage your MOT man to read the manual properly first, though!

So far as I'm aware there's no requirement, even on new cars, for a cat to be present at the MOT - it simply has to be within the required emissions levels. Obviously, as these have got more stringent over the years you're less likely to succeed in getting a newer car through sans cat than an older one. If you search the forum this topic has come up at least a couple of times before.

Out of curiosity, are the diesels being manufactured now still only required to pass a smoke test?

My 1996 300TDi passed it's last MOT (new computerised type) with the Particulate Filter (CAT) removed. No mention made of the fact that it was missing and the guy who tested it commented on how 'clean' the exhaust emissions were :lol: .

Pete.

You only have to drive behind many 10 year old Jap vehicles to see that there is a good chance they would fail an emissions test. There isn't a test here and some of them are bluddy awful!

so whats the score with buses some round here must run on coal but i drive a jcb on the road especially on a hill it smokes like a steam engine but no mot emissions for these chris

OK, Geoff at MOT A CAR on the Cowdray Centre are 4x4ers they come to Bure's.

Peter

the old chap booked it in thats where hes always gone im at work on tues so hell have a drive down there thats where ive always taken motors always seemed fair its next to go bananas chris

i guess i was worrying about nothing passed test ok tester said emissions smoke was below normal so i guess cats are not needed nor are egr valves thanks for replies

i removed my cat and it stopped it smoking almost completely, but in saying that the cat was half full of soot so i wasn't breathing right anyway!

Its done 200k and doesn't smoke much now!

Regards Nick