Cant change from Hi to Lo range

neil00001

sounds like a linkage issue but checking is a pain in the bottom unless you fancy either dropping the box out or ripping the interior apart and drilling the cover out above it

you say the lever moves ok, you can obviously move it forward and backwards to engage difflock, but can you actually move it left to right? or can you move it left to right but it doesn't engage?

Hi Tonk,

I have full range of movement, fully left to engage Dif lock, light comes on but will have to check if it actually engages, Forward and back to engage Hi and Low range, however low range does not engage, locked in High range, OK I can drive normally thankfully.........but no low range for when i wanna go and play.............. :(

Cheers,

Neil

93 Disco 200Tdi

ignore wot i said above, i've got me left to right and forward back movements fuddled up, its probably still a linkage problem though, check that all your pivot pins are in place and linkages connected.

ignore wot i said above, i've got me left to right and forward back movements fuddled up, its probably still a linkage problem though, check that all your pivot pins are in place and linkages connected.

Thanks for the help folks, will have a look at it over the next couple of days wife permitting.....erm weather permitting forgot its my week to wear the trousers............

Will let you know my findings...........

Cheers,

Neil

And well lubricated. If not used much the high/low actuator can seize and if you force the lever you can break the linkage.

As FF says get someone to wriggle the level while you look from underneath to see what's connected and which way it needs to move. It is then possible to operate the high/low from underneath using large srewdriver or wheel wrench (done this with my 110 that used to stick in low box). Bit of lub and a few cycles on the lever and you'll be fine.

sorry to interupt but i have a simalr problem,

mine will not shift between normal and diff lock but high and low is ok??

i have since dissconnected the linkege and now have to manually shift wit a small adjustable over to diff lock! i have soaked the linkedges in easol and DW40 on a cloth since but really feel the complet linkedge needs replacing :angry:

any ideas anyone? and how bigger job do you think the complete linkege replacement job is??? has any one done it, any tips?

• 1 month later...

Ok well I am now at a loss, I have opened up the middle console and all the linkages seem OK, a full range of movement.

No resistance at all going from Hi to Lo range, I am sure I remember some resistance from the 90's and 110's I have driven in the past. But I am still stuck in Hi range. Diflock works fine.

When I move the lever to low range the selector arm moves all the way back to transfer case casing, 30 degrees from vertical clockwise when looking from passenger seat.

Any ideas what the problem could be?

Cheers,

Neil

post-3953-1191574840_thumb.jpg

Find a nice quiet place / road straight bit

then have car moving at tickover, in 1st gear try to engage and at the same time make the car "Lurch" about like a learner kangarooing this can often be the little extar to get in to enage, then do the same to disengage

Passers by will just think you learning to drive :lol:

To answer the diff lock question, I have found that often the lever does not move far enough to engage the difflock before it hits the side of the tunnel. On my brothers rangie, he chopped a bit out of the side of the tunnel to allow the lever to move more. On my disco, I bent up a new linkage between the end of the lever, and the rotation actuator on the transfer box, which means the lever doesn't need to move as far to fully engage it. The linkage is and upside down 'U' shape, and I made the bottom of the U about 6mm longer on the new one.

Might be worth a try.

Cheers

Mark

The Hi-Lo question, the only thing I can think of might be that the lever has come loose:

gallery_92_352_81963.jpg

the lever that actuates the shaft in the t-box is held onto the rotation shaft with a grub screw, see above. If your linkages are all working OK, then it could be that this grub has come out or loose?

On a disco, this probably means dropping the box though...

Mark

The Hi-Lo question, the only thing I can think of might be that the lever has come loose:

gallery_92_352_81963.jpg

the lever that actuates the shaft in the t-box is held onto the rotation shaft with a grub screw, see above. If your linkages are all working OK, then it could be that this grub has come out or loose?

On a disco, this probably means dropping the box though...

Mark

Isnt that directly on top of the t-box? I have my centre comsole out so I can see that.....I think.

Is it just a case of removing the 6 bolts?

With all this talk about diff lock and hi/low I thought I'd check mine out as I've tried it before and I can't get the lever to move at all! it's just stuck in the bottom right. What's my best way to get it moving without breaking it?

Thanks alot to you all for your swift help!

A real big thanks you to Mark for putting me on the right track which solved this problem!

Grub screw on the selector linkage was loose, if you look at the pics it becomes self explanatory,

WELL CHUFFED!!!!!!

Cheers,

Neil

With all this talk about diff lock and hi/low I thought I'd check mine out as I've tried it before and I can't get the lever to move at all! it's just stuck in the bottom right. What's my best way to get it moving without breaking it?

Well for starters be a bit more ruffarse with it - the hi-lo operation isn't particularly slick and delicate at the best of times! In my experience if they haven't been used for a while they can be a pig to get into low range, but usually come of high into neutral without too much trouble. It can take a good shove to the left to engage diff lock, too.

As has been said tho, get someone to sit in the cab and wiggle/push/shove the lever while you attack it with WD40 to try and loosen it all up. If you are really luck, sit in the cab while soneone else gets covered in cr4p and wd40.... ;)

enjoy

Mark

Not an auto is it? If so, there is a special procedure for changing from high to low...

Chris

Not an auto is it? If so, there is a special procedure for changing from high to low...

Chris

yep it is an auto, I put it in N on the main box, rolled forward at 5mph and tried pushing the lever quite hard in all directions but couldn't budge it (then I thought I best look up before I crashed into the tree :lol: ) Then I gave up!