MOT Failure

Chriso

Hi,

My 300 TDi Discovery failed it's MOT this week on the smoke test. The best result was 3.2 (I think the target is less than 3.0) My garage has suggested I book it in next week for a retest and they have stated that they will "back the pump off"

Will this be effective, and what actually will they do?

Most threads on this forum deal with increasing the fuelling with an associated turbo boost to supply more air.

I guess I could clean the intercooler, buy a tank of expensive DERV, run some fuel additive through - or even get around to doing the tappets.

Any thoughts?

Chris.

:) my personal favourite method to try and reduce emmisions - about 20 - 30 miles driving as hard as i dare in 3rd or 4th gear,,,get the engine really working hard up the biggest hills you can find nearby and then get test,,,,god knows my 200 tdi smoked enough and always managed to scrape through after that tender loving driving!

When they say they will back the pump of, they mean they will restrict the amount of fuel going through the pump.

ve_pump_adjustments.jpg

By adjusting the power adjustment screw (undoing it a halfturn or so) you limit the amount of fuel being burnt, and therefore reduce your emissions.

A few years ago my disco smoked like hell when it went for its MOT, i took the power screw out a whole turn and the Disco wouldn't rev over 3000rpm sailed through the emissions.

Regards

wizard

i dont think you have said has the egr valve been removed or is this still on the vehicle mine smoked until i removed this also removed cat defender front pipe is a direct replacement as others said a dose of redex or similar may help but the egr valve maybe stuck open if its still on vehicle remove it or blank it off it will make a difference chris

i dont think you have said has the egr valve been removed or is this still on the vehicle mine smoked until i removed this also removed cat defender front pipe is a direct replacement as others said a dose of redex or similar may help but the egr valve maybe stuck open if its still on vehicle remove it or blank it off it will make a difference chris

Sorry, yes EGR plate fitted. Before this it REALLY smoked under load!

• 3 weeks later...

the other option is to take off the little boost pipe that fits on the injection pump from the turbo - so that when they floor it, the pump doesnt know its on boost and doesnt chuck in any extra fuel......

get your ticket, push the pipe back on the pump and away you go :D