What's the worst bodge

Les Henson

would have to be a bisket tin being used to fix a rusted out rigger on a series :lol:

serious i kind you not

I think I best keep out of this as I have done a few in my time. :blink::blink:

mmm know what you mean Jules i will keep out of this for the things i have done too :ph34r::ph34r:

ok admit one

At the JBS challenge at slindon and grand canyon last year. I ran up the back of my brother Jules's 90. This was on the road between sites, at the end of day one. I thought he had gone off the line and he then stopped . I then hit him hard and full revs, and he stopped me not before i had pushed him across the road :lol::lol:

Whoops bent the bumper and brook the 8274 in half

CNV00020.jpg

And bent the rear cross meber on the back of julians

CNV00021.jpg

so get the winch out the back of julians and straighten the bumper

CNV00022.jpg

And it worked

CNV00023.jpg

Mind you the winch was only held in in by three bolts as the the case on the 8274 had broken in the crash. Still did the next day of event and came 3rd in the competition so was a good bodge.

:lol::lol::lol:

For most of my trip I used a nice piece of 2"x2" as the handbrake. No problem when theres two of you, the passenger jumps out to drop out the handbrake first! <_<

A good and useful bodge I learnt was to tightly wrap strips of inner tube around a v.worn steering universal

joint - made a huge difference until I got hold of a spare.

cheers,

tom

chicken wire and filler for top bulkhead corner repairs

chickenwire.jpg

no not pictures of my handy work but what i found when i started the replacement corners job.

top tip, its easier to repalce the whole bulkhead than do them well.

Well I can knock all of this thread into a cocked hat (unfortunately if you think about it).

Anyway, I got a call to go and look at a 109 SW that the owner says felt funny when he drove it.

(different thread on this forum)

Anyway, I had a look at the motor and was pretty shocked at the condition of a vehicle that's being driven still.

The chaps wife asked me to look at some seat belts that had been fitted by another mechanic that were supposed to make the fitting of a baby seat easier than the original webbing.

So you would expect a tidy job right - No way Jose! this guy is the worst of the worst I have ever met. Youi can't make this kind of bad workmanship up. Pictures speak a thousand words, so here they are.

baby seat removed and the pictures are taken by me on a LWB Sw LanRover that is STILL being driven! And on the school run as well.

Ain't people great? :(

Here's the top quality plate that the mechanism is bolted to. The mechanism is also fixed upside down, so you have to 'jiggle it a bit' (apparently) to get the belt out.

OhDear01-copy.jpg

It really takes no effort at all to do this. I reckon the metal plate is 1.2 - 1.5mm.

OhDear02-copy.jpg

Front seat belts. At least the mechanism is in the right position. Best remove the actual safe bit so that you can lean forward to get at youir fags! Doing this also greatly improves your chances of flying through the windscreen when you have a crash. (both front belts are like this)

OhDear03-copy.jpg

Also, as an added safety precaustion - best make sure that you can't use two of the belts by having the wrong catch.

OhDear04-copy.jpg

That's it. Isn't that terrible? Not only for the dodgy sod that did this work, but also for the owners to continue to use the vehicle, not just as a safety issue, but also to take the kids to school every day.

Les. :)

Huh....

Bit rich from a "Tescos Tombraider Offroader"

Giving Tonk of bit a time off from the abuse then ? :blink::huh::lol::D

The old Nimbus 2000 chucked you off and given you the hump then ?

You haven't time for all this jollity, its monday yer know.........

Nige :P:D

Funny you should mention that! my spies saw Miss Tomb Raider, looking at babies clothes and stuff in Chi Tesco's yesterday!!!!! looks like Big Daddy Tonk has finally given me a little brother or sister :lol:

Les - that is shocking!

Perhaps these people should take some legal action against the muppet who make those 'brackets'? Hopefully it might stop him doing it again. It's certainly not fit for it's purpose - does this thing have a (genuine) MOT? - Maybe from the same guy...?

Al.

My favorite:

Long ago, my friend Malcom - decided he wanted defender type mirrors on his range rover. Problem, how to mount them.

Solution - use a LONG 8mm drill, drill straight through the door including the interior trim and use studding with washers on the inside to hold them on.

He was so inspired by this, he did the same on the rear tailgate to hold a HiLift in place!

Also long ago, I had a series II (AEF 568A) and the chassis above the rear wheels needed some attention. I got a quote for welding it up, but couldn't afford it (long before I could weld). Eventually, the chassis broke on both sides leaving a gap which opened up when you went over a bump.

I fitted a micro-switch across the two halves of the chassis which sounded the horn if the gap opened up any. Over the next year or so, I became quite expert in driving it without the horn sounding!

Eventually had to have it welded for the MOT.

I cringe when I think about it!

Si

I fitted a micro-switch across the two halves of the chassis which sounded the horn if the gap opened up any. Over the next year or so, I became quite expert in driving it without the horn sounding!

ROTFLMAO

You owe me a keyboard, and a screen wipe as I've just spat out my coffee :lol:

"Over the next year or so"

Implying that it got an MOT with a microswitch monitoring chassis flex :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Eventually had to have it welded for the MOT.

:lol: awsome! almost laughed out loud but the guy opposite me is getting a huge bollocking from the big boss! :blink:

It sounds like one of those stories you hear down the pub, but with Simon you know it's probably true!

One I am proud of but talk about a bodge...

We were ferrying a load of American tourists to a desert feast in the middle of a dry wash, in the dark one of my M8s reversed onto a huge boulder bending the rear trailing arm, breaking the rear drive shaft and A arm and completly dislodging the rear axel.

The tow company coverage he carried did not include off road recovery so we had to get him back to the main road. We detatched the trailing arm and then using ratchet straps positioned the rear axel roughly where it should be and then towed him to the main road. The 2 km trip went by with no misshaps and the Defender was towed to the garage where the guys drove it off the flat bed and into the service area with no problem !!

On the old tractor we used to use for forestation we often drove home with a front wheel puncture just by taking off the flat and then jamming a log between the chasis and the front wishbone on the good side so raising the now wheel-less side enough to be able to drive on three wheels.

Adam

Probably my own temporary bodges:

Again before I joined the AA/ RAC, the accelorator cable snapped on my first 90. Replaced the cable with a peice of string coming from under the bonnet and in through the drivers window. Drove 40 miles home at minus 2 with the window down using a bodged together hand throttle. I was bloody cold at the end.

Dave

Saw that trick used on a BSA B50, the front hand brake lever being redeployed to operate the throttle. Well that front drum brake never was up to much on the B50 anyway so it seemed very sensible.

Was all fine (along with the 9V lamp battery to get the thing started) and the days passed by....

However, in an emergency situation, such as when rounding a corner and finding your mates shiney red Mk4 spitfire stationary in what was to have been the path of the B50, the brain reverted to sending out pull on the brake signals.

Brain "brake!".

Hand pulls lever, bike goes "thump, thump," (thats quicker on a B50)

Car gets closer.

Brain goes "BRAKE!"

Hand pulls leverl but harder... bike goes "Thump, Thump, Thump,.." (B50s can't get much quicker..)

Crash,.... bike and rider collapse into the Spitifire crushing softtop and trapping mates girlfriend

And the LR related bit? Well she'd have been safer in a LR :)