shocks

series3_mad

i really can see it makin any diffence TBH. would it actually less unsprung weight?

on a coilie it would be comparable to comparing convention motorbike forks to Up Side Down (USD) forks, just that the springs are on the outside rather than on the inside :)

i really can see it makin any diffence TBH. would it actually less unsprung weight?

gggrrrrrrr.... I knew someone would say that! Q. was why would you want to, I gave reason. I didn't say it would make a big difference so I'm with you on that point, maybe up to 1 or 2 kg? which when compared to weight of everything else axle/tyres is not that mcuh but if you are a top competitor and looking for every little advantage....

yes - (I think). Surely even with a leafer, bolting more mass to the axle will increase the unsprung weight regardless of whether it is a damper body or brake disc???? :huh:

brake disc??????

where did that come from?

i think my brake disc conversion is probably lighter than a drum set up (no, i'm not takin them off to weigh them).

i agree that less unsprung weight is an advantage but if all the weight is at the top of vehicle with feather weight axles then on a side slope u would roll easier :rolleyes:

brake disc??????

where did that come from?

This came from me nosing round on kit car forums where there was disccusion about the merits of rear disc vs drums regarding performance, weight, complexity, handbrake etc.

So as not to keep you in suspense, the drums came out lighter, performance between the 2 was neglibile as most braking being done by the front; handbrake arrangement simpler and better.

Jons comment re boots is true, as such if you fit the shocks upside down (ie canister at the top), the mud water and rubbish will leak out of the boots as they are lower and gravity will do its thing.

There is also the reduction of COG to take into account, fitting a 4 shocks canister down means the weight is lower down and therefore better of road as less able to roll over, to get the best of both worls how about fitting them alternately on each axle ?

inok actually do shocks speacially made to be fitted cylinder side up

I'll get me coat

Nige

There's also the more obvious reason why you don't fit them upside down - if the body of the shock gets a bit bashed the shock will still work probably, but if the rod gets damaged, the shock will leak or even break.

Just common sense really.

Some gas shocks do indeed contain oil as well. This is done to better graduate the performance of the unit.

Les. :)

The consensus seems to be that boots are a bad thing. I could see the merit in this arguement and have left the boots off of mine. However, the pitting on the fornt side of the shaft, is now very obvious on mine and will I'm sure lead to rust / seal failure in due course. A boot would have prevented this.

I for one am now wondering if the boot might not be the better idea afterall?