Sat's

nobber

been thinking lately about some tyres , Ive got 6.5 steel landy rims and im after some traditional tyres.

ive heard Sat's are quite scary on the road but then so is my 90 anyways.

so , can you still buy Sat's?

and what other options do i have for traditional type tyres?

also general sags could be an option but if i could get something that wont risk my life in the wet it would be a bonus.

im running 265 grabbers at the moment and i really dont need to slow down all that much for the corners so changing to something with a bad road rep could be dicey.

Guest diesel_jim

I'd go for the 7.50 crossply general SAG over a SAT

a: they're taller (by quite a bit...a good inch,maybe 1 1/2")

b: non directional unlike the SAT

c: slightly better road manners.

don't get the radial SAG... it's much more of a mild tyre, not as aggressive at all.

I went from radial 205 M+S remoulds to a 7.50 crossply SAG and within half an hour it cost me two light lenses, a rear quarterlight and a short section of farmer's fence. Fantastic off the road and predictable on it - you don't have any grip but as I entered the corner I could predict where I was going to end up.

Sadly you can't get new SATs only Mud Pugga's in Raidial.

Both my Series 1 V8 and Hybred V8 are curerntly running Crossply SAT's wet or dry with no problems.

Sure they drift well if you floor it but are easily controlable.

"b: non directional unlike the SAT"

Thats the whole point of having a SAT! :D

If they did SAT pattern tyres in 35" - I reckon they'd sell like hot cakes! I had cross ply's ans later the radial remoulds. The Radials behaved prety well in the wet. They didn't have much grip, but let go very gently and predictably. Simex have more grip in the wet, but tend to let go suddenly - and then it's much harder to correct.

I can see the advantage of non directional tyres - but who wants to go backwards?!

Si

I had General SAGs on my 90. Didn't push them to any limits off road (in that I didn't get stuck) and they were wholey amusing on road. Remember the humming they made, and the deep screech when locked up, much to my amusement and the bint in the ford ka's surprise.

How do sats differ to sags?

Guest diesel_jim
If they did SAT pattern tyres in 35" - I reckon they'd sell like hot cakes! I had cross ply's ans later the radial remoulds. The Radials behaved prety well in the wet. They didn't have much grip, but let go very gently and predictably. Simex have more grip in the wet, but tend to let go suddenly - and then it's much harder to correct.

I can see the advantage of non directional tyres - but who wants to go backwards?!

Si

I remember seeing soem 9.00x16 SAT's years back... they were in a copy of "4x4 magazine", the old black and white one where TEW78X hybrid originated from, thats how long ago!

but i've never seen them in the flesh or for sale anywhere.

I've had crossply and radial SAGs on my truck. Never used the crossply off road, but the radial ones are not that good off road.

They are truly rubbish on wet asphalt, giving the same about of grip as one would expect on sheet ice - this is no exaggeration.

Roundabout at 20mph = Understeer, followed by oversteer and general sidewayness, a hedge in your window and poo in your pants.

The crossplys are the only tyre I've been able to lock up in the dry.

Moderate braking on a dry moderate hill with traffic lights at the bottom usually resulted in screeeeeeeeeeeech and some scared pedestrians.

Having just changed to BFG muds, I've been pleasantly surprised how good they are in the wet.

YMMV - i.e may be less that you though.