2.8 international TGV

Hi there,

New to this site but seen how helpful you all are so thought i'd give you a blast!

Anyways, i have read up on some of the previous posts regarding this but not really found what i need to know, so here goes....

Im currently running a 1989 3.5 V8 90, and as much as i love it, i am a little frustrated with the loss of load space due to my gas tank and the carp range you get from a tank of LPG!

Also any sign of major water and it doesnt like it!

I want to run a diesel so i can make my own B100 to run it on but i do still want a good bit of power.

One choice is to put money i would get from selling the 90 towards a td5 90 and modify as i want,

OR, I do like the look of the 2.8 TGV (as its very basic), and buy an dead 300tdi 90 to convert.

The main down sides to the td5 is the electrics and i would have to buy myself a diagnostics kit and learn all about that side of things.

am i right in thinking it might be hard to get bits for the 2.8??

All your views are much appreciated in advance.

Cheers, Paul

Hi there,

New to this site but seen how helpful you all are so thought i'd give you a blast!

Anyways, i have read up on some of the previous posts regarding this but not really found what i need to know, so here goes....

Im currently running a 1989 3.5 V8 90, and as much as i love it, i am a little frustrated with the loss of load space due to my gas tank and the carp range you get from a tank of LPG!

Also any sign of major water and it doesnt like it!

I want to run a diesel so i can make my own B100 to run it on but i do still want a good bit of power.

One choice is to put money i would get from selling the 90 towards a td5 90 and modify as i want,

OR, I do like the look of the 2.8 TGV (as its very basic), and buy an dead 300tdi 90 to convert.

The main down sides to the td5 is the electrics and i would have to buy myself a diagnostics kit and learn all about that side of things.

All your views are much appreciated in advance.

Cheers, Paul

personally i think the TD5 is a superb engine, after 8 years of use its proved very reliable, minus the oil in the injector harness issue they seem quite bullet proof, just romours seem to keep people away from it!

With chipping the ECU ect its capable of so much!

just my 2p worth

Options, options;

- Fit EDIS (controlled by either MegaJolt or MegaSquirt) to the V8 and have waterproof ignition and switchable timing tables for petrol & LPG. Better power, more economy, tunable, nice burbling noise B) If your V8 is carbs, converting to EFi would also up power/driveability and economy.

- Spend a huge amount of money on a TGV and end up with good power, slightly improved MPG, and spend all your life replacing drivetrain components.

- Buy a non-electronical TDi and tweak fuel pump / add big intercooler etc. for usable power/economy

- Buy an electronic TDi and spend money on chips etc.

- Stick a non-Land Rover lump in and be a dirty heathen. For the price of a TGV you could have an LS1 :wub: on the more sensible side, there are some good Japanese lumps that can be fitted. Personally in something relatively light like a 90 I can't help but wonder what would happen if you fitted something modern like a 2.0 Zetec lump, probably has more power than a V8.

It really depends what you want and how the numbers/logistics stack up for your use of the vehicle, depth of pockets, size of tool collection, etc.

There's a rumour going around that it is going out of production. I don't know how true this is, but if I was buying one new, I'd want to be very sure of being able to get parts for a long time to come. Very little of it is shared with the 300tdi.

i always fancied the idea of sticking a 3.0l supra lump in a LR.

or if it has to be diesel, the merc sprinter turbo diesel.

but as money, and more importantly TIME are always in such short supply - it will forever more remain a vapour build unless i win the lottery.

Trouble with a lot of these other engines is the torque spread. The Land Rover lumps have been tuned specially to release torque way down the rev range.

A supra engine would make driving a LR offroad a nightmare.

I'd stick with either a 300Tdi or a TD5. Designed to fit with all the parts available, bomb proof and have the right power mapping out of the box (although both and relatively cheaply modified).

my 2p

In the wise words of Marco Cosic, "fit a revvy engine and gear it down". He had a 2-litre M-series Rover unit with a turbo. It's designed to rev, so let it!

Can see the logic but it just doesn't feel right.

How about a high-revving K-series engine or honda unit?

I'll stick to my leaden TD5 thanks ;)

Well, thats helped me think more sensibly about it.

Think i had a mad moment thinking about the 2.8- Sounds like a beast though!!

Think I'l save my 2P's up for a Td5 and go about a remap etc. I suppose its all done for me then and its simple, cheap and easy to replace etc.

Anyway, thanks guys for the wise words!

Paul :D

The 88 twink was damn good though - oh and the truck that won the AWDC Challenge at Slindon today was running a 6-pot Supra lump, he seemed to do OK. It may not have quite the peak torque of a LR lump but that doesn't mean it's not a better engine in other respects. Being able to pull smoothly across a wide rev range is far more useful than a lump of torque in a ~1000rpm band before it runs out of puff.

there's a name we haven't seen for a very long time

He was a laugh! Another good conversion would be to put the first Direct injection diesel ever to go into a Landrover.............Izuzu 4BD1. Can be turboed but alas.........They are only available in truck type flatbeds here :(

Alex

He was a laugh! Another good conversion would be to put the first Direct injection diesel ever to go into a Landrover.............Izuzu 4BD1. Can be turboed but alas.........They are only available in truck type flatbeds here

Brilliant motor, but you need to put a LT95 behind it and when they are turboed even the lt95 is not a long liver, (as fitted to perentie 6x6 (OZ SAS) :rolleyes:

The Fiat/GM 1.9 TiD used in Saabs/Alfas etc is a cracking lump - torque isn't low down enough really, though would be different on a LR drivetrain I spose

150bhp 236lb/ft as standard, or can be tuned up to nearly 200bhp.

I reckon there'll be a few intersting diesel conversions coming long once these modern diesels start getting broken up.

Is the standard Td5 surly not the best bet. messing around with bellhousing conversions would start to tax me- I felt the stress when i took the 2.5 lump out to replace it and had a huge hole in the front of my truck to which i had to fit a LT85 and V8! :( :( :(

All ran well once done but that got me sweating!

Think the Td5 is a nice safe bet!

Re-map to 200 Bhp ish with huge intercooler, sorted! :D

Oh then B100 all the way as its now £1.08 a litre where i live!!!