Diesel engine

Corrode Finger

Yes indeed the RR TD6 is BMW's 3.0d common rail diesel engine, they put it in 3,5 & 7 series as well as the X3 and X5.

Very good, powerful and reliable from what I here, my dad's TD6 did just under 100,000 being trashed and I do mean trashed!! :rolleyes: from the day he bought it, without missing a beat.

can't help with...

Repairs?

What to watch for?

...tho I'm afriad

SPT

My parents have a TDV6 sport. It's as fast as a V8 classic, smoother, quieter, and does about 28mpg - all in a vehicle that weighs 50% more. Their's has been fine so far - not sure of mileage, they've had it about eighteen months. I'm not sure I'd like to work on it if it does go wrong though - too much in the way of black box electronics and there really isn't any room to work round it! Everything's boxed in under plastic covers too.

If you could get one running in an older truck it would go like stink :D

My parents have a TDV6 sport. It's as fast as a V8 classic, smoother, quieter, and does about 28mpg - all in a vehicle that weighs 50% more. Their's has been fine so far - not sure of mileage, they've had it about eighteen months. I'm not sure I'd like to work on it if it does go wrong though - too much in the way of black box electronics and there really isn't any room to work round it! Everything's boxed in under plastic covers too.

If you could get one running in an older truck it would go like stink :D

Guy only gets 22mpg from his.

I could only manage 25mpg when I drove it to the LRO a few years ago.

But you have seen me drive so you can understand Guy's stlye make me look slow

I liked it for its driveablity for a diesel

Your parents have a V6 Jag engine then Geoff, not the straight 6 BMW one. The older 2.5 diesels in RRs were the same engine as fitted in Vauxhall Carletons.

Chris

The earlier engines were all 2.5 not 3.0 though, weren't they? So I presume it's the TDV6 Corrode Finger's asking about. Or was there a 3.0 version of the BMW straight six? What did Range Rover MkIIIs have before the TDV6? :unsure:

Guy only gets 22mpg from his.

I could only manage 25mpg when I drove it to the LRO a few years ago.

But you have seen me drive so you can understand Guy's stlye make me look slow

I liked it for its driveablity for a diesel

My parents were quite upset at only get 28mpg... They used to get 35mpg out of the 300Tdi Discovery that I have now (I can only squeeze 30mpg out of it). They do mostly extra-urban, non-motorway and relatively long distance driving (most journeys are at least ten miles), and are both mechanically sympathetic drivers.

My parents were quite upset at only get 28mpg... They used to get 35mpg out of the 300Tdi Discovery that I have now (I can only squeeze 30mpg out of it). They do mostly extra-urban, non-motorway and relatively long distance driving (most journeys are at least ten miles), and are both mechanically sympathetic drivers.

That was day to day driving from Portsmouth to Heathrow return every day for about 60k.

Guy is the lease mechanically sympathetic driver I have ever seen

He is the only person I have ever seen snap both end off a rear prop on his 110 camel in one action.

Didn't think that much of the BMW 3l Diesel in our RR Vogue. The LR version is slightly down on tune compared to BMW equivalents and with the weight of the RR it was sluggish to overtake etc.

It was ok for general driving and fine for motorway. Did 75,000 miles in just over 3 years and IIRC about 25-27mpg. Engine was all ok apart from it needing a couple of injectors after a trip to Spain and France.

Cheers

Steve

P38 2.5 BMW straight6

L322 3.0l BMW straght6

RR Sport and Disco3 Jag V6

Later sportV8 diesel and L322 V8 diesel V8 Jag.

Not sure if the V6 diesel ever went into L322s.

As I understand it.

Chris

Correct as my understanding goes and TDV6 didnt go in the L322s

TDV6 in RRS and D3 is 2.7L and single turbo

28mpg is bloody good for a RRS ours gets about 22mpg average the TDV8 gets 28/29mpg regularly.

Didn't think that much of the BMW 3l Diesel in our RR Vogue. The LR version is slightly down on tune compared to BMW equivalents and with the weight of the RR it was sluggish to overtake etc.

It was ok for general driving and fine for motorway. Did 75,000 miles in just over 3 years and IIRC about 25-27mpg. Engine was all ok apart from it needing a couple of injectors after a trip to Spain and France.

Cheers

Steve

I'd agree with Steve - I drove both the V8 and TD6 before my Dad bought a L322. We had the V8 for a day and then 30 minutes with the TD6 afterwards. Compared to the V8 it was slow, sluggish and noisey (in totally the wrong way). There was no competition between the two so the V8 won. I wasn't that surprised with the performance, though, as the L322 is a very heavy car - in a 3 series the 3l tdi is one hell of an engine. There also seem to be quite a lot of racers running with them so they can't be too bad :)

Interestingly the V8 RR3 18.5 mpg on average over the three years my dad had it which isn't that much worse than a TD6 and, yes, it was driven reasonably hard. ;)

They are supposedly the puppies nuts... It is the BMW M57 engine. Depending on the age they come as standard at 184HP, ~224HP and the twin turbo at 284HP B) B) B) .

All have vaible inlet guide vanes on the turbo, so have good low doen torque. No LR gearboxes good enough for these though. They alegedly have the best power to engine wieght ratio of ~3.0 ltr size diesels. Only down side seams to be getting the electric's to work. When I discussed with Jeremy Fearn he knew how to surmount this. Also said that none of the racers he had supplied engines to had ever had to strip an engine - 'it's a BMW mate'.

So would you chose a 2.5ltr TD5 tuned to an aleged ~200HP, never sold by LR in that form, exhaust manifold will fall off etc. Or go for a 284HP engine as deemed reliable enough to be sold in a beamer????????

Only issue then is what axles and gearbox do you use.

Adrian

Be nice as a donor engine......... but i was considering it as a daily driver.

Sounds like the engine is superb, but lacking in a Range Rover, might have to consider the 330d BMW.

Also sounds like the economy is painful in the RR, but appears good when looking at it in the BMW.

Good move, had nothing but trouble with our RR TD6. Went through two front diffs, injectors, air suspension sensors, numerous electrical issues, rear boot leaking that blew 2 sat nav units etc etc etc.

Had two RR 4.6 before that which were excellent, only probs I had on these were caused by lots of off roading.

Cheers

Steve

Good move, had nothing but trouble with our RR TD6. Went through two front diffs, injectors, air suspension sensors, numerous electrical issues, rear boot leaking that blew 2 sat nav units etc etc etc.

Had two RR 4.6 before that which were excellent, only probs I had on these were caused by lots of off roading.

Cheers

Steve

Wow! I used to drive my mates all the time and he didn't even service his td6 and it never missed a beet

I'm not sure I'd like to work on it if it does go wrong though - there really isn't any room to work round it!

That statement made me laugh out loud :)

If you think that a 3.0l is tight for space you've obviously not had the pleasure of working on a TDV8 or AJ133SC, you literally cannot see daylight from beneath them.

And if you think thats bad then try working on an early 90's JCB Loadall with the engine under the boom, oh what joy :(

They are supposedly the puppies nuts... It is the BMW M57 engine. Depending on the age they come as standard at 184HP, ~224HP and the twin turbo at 284HP B) B) B) .

All have vaible inlet guide vanes on the turbo, so have good low doen torque. No LR gearboxes good enough for these though. They alegedly have the best power to engine wieght ratio of ~3.0 ltr size diesels. Only down side seams to be getting the electric's to work. When I discussed with Jeremy Fearn he knew how to surmount this. Also said that none of the racers he had supplied engines to had ever had to strip an engine - 'it's a BMW mate'.

So would you chose a 2.5ltr TD5 tuned to an aleged ~200HP, never sold by LR in that form, exhaust manifold will fall off etc. Or go for a 284HP engine as deemed reliable enough to be sold in a beamer????????

Only issue then is what axles and gearbox do you use.

Adrian

i smell a vapour build :lol: