Hi Lift Jacks

Godlykepower

What are the options for mounting a Hi-Lift Jack to a Defender? I have seen two Hi Lift products, the Loc Rac & 4xrac.....and it appears that you can secure one of them with a padlock....can you lock the other securely, as that is the one I think I prefer (as it has a place for the base to sit). Is the best place to mount it on the rear off-side corner?

Martin

If you mount it outside you'll have to maintain it a lot more than you would inside and the main shaft will rust. Inside and it just needs cleaning after use. I mount mine in rear tub where it's out of the way..

DefMods006Medium.jpg

It's secured with a couple of M12 bolts.

DefMods005Medium.jpg

Cheers

Steve

If you need to take it (other jacks are far better unless off roading, and even a bottle jack is better offroad for tyre changing) have it bolted down inside.

If it's on the outside it looks nice, but when you need to use it a good spray of WD40 will be needed to get the pins moving as they do gum up with the rain etc.. Of course it will work fine jacking up, but then it will misbehave when you want to lower the vehicle again.

Some wheel carriers have nice mounting brackets, that obscure the rear lights. Mostly the fog light.

Richard

ladder jacks are obviosuly getting a bit of a slating here but i swear by mine and wouldnt take the off roader out without one, its been used to recover me backwards prior to rewinch, straighten out the body and change wheels, lift off trees stumps etc so worth its weight in gold to me.

.... dont have one in the road 90 though...

Mines in the Yard tilting up a diesel bowser , infact I use it quite a lot at work , Lifting ISO containers , spreading lorry chassis to it cross members , Lining parabolic springs up , the list is endless .

Infact I dont use it much on the off roader except for doubling up as a fairlead for a 3rd winch . If we get a flat tyre , find a strong tree and winch the motor off the ground . :D

On the last JST competion at Culmhead we got the cross member underneath the gearbox stuck on a tree stump, all the chainsaws back in Wolverhampton. Could'nt winch it off so the hi-lift worked just enough to get the waffle boards under the back wheels.

They certainly need a bit of practice to get things right.

ladder jacks are obviosuly getting a bit of a slating here but i swear by mine and wouldnt take the off roader out without one, its been used to recover me backwards prior to rewinch, straighten out the body and change wheels, lift off trees stumps etc so worth its weight in gold to me.

.... dont have one in the road 90 though...

Same here, they are a great tool. Safe to use once you know how and make sure you don't lose grip off handle.

Cheers

Steve

As above^^^^^

They are awsomely useful and versatile tools and invaluable off road accessories... It is just worth getting to know how and when to use it- preferably before you need to use it in anger!!

Mine has got me out of a large number of 'situations'- not least a cow stuck in a crush...

I have always preferred to mount mine horizontally accross the rear of the centre bulkhead.

Shrek

I always had mine mounted outside the truck on the swing out wheel carrier via a couple of 12mm studs and a few R-clips to stop the wing nuts coming in-done. It was quick to get to when needed but attracted more dirt, sand & carp being outside.

If you have room inside the truck then that would probably be the most Hi-Lift freindly answer.

How-ever...I think the best storage solution is one of those black plastic storage cases purpose built for Hi-Lifts and Jackals. It has the lockable capacity and also keeps water, dirt and grim off of the jack when not in use.

I've never seen one face to face and don't know if it's possible to hard mount...but they sure do look like a good idea.

S.

Will, why not tell us about safety and hi-lifts?

If you don't actually kill yourself a good Hi-Lift accident is a great way of catching up on work I have found. Two weeks not being able to talk due to biting a lump of tongue off means no telephone distractions. :)

Will ;)