Tyre Choice - BFG A/T or M/T?

For a 110 csw with 2" lift. Will get the 255 85 16's

I'm going to put these on Wolf rims from paddock's for use 50% on and 50% off the road.

It's not an everyday 'car' but will be used to travel 130 odd miles to and from inlaws place every other weekend or so, where it will do most of the mud plugging in wet bog/peat type soil other than club outings, and the occasional short commute to and from work.

Its intended that landrover will be a working vehicle on the inlaws farmland.

Do I go for BFG A/T or M/T?

Any disadvantaes other than less offroad grip with the a/t's?

Cheers.

IMHO, a better tyre more suited to your intended use is the Cooper Discoverer S/T. Kind of a hybrid on/off road tyre, more gnarly than an AT, not as full on as a M/T. Better still they're the only other tyre you can get in the rare 255 size you're looking for. Been running S/T's myself for three years now and can't fault them.

IMHO, a better tyre more suited to your intended use is the Cooper Discoverer S/T. Kind of a hybrid on/off road tyre, more gnarly than an AT, not as full on as a M/T. Better still they're the only other tyre you can get in the rare 255 size you're looking for. Been running S/T's myself for three years now and can't fault them.

X2

I have found the Cooper STT's to be the absolute business - but vouch for the ST's as well. BFG MT's rate well too but the A/T's are just too tame and the lugs do not clean easily when it comes to the stick stuff.

One question though - I am in South Africa and these are the two most popular off road tyres on the road - but does the STT come in 255x85x16? Can't find any here and thought either I must change dealer or they are just not available. 265's, 285's, 31's - 33's most popular sizes here for the multi-tasker RV.

rgrds,

Will F

I'm looking for Mud Terrains, I've heard good things of the STT, but where can you find them? Their website doesn't have prices.

Will Colway MTs give the same traction as their BFG counterparts? I know they're a remould and won't do the same mileage, but does this effect any other aspect of their performance?

I've also heard MTs can make braking/wet conditions on road a bit dodgy. I'd be buying them as a spare set for offroading, but would have to travel to the sites on them, by road.

Sorry to thread hi-jack but didn't seem worth a new topic.

Goodyear MT's not available in 255.

Don't confuse Cooper ST with STT. STT is their more aggressive range of MT tyre. The STT is not available in a 255. The ST is.

Cooper importer is Sinton Tyres in Milton Keynes. You can buy direct from them. Prices here.

ST sizes and prices

STT sizes and prices

Wow that's handy - they're just round the corner from me.