Plymouth to Dakar

jules

As me and some of my racing friends have resigned to the fact we can't afford to compete in the Dakar we well 3 or 4 couples are going to enter the Plymouth to Dakar in some old Disco's or whatever we can find cheap ;)

has anyone ever competed in it as we are looking at 2009 event

I've been looking at these events - Mongol Rally, Ply-Dak etc etc.

To be honest, especially with the 'New Adventurist' ones, I can't see the point.

They make you pay hundreds + get sponsorship etc, and then do virtually nothing for you - no road books / routes, categorically no assistance whatsoever, just organise a party, and give you a door sticker... Meh...

Seems like you could just go on your own, have exactly the same level of support, and do exactly the same thing for free?!?

Plus I've tried to get on the last few, but its always oversubscribed... There were 3 rounds of entries to the latest Mongol Rally, and I didn't get into any of them - they don't even have the manners to send you an email saying 'sorry you were unsucessful'... Plus now they've turned it into a business proper, I'm a bit more jaded about using them (and giving them money - WHAT FOR?)

Anyone wanna do a mini one! :D

Cheers, Al.

:)

Also been looking at this for some while and came to same conclusion as Al, it seems that you need LHD motors for under £100.

Probably best to drive your own 4x4 over and back that would be a nice challenge, unless of course you want to leave it their.

Peter

If there is enough interest we could just drive down as a forum group for a laugh in some ratty old 4x4's

even if we go as MOFORC

Basically I'm up for a few thousand mile road / off road trip to somewhere hot (as long as I don't need to remorgae my house to go) and raise some cash for charity at the same time :lol:

I will have three teams/cars.

who is up for a laugh Al my be onto something there

Wasn't the guy organising one of those the same dodgy geezer who organised all those "world record convoy" attempts (pay £40 to sit in a convoy of Landies) among other things? He seems to be well known, but not for the right reasons.

No different chap

John give me some credit please :huh:

And the P2D event has been successful unlike the above

Jules, I know a couple of guys who did the Mongul Rally in an SJ and loved it - he had some great stories too include what to do if you're SJ shears a set of rear wheel studs 200 km from civilisation. I think these sort of things are a great adventure if you get the chance.

Wasn't the guy organising one of those the same dodgy geezer who organised all those "world record convoy" attempts (pay £40 to sit in a convoy of Landies) among other things? He seems to be well known, but not for the right reasons.

Nah jon that geezer you thinking of could not organise as pi** up in a Brewey. Never understod why anyone would pay £40 to sit ina traffic jam. Can do that on the M25 for free :rolleyes:

Jules, I know a couple of guys who did the Mongul Rally in an SJ and loved it - he had some great stories too include what to do if you're SJ shears a set of rear wheel studs 200 km from civilisation. I think these sort of things are a great adventure if you get the chance.

Agree Will

After my trip around Aus i would recomend a trip like this

Would be a life remebering trip

But you could, of course, have exactly the same adventure if you just set off tomorrow...

Al. :rolleyes:

P.S. - No, sorry not exactly the same adventure. It'd be cheaper.

Of course they could set off tomorrow after donating a wad of cash to the forum and then it would be the same adventure ;)

Dare I say

between the posters on this thread there is enough knowledge and experience to do it on are own anyway so who would be up for it in 2009. A less then £1000 4x4 anything goes blast to and across some of Africa

Plymouth (well the ferry goes from Portsmouth so we could just start there) To last car still running somewhere in Africa :lol:

Dare I say

between the posters on this thread there is enough knowledge and experience to do it on are own anyway so who would be up for it in 2009. A less then £1000 4x4 anything goes blast to and across some of Africa

Plymouth (well the ferry goes from Portsmouth so we could just start there) To last car still running somewhere in Africa :lol:

last car still running in africa thats a bit optomistic. how about furtherst away from the ferry :)

Yes I did the P to D in 2004. My wife and I did it in an old 2cv wuith some friends in an ice cream van. Its good fun.

Choose a car that does lots of miles to the gallon. The Plymouth Dakar run is just under 5000 miles. If you choose to do it in an old V8 or a 4x4 it will cost you alot more in fuel. Whilst these trips sound cheap it ended up costing my wife an I nearly £2k each. Fuel, ferry, visas, accomodation, flight back, bribes across border (Senegal it was 70 quid each).

It is well worth it and you'll meet some great if somewhat essentric people

post-631-1198238058_thumb.jpg

post-631-1198238080_thumb.jpg

post-631-1198238090_thumb.jpg