Cable Crimp

smo

35mm cable terminals are a bit beyond my soldering iron! Not sure i can crush them in a pair of pliers, was thinking of fabbing a former of some sort to use in the vice?

I use a blow torch when I solder my terminals , I prefer to solder and heat shrink the terminals as it seals them from corosion .

• 4 weeks later...
I need to crimp some battery cable terminals but dont have a BIG crimper and dont want to spend a fortune - so, any suggestions on how to make one?

Buy some cheap pliers or find an old pair.

Grind a vee in each jaw where the rounded grip part is. Grip the crimp with the pliers then squeeze the whole lot in a vice.

You will have to experiment with the size of the vee to gets its size right for the grimp size.

Steve

This is the crimper i made to go in a vice.

vicecrimp.jpg

Both sides are rounded to suit the terminal, rather than just being flat. I usually crimp the terminal, then rotate it 180, and crimp it again, this results in three bands down the terminal. testing has proven it to be a very strong crimp.

Being a retired sparky I seem to remember that the crimp tools I used were designed to compress the crimp all the way around its circumference rather then just squashing it as you would with a vice or pliers. It did this by having semicircular (or sometimes hexagonal) jaws that were smaller then the natural diameter of the crimp. In others the jaws also had a bump to put a depression into the side of the crimp while preventing the crimp from spreading under pressure.

For best electrical contact the crimp should be properly sized to the conductor area or additional strands of cable added to make up the size. The electro-mechanical strength of the crimp is in fully consolidating the strands of the conductor together along with the bore of the crimp so the fit needs to be good to start with.

Soldering would work almost as well so long as the strands of the conductor are fully tinned when soldered to the crimp. I would say that if the crimp was heated and the conductor plunged in then the solder may cool before it is able to fully coat all the strands especially in the centre of the conductor.

If you want to make vice mounted crimp jaws then you could get two bits of steel about 6-10 mm thick in the vice jaws clamped edge to edge and then drill a hole, slightly smaller then the outside diameter of the crimp by maybe 1mm, through the steel where they meet so that you get two matching semicircles.

If you needed these to be tighter then space the two bits of steel before drilling so the hole would be flattened in one axis when the spacer is removed.

With these fitted to removable vice jaws you would be able to crimp accurately each time. If required a small stud could be made on one of the semicircles to indent the crimp. This could be a spot of weld or a ball bearing in a small drilling or similar.

Guest diesel_jim
I need to crimp some battery cable terminals but dont have a BIG crimper and dont want to spend a fortune - so, any suggestions on how to make one?

I'm in Swindon, Wilts, and being a sparky of sorts, have a pukka set of crimpers.

if you want to fling the cable in the post i'll gladly crimp them up for ya.

or if you're up this way, pop in.

I used to be a senior installer on British Rail and when we did battery rooms, (yes, rooms full of big batteries) if no proper crimps were available we would solder crimps on.

Using a blow lamp (not a flame thrower) we would tin the wire and then fill the hot crimp with molten solder, just a quick reheat on the wire the fuse the two together making sure the solder remains a nice bright silver, then a bit of insulation tape or a heatshrink and hey presto, you have phsyically and electrically sound union.

Remember when wiring winches and big supplies 9 times out of 10 theres no fuse involved and a large battery, usually mounted under a seat (which can sometimes take a couple of minutes to remove) and if a crapply crimped end falls off, the perfect potential to start a cracking fire with a bare end and a potential of 600+ amps, and I bet your insurance company would be all to happy to sort you out.

Take up deisel jims offer, and buy him a beer, you know it makes sense.

I'm in Swindon, Wilts, and being a sparky of sorts, have a pukka set of crimpers.

if you want to fling the cable in the post i'll gladly crimp them up for ya.

or if you're up this way, pop in.

Cheers Jim, very kind of you to offer, I think im sorted with a local set but if i get stuck i'll shout :)