I may have bought a stolen Land Rover

jericho

That's the point I was going for - why should the victim be out of pocket? Someone I know got robbed. He received compensation for loss of earnings &c &c, I was once a prosecution witness, I got out of pocket expenses.

It seems if you're a victim of car crime you lose out twice over - like when my car was stolen I was ripped off a second time by Cornhill Insurance.

I'd suggest writing down every serial number on the car you can see

axles/gearbox/transfer box/engine/chassis and if poss take pictures

that is what I have done for the last few vehicles I have owned.

you never know when you may be asked to prove you own/can trace something.

I hope you get a good result following the inspection.

The rulesmay haave changed but this is what happened to a freind.

He bought a Q plate Lightweight Hybrid from a guy outside apub in Heathrow, then latter he followed this by buying a Q plate Harley chop.

Some months laterthe police cam to see the Hybrid and anounced that it was stolen. Eventually the Police returned and announced that yes it was stolen but that they could not identify it so he could keep itbut couldd not sell it as this would constitute dealing in stolen property.

A few more months later and Police Officers from a different force came to his house and announced that the Harley had come from shop that had just been cought ringing bikes and that they needed to check his bike.

As the bike had S&S engine cases and a new headstock it was very likely that the bike was a ringer but again the police could not identifiy it.

Agin he was toldthat he could keep it but could not sell it.

I hope youare lucky if it does turn out to be stolen.

Spoke to the local vehicle examination officer today who was very reasonable.

He is prepared to 'borrow' the vehicle from me for a couple of hours to do his examination,then return it to me while the force who are leading the investigation make up their mind as to what they want to do with the information.

The most likely outcome then is either that they cannot identify the vehicle,in which case I keep it,or that they successfully identify it as stolen and it is up to some insurance company to decide whether i can buy it off them or not.

Thanks for the sympathy,it does help a little.

Will keep you all informed. Jerry.

Jerry,

This happened to me with a sierra 2.8 4x4i once. It was examined, I was very accommodating, polite etc.. the upshot was that they couldn't trace it to an owner or insurance company who wanted it back, so after about 3-months I received a letter clearing it stating I was the rightful owner. I had the vehicle in my possession all the time.

Hope it works out well

Jas

I had a similar experience four years ago, I saw a 110 double cab advertised in auto trader, looked at it. Went to the guys house, had a test drive and liked it. Price was £16000, got the guy down to £15500 for cash.

I was a bit sceptical about it so I did a HPI check, I had the log book, vehicle was taxed and MoT,ed. No service history but the guy said it was with a company they buy vehicles from which corresponded with the name on the log book and it would be on its way.

The VIN no in the log book checked with the one by the windscreen and the tax matched as well, HPI check came back clear so away we go.

Two weeks later I was stopped and arrested and the vehicle impounded. It was a ringer.

No come back from HPI, they say the details I gave them were correct. However, there were two vehicle's with the same details, the real one was down south some where.

The 110 was returned to the insurance company which happens to be the same one that had Si R's burn out so there is no negotiation. They then sold it on for much less than I had paid for it and I thought I got it at a good price.

I had put some bits onto it which they new I had done and were therefore mine, it took me ages to get the money back for the bits, got nothing for the 110.

Thanks Matt - that's what I suspected. You never know though - there are some odd bits of law left over from the olden days!

Town Police Clauses Act 1847...

Furious driving of any horse or carriage...

Wantonly discharging a firearm in any street to the obstruction, annoyance or danger of residents or passengers...

and I think there may still be something there about beating rugs in the street...!