Easy and cheap TD5 Defender cruise control

ashtrans

When I clicked the link within that thread you linked to, I got this:

- CT SECURITY SYSTEM INFO -

Das CT Security System hat entdeckt, dass Sie versucht haben

mit einer geblockten IP oder Host Adresse oder über einen Proxy Server

dieses Forum zu besuchen oder Sie verwenden Harvester bzw. Spider Tools oder der Admin hat

Ihre User Agent geblockt, oder es wurde von Ihnen versucht einen schädlichen Code oder Exploit

in diesem Forum auszuführen.

Diese Aktion wurde geblockt und alle Informationen darüber wurden gespeichert.

Sollte diese Nachricht erscheinen, nachdem eine neue Funktion im Forum eingebaut wurde oder

diese Meldung wurde angezeigt nach Einbau des Security System, benachrichtigen Sie bitte

den Board Administrator, damit das Problem gelöst werden kann.

Kontakt: Admin

The CT Security System has discovered,

that you tried to visit the Forum with a blocked IP, host address, over proxy server,

you used Harvester and/or Spider Tools, the Admin had blocked your user agent

or you tried to execute any harmful code or to implement an exploit.

Your action was blocked and all informations about it was saved.

If this message appears after a new function was implemented in the forum software or the

CT Security System was installed, you ought to inform the board administrator to fix this error.

CT Security System Pre 6.0.0alpha1

- www.radiosunlight.de -

and then it takes you to http://87.114.128.152/ after asking for my login details for my router!

seems dodgy to me - I never have anything on my pc that is dodgy. I run a firewall & antivirus software.

Don't click the german link, just scroll down and all will be explained. To save you the effort I've pasted the worthwhile repsonse here...

"ok ok, I will translate it for you:

The plug on top is the black plug on the ECU under the seat.

The pins on the ECU will be connected the following way:

Pin 10 - ignition +12V

Pin 11 - switch 1 (set function)

Pin 15 - ignition +12V

Pin 17 - switch 2 (resume function)

Pin 19 - is only mentioned, that you can connect here the available TD5 tachometer, not used for the cruise control

So the cruise control works by supplying ignition +12V to pin 10/15 permanently and the functions are activated by supplying the same temporary to pin 11 or 17.

For getting the ignition switched +12V (Zuendplus Klemme 15), if I remember correctly, when I had last time my dash off, use the green/white cable at the temperature or fuel gauge in the dash. Put two switches on the dash and run a long cable to the ECU.

More clear now? It works on my TD5
biggrin.gif
but no guarantee
wasntme.gif

browny"

Cheers

Steve

Gotta say cruise control was the best mod I have done on my TDi Disco. Bit more complex than a Td5, but parts seem to be common between lots of cars - I used parts from a Saab, Volvo, Jag, and LR. Makes it sooo easy to drive on long trips.

And no smart comments about using a brick! Quite happily hit 100 thanks very much...

The pins on the ECU will be connected the following way:

Pin 10 - ignition +12V

Pin 11 - switch 1 (set function)

Pin 15 - ignition +12V

Pin 17 - switch 2 (resume function)

Based on my "research" on the rave-CD of a TD5-disco (which uses the same ECU as a TD5-Defender) from 2002 onwards; Pin 10 is the input signal for the brake contact and - therefore - should NOT be put permanently on 12V.

Pin 15 (activation cruise control) can be wired via an ignition +12V but it is far better to put an on-off switch in-between.

One of these days; I'll test the circuit on my TD5 defender to see confirmed (I hope) my statement that pin 10 should not be wired to ignition +12V.

I did read somewhere that there was a problem with doing this - something about only working in 4th gear.

That said, these guys don't seem to have had that problem.

If its the same one I'm thinking about....

I think they had the same problem as the bloke with the GKN overdrive in the Australian Thread.

From what I gather, the kit works OK with standard gearing, but if you fit an overdrive, or a Disco transfer box (i.e. the 1.222:1 gears) etc etc then you start having problems.

Ian

Based on my "research" on the rave-CD of a TD5-disco (which uses the same ECU as a TD5-Defender) from 2002 onwards; Pin 10 is the input signal for the brake contact and - therefore - should NOT be put permanently on 12V.

Pin 15 (activation cruise control) can be wired via an ignition +12V but it is far better to put an on-off switch in-between.

One of these days; I'll test the circuit on my TD5 defender to see confirmed (I hope) my statement that pin 10 should not be wired to ignition +12V.

Although it is the same ECU... the coding (i.e. the fuelling and variant files) are different...

Looking at the wiring diagram for a 2002 Defender pin 10 is not used in a Defender application.

Ian

Although it is the same ECU... the coding (i.e. the fuelling and variant files) are different...

Looking at the wiring diagram for a 2002 Defender pin 10 is not used in a Defender application.

Ian

So you reackon this would work then Ian?

A mate has asked me to have a look at fitting it for him - I was going to give you a ring to check before I had a go.

• 4 weeks later...

my mate, who posted the circuit diagram on the german forum, has sold and fitted loads of these cruisecontrols to td5's. and i think he only ever had 2 comebacks were he had to help with his rovacom.

i got the loom lying here but havent gotten round to fitting it to mine yet.

i can get in touch with him and bring some ready made kits ,including the harness and switches over.

JJ

Guest diesel_jim
I have not done it yet but I do plan to. I need to find some suitable switches...

Chris

The old 2 spoke style rangie steering wheel fits the defender splines, and some of those had the cruise switches mounted in the middle bit of the wheel (well, dad's old rangie did :unsure: )

• 3 months later...