Another foray into heating

FridgeFreezer

Unfortunately I don't have a shed to keep this in at the moment, but it certainly warmed the patio up on the test run :D

heater.jpg

It's a 19kg gas bottle, I stuck some wire mesh (which may closely resemble a cable tray from work) in the bottom, and the chimney is a bit of 3" exhaust pipe. Door handles are a RR wheel bearing race sliced in half :D

I think it needs more air holes round the bottom but seems to burn nicely enough.

That's a nice looking bit of kit!

I started on something similar but using an old fire extinguisher. Haven't got round to fitting the door or top cap yet, too many other things to do! Will see if I can dig out a pic later.

I'm thinking of a bigger version for in the barn (freezing cold damp trap!) using an old steel barrel that's buried in the hedge.

What are the inside of gas bottles like, do the have nay nasty residues in? I now know that extingishers have an interal plastic lining that takes ages to burn off!

Cheers

Ell

Very nice Fridge!

Stick some more holes in the bottom and a butterfly 'throttle' valve in the flue and you're laughing!

If it gets hot you'll probably find the wire mesh collapses - that happened on my oil-drum BBQ. So you might need to weld in some more beefy bars/solid grille material in the end (or some little tabs to rest one on so you can take it out and shovel the ash out).

Good job!

Al.

I've got an old gas bottle for converting and found, at the local builders merchants, a 12" drain grid that is almost a perfect fit for inside. Exactly the same as domestic - but bigger.

Just needs a little (1/4 - 1/2") grinding off the corners to fit and being cast iron should last.

I'm going to source some secondhand cast iron guttering downpipe as a flue.

Paul Humphries.

What are the inside of gas bottles like, do the have nay nasty residues in?

This one didn't, in fact it didn't even seem to be painted - I was a bit slack (couldn't be bothered trying to feed the grinder in there) so I just poked the welding torch in and hit it, and it welded straight away.

Al - the mesh is made from ~5mm thick "wire" designed to hold many kilos of cabling to the ceiling so I'm hoping it'll have a bit of resilience.

Or wrap some steel strip around the cylinder and weld it shut into a circle of diameter just larger than the cylinder diameter, then drill holes in it corresponding to your cylinder's air holes, and simply rotate the band to regulate airflow (holes aligned perfectly to holes not aligned at all).

Cheap! :)

Hope that makes sense without a piccy!

Al.

There are two old empty gas bottle at work here, and my garage is metal, so no worries about setting it alight...

How do I go about starting to chop the bottle. I don't want any explosions, so do I simply unscrew(?) the valve off the top and let some fresh air circulate?

I quite fancy the idea of 'free' workshop heating, but how long does it take to get going? I could easily stick a chimney through the roof!

There are two old empty gas bottle at work here, and my garage is metal, so no worries about setting it alight...

How do I go about starting to chop the bottle. I don't want any explosions, so do I simply unscrew(?) the valve off the top and let some fresh air circulate?

I quite fancy the idea of 'free' workshop heating, but how long does it take to get going? I could easily stick a chimney through the roof!

When i cut mine i filled it half with water

post-1882-1201871338_thumb.jpg

post-1882-1201871389_thumb.jpg

Rad behind heats water to wash one's handy's

:P TWIZZLE :P

The bottle I used had been sat in a hedge for quite some time with the valve open, I couldn't smell any gas and when I squirted some water in with the hose, the air that came out had no smell so I decided it was probably OK to hit it with the grinder.

I tried unscrewing the valve but it seemed to either be very firmly inserted or rusted in.

Other methods people use for things like this (welding fuel tanks, etc.) are to fill it with water/CO2/argoshield/exhaust fumes beforehand. Filling it with water and then emptying again should ensure any gas is displaced.

We had a bit of fun last night...

As part of an experiment into using old oil, we placed a baked-bean tin full of it onto the grid and, well, were forced to retire to a safe distance :lol:

First it runs rich:

Rich.jpg

Then it perks up a bit:

Stand_back.jpg

Gets a bit fruity:

Woof.jpg

And then does a nice line in afterburner impressions:

Foof.jpg

Unfortunately I think we need to develop a more controllable method for burning old oil as it's over a bit quick :( but it's fun while it lasts B)

Also Halfords "high temperature paint" seems not to like the high temperatures generated <_<

If you put a lump of 20mm plate where the griddle is then set the fire and let it get to embers you can drip feed oil on to the plate and it goes for hours and keps you nice and warm, cant have water in it tho.

Looking at the pics i think you ned to try those canteen size tins of baked beans full of oil :lol: should last longer anyway :P

......Unfortunately I think we need to develop a more controllable method for burning old oil as it's over a bit quick :( but it's fun while it lasts B)

As a lad I worked in a garage where we had an oil burner which I think was called a 'Whistling Jenny' which ran on old engine oil.

It ran that hot there were no fumes.

I will try and describe it starting from the bottom up.

A metal stand to keep the whole affair of the ground.

A dish, 3' in diameter and 8" deep with sides at a 45 degree angle.

On that another dish the same but upside down. The two are secured to each other with over centre latches.

From the centre of the top dish is the chimney shaped like a church organ pipe. About 4” diameter tapering out over 18” to a diameter of 8”. It was about 6’ long. Three stays supported the chimney.

The top dish had three air control valves and a trapdoor.

You started it by filling the bottom dish to an inch from the top. Wrap a bit of rag round a stick, dip it in the oil then light it. When well lit you posted it through the trapdoor and waited for it all to start warming up.

When running you removed the stick and closed the door. You could then control the heat output with the air vents. It is not burning the oil it is burning the fumes given off by the oils as it gets hot. The chimney would be cherry red for at least the first 3 feet.

Goes without saying that it gave a fair old whistle/roar when up to speed.

This took the chill off a 10 car workshop with the doors open so you may want to scale things down a bit.

Brings back memories of warming my arse on a winters Saturday morning.

Steve

Very entertaining John! :P

I used to have a diesel fired stove on me boat.

It had a spiral of pipe inside (presumably to pre-heat the incoming fuel) and DRIP FED the oil onto a baseplate (which had been lit with a match to start it). Very effective and controllable, but not quite setting the fuel tank on fire... ;)

I prefer yours. :blink:

Al.

can't experiment with heaters like these in my garage, due to the fact the house is built on top of it!!

Dont be such a jessie!

maybe we should test you BBQ with a pallet soaked in petrol,diesel,oil and parafin mixture? :ph34r:

Variation on the oil-drip method:

We tried pre-heating the oil, but it caused blockages in the pipe, so eventually we just had a big tank on a shelf, a gas tap and some brake pipe into the middle of the unit where it dripped onto the hot-plate (pre-heated at startup with an oily rag as per other post).

The only additional feature was a compressed air feed (again through brake pipe) that pointed circumferentially inside the chamber. When running normally this was just a trickle and kept things virtually smoke free and maybe six inches of cherry red. With the air and fuel turned right up it smoked like a b'strd and most of the six-foot exhaust stack was cherry. Oh and it sounded like a buzz-bomb :D

Oh, and when it really got going the smoke outside would catch and give a couple of feet of blue flame. Not only did this look cool, but it cut down on the smoke too. Can't remember how much oil it used but we were only a small concern and we never ran out...

We did think of using a wick, but never got around to it before we were chucked out moved to better premises :lol:

The oil left a solid but crumbly deposit that needed hoiking out each morning before lighting IIRC.

TwoSheds.

p.s. With this global warming I don't know why you are bothering with a heater - this week I have had to take the lining out of my tank-suit it's that warm! Now in my day we used to have real winters... Ice Road Truckers? Pah! Namby-pamby drama queens if you ask me... ;)