OT- The strangest "Handed" Piece of Equipment

Fatboy

Afternoon,

I have a feeling there are quite a few left handed folk on here ;) so its a simple question, what tools have you got that were obviously designed by a right handed person!

This has been prompted by a little piece of card attached to a new pair of "Oregon" chainsaw gloves I bought this morning. Now, although they look the same, the label advises that only the left hand glove is Class 0... So, I guess it assumes that everyone holds the trigger with their right hand. Not so, I am left handed. :( so my right hand is on the handle at the front of the saw. Makes the gloves a bit pointless!

When you actually think about it, the although the trigger is for either hand, the position of the bar is designed to be safest with right handed people.

You can't get left handed harnesses from Stihl for their strimmers either so cutting the grass is a bit tricky....

.... or is it just me? :unsure:

I'm left handed, there are some things you just have to live with.

- The handle for the pillar drill is on the wrong side, as are all the clamps.

- Jigsaws, routers etc can be fiddly.

- Grinders with the switch on the side are a PITA.

Of course, there are times when it's an advantage, i was helping my dad build some shuttering this weekend, he's right handed so between us we were comfortable able to swing a hammer into all the corners we needed to etc.

I am left handed and actually find it to be a significant advantage over right handed folk :)

I am fortunate that I actually do a lot of tasks as a right handed person would - using a chainsaw is one of them, batting at cricket is another!. I kick / throw left handed though (well better than my right).

I am absolutely hopeless with scissors in my left hand - even if the handles let you use them left handed! I blame it on being forced to do a lot of things right handed as a kid.

Ever tried firing a gun left handed and getting the cartridge ejected into your eye? Or how about a bolt action rifle? Talk about a palaver reloading!! :D

Overall being left handed is much more of a blessing than a handicap IMHO. I strongly believe that as we live in a right handed dominated world our weaker sides are stronger than right handed fellows. Just look at all those professional football players who can't kick with their left foot for toffee!

Wow, kind of ranted a bit there, I'll get off my soapbox now. :ph34r:

prince albert was left handed and was forced to write with his right hand, it is said that it led to his speech impediment

My brother is left handed and also was forced to write right handed.

Worse, as his younger brother who is right handed I was forced to write left handed at school!!

You lot think you got it tough , The guy I co drive for sat night only as has a left arm ,

Remarkable what he can do and do better than an able bodied person , Like driving a challenge truck , truly awsome .

Not in a nice shiny black jeep by anychance?

Tony

The whole chainsaw is designed right handed, and when held correctly provides greater seperation between you and the twirly bits. Any other stance make the use more dangerous.

Yep thats pretty much right. You are not supposed to use a chainsaw left handed.. the main reason for this If you experiance kickback when using a saw left handed there is a fair chance it will come back straight across your body/neck/head. If the saw is held the correct way then in the event if kickback the saw has a greater chance to fly up over the right shoulder away from the head/neck/chest. This is why there is only a legal requirement of saw protection in the left glove, as in the event of a chain snapping it should be the only hand coming into contact with the chain.

I'm left handed!

I was forced to write with my right hand - still have the scars on my knuckle from being hit with a yard rule to 'persuade' me to use my right hand! But, honestly, I don't bear a grudge against right handers - MR HENSON! ;)

My lathe is deffo designed for right handers - however, it's an advantage being left handed. I tend to operate the cross slide and saddle wheels with my left hand, meaning I'm standing well out of harms way when it comes to swarf and flying chuck keys! :o .

Si

Guest diesel_jim

I'm also a left hooker (and ginger.......)... is there any hope for me?

although i write with my left hand, i use things like screwdrivers and spanners with my right hand.

but i shoot left handed.

and use knife & fork like a wierd right handed freak, so possibly slightly ambidextrous? (or just wierd....)

Don't you find shooting left handed 'wrong'. If it's a bolt action then you have to reach right over, if it's an auto then the cases eject in your face. If it's a pistol then it's not to bad. Ahh can't be a pistol unless you are using an illegal firarm. Or you could be using a shotgun which I suppose isn't that bad

At work the both of us are left handed, all the jigs and fixtures we make are left handed. It amazes me the trouble right handers have in our workshop.

I'd like to see a left handed angle grinder, ie. one which rotates the oposite way, as we are the sparks burn my clothes.

Tape measures. Hold the tape reel in your right hand and with the numbers the correct way up you have to mark with your left hand. Not many things designed for left hand use but that is one.

Chris

Yeah, but if you hold it in your left hand, the numbers are upside down, I get this at work all the time & in a moving "online" situation, it doesn't help. A handed tape would be nice. :(

Steve

I am left-handed, and when I use a chain saw I support the saw with my left and operate the trigger with my right - is this the right-handed way? Feels right (!) to me, anyway.

I found that as I got older I became less and less left-handed. eg. I played a lot of darts left-handed when I was a teenager, then stopped playing for a couple of years. When I tried again, I couldn't hit the board left-handed :(

And I had to restring my guitar from left to right, and then more-or-less had to learn it all over again.

I fire rifles left-handed, and found the .303 to be a real menace with a right-handed bolt. On the other hand, I found the SLR easier for a left-hooker as the cocking handle is on the left. Ok, the ejected rounds whizz out in front of your nose, but that doesn't matter much.

I play table tennis with two bats as my forehand is rotten :)

Guest diesel_jim
Don't you find shooting left handed 'wrong'. If it's a bolt action then you have to reach right over, if it's an auto then the cases eject in your face. If it's a pistol then it's not to bad. Ahh can't be a pistol unless you are using an illegal firarm. Or you could be using a shotgun which I suppose isn't that bad

bolt actions are a bit of a pain as you've got to reach over to cock.

the old SLR wasn't too bad, but i only fired live/blanks on a handfull of occasions. the SA80 has a LH kit for it too.

i even bought my air arms air-rifle with a left hand stock on it.... very comfy (for me!)