Is this axle in the right place?

Got the Nov 07 LRO that it's in, pictures of the chassis show it riding on leaf springs & the rear chassis X-member is the correct Series3 style, also says the rear tub is a series part & series door with the S3 angled slidy window & says the black painted galvanisd chassis was already part of the original [pre-rebuild] S2A truck cab.

The replacement chassis won't necessarily disqualify it from its historical status (unless it has been modified from standard specification), but the lack of anything else Series (engine, gearbox, axles, suspension and steering) will do. :)

Obviously, the body doesn't come into it, or at least it shouldn't do (but sometimes it does when the DVLA misinterpret their own rules).

The odd position of the front axle is a result of fitting a defender wing to a series. The defender has the front axle further away from the bumper, so the wheelarch matches this. If you fit this then to a series, it doesnt look right.

It could be quite a nice truck, if he made it look like a series, rather than pretending it is a defender. I am off the opinion that upgrading to a flat front should really be called downgrading.

I am sure he must be colour blind as well....

Daan

The odd position of the front axle is a result of fitting a defender wing to a series. The defender has the front axle further away from the bumper, so the wheelarch matches this. If you fit this then to a series, it doesnt look right.

Daan

I'm sure mine has the original Series wings, but the axle still looks too far forward.

It could be quite a nice truck, if he made it look like a series, rather than pretending it is a defender. I am off the opinion that upgrading to a flat front should really be called downgrading.

Daan

I agree with you Daan, but for practical considerations rather than aesthetic ones. The set back grille panel of series 1's 2's and 2a's was designed to protect the headlamps and to provide a winch bay that did not compromise vehicle approach angle. Of course the advent of bullbars and moving the headlamps to the wings on later series nullified the protection factor.

Bill.

article in mag shows it on leaf [parabolic] springs, seems Daan has got the answer, Series wings & defender have the arch different.

From memory of the article that Ralph has mentioned in LRO it said these guys overcame the problem of fitting coiler axles to leaf springs by using TD5 hubs or steering arms or something, I always thought 90s were 90s were 90s in this respect. Can anyone shed light on what this could mean?

Interesting too about the wings, something else I will need to measure up b4 I buy any more bits for my project. :(

Steve.

I agree with you Daan, but for practical considerations rather than aesthetic ones. The set back grille panel of series 1's 2's and 2a's was designed to protect the headlamps and to provide a winch bay that did not compromise vehicle approach angle. Of course the advent of bullbars and moving the headlamps to the wings on later series nullified the protection factor.

Bill.

Still, a winch on a series looks proper, but on a defender, it looks like an afterthought. Retro rocks.

Daan

From memory of the article that Ralph has mentioned in LRO it said these guys overcame the problem of fitting coiler axles to leaf springs by using TD5 hubs or steering arms or something, I always thought 90s were 90s were 90s in this respect. Can anyone shed light on what this could mean?

TD5's have a cranked steering bar I think. I overcame the problem by fitting portals :lol:

Series with a 90 front end, but the front wheels are in the right place in relation to the wheel arches. Has it got Series outer front wings or something?

It looks like it, yes. 90s have a different shaped arch, that one just has a later bonnet and front panel.

Chris