Strongest spade style ground anchor ?

MogLite

MogLite is gonna need a ground anchor.

Its gonna have to be strong with a H14 PTO on the front.

I've got a "TonkGripper" on the Ibex, its fine, but I'd rather try and plan for a non-folding anchor if at all possible.

Something like the Devon anchor looks the part - any other options/recommendations ?

Are you building it yourself i.e. looking for something to copy and modify, or looking for an off the shelf one?

One of the things I want to do (besides having a D6 sized blade on it) is modify my KG so it can easily be pulled out by the winch. A big drawback at the moment is that if you dig it into the ground and it goes right in (i.e. whole of spade below ground) it is a pig of a thing to get out if you then can't shift the vehicle - if the anchor just pulls along under the ground which it often does in soft peat. I reckon something that folds (i.e. KG/Pullpal design) could have the geometry modified so if you disengaged the lower arm it pulls round and rotates the spade far enough (past the vertical) to allow you to pull it back out with the winch, but in the same direction, i.e. you haven't got to get round the back of the anchor with the winch (which is kinda difficult if you are still stuck)

I have been thinking it was time to do a "Definitive ground anchor thread" that everybody can post their ideas on then can later be put in the tech archive, but I don't want to hijack yours :)

Oops

got carried away and entirely missed what I was leading up to which was: going for a solid anchor would be stronger I am sure, but (I think) would rule out the possibility of doing what I suggested above. The KG/TG folding design is just so neat :)

You need to see wots being built right now in the workshop...............

SHDKG (Super Heavy Duty KittyGrippers) :D 5mm spade, and hugely re-inforced spines and top linkages....

...These are built to BS666-F-SCL-(almost)-proof standards.... :P

I'll do some pics of progress (Mr Warnes one) and post after the weekend !

Nige

Edited by Hybrid_From_Hell

...These are built to BS666-F-SCL-(almost)-proof standards....

Do I get a free sample to test that claim?

Quality control 'n' all that ... essential if one is going to have one's name on something, y'know :D

No OK I thought not :ph34r:

Looking forward to seeing photos anyway :)

Edited to say ... to quote somebody not very long ago ... "5mm is hardly even a 'repair thickness'" :lol:

I didn't have a coat, but thanks for asking :ph34r:

You need to see wots being built right now in the workshop...............

SHDKG (Super Heavy Duty KittyGrippers) :D 5mm spade, and hugely re-inforced spines and top linkages....

...These are built to BS666-F-SCL-(almost)-proof standards.... :P

I'll do some pics of progress (Mr Warnes one) and post after the weekend !

Nige

Drums fingers on desk

Its after the weekend - I wanna see what you are up to :D

Anyone got any comments on the off the shelf anchors out there ?

Andy,

Gwyn Lewis used to make to a fantastic Anchor that after you finished using you pulled the handle up, continue to winch and the anchor would winch clean out without the need to get behind the anchor point....

But

I am not sure if he still makes it :(

Heres his number 01938 810298

Then of cousre there is the D44, nice but you have to manually retreive and it is very big.

However we make enlarged extra heads for it for use in bog and sand and these have proofed very successful.

Jim :)

However we make enlarged extra heads for it for use in bog and sand and these have proofed very successful.

Jim

How big a head do you make?

just wondering what the success rate was in something like this and how big you found it needed to be? (Future requirements at this end in mind!!!)