What Idiot Designed this?

Brookers

Took the arch liner out of the o/s front wing of my RR yesterday to reveal corrosion at every point where the plastic liner clips to metal, not a surprise, but who thought that adding yet another trap for dirt was a good idea when the inner wings are a known weak spot on range rovers?

Got me thinking, what have you found that made you shake your head then wish physicall violence on the designer :ph34r:

Land Rovers - designed by idiots, built by morons, driven by people who ought to know better.

Every time I set out to repair anything on mine I end up having to fix at least 1 other thing because of bad design/rubbish materials/cheap parts (delete as appropriate).

Paddy

Land Rovers - designed by idiots, built by morons, driven by people who ought to know better.

Every time I set out to repair anything on mine I end up having to fix at least 1 other thing because of bad design/rubbish materials/cheap parts (delete as appropriate).

Paddy

Nothing to do with the people that built it then Paddy ?

MO

I think it's more often than not the accountants at fault: "This part is pretty reliable, let's see if we can make it cheaper!" <_<

Prime example: Plastic head dowels on the K-series, must save 1p per engine :rolleyes: and I can't believe any actual engineer would think it's a good idea.

I've got a good one: Ford can galvanise a complete Focus bodyshell but Land Rover can't galvanise a chassis or bulkhead

Oh and bolting steel and aluminium together so they eat each other, very smooth :rolleyes:

Do they really galvanise the shell FF or do they make it out of zintec and call it galvanised ?

Mo

Well, I was just curious since the vans I used to work on were all zintec. I would imagine that Land Rover are using zintec on the front doors and the rear door and probably on the bulkhead now that it's been reworked for the 07 model. I can't really imagine any manufacturer not using zintec on exterior sheet assemblies in this day and age.

They certainly wouldn't use it on the chassis because of the amount of co2 welding would negate the protection and would cause the obvious health hazards involved in co2 welding zinc plating.

I personally think defenders are bloody expensive enough new without adding the cost of galvanising the chassis to the vehicle cost but I think it would be good if it were on the options list for those who were planning long term ownership.

Mo

I personally think defenders are bloody expensive enough new without adding the cost of galvanising the chassis to the vehicle cost but I think it would be good if it were on the options list for those who were planning long term ownership.

Mo

I would pay an extra £1000+ as option for a galvanized chassis - and I'm sure in years to come it would retain extra resale value.

It's not just limited to landys - Fiats are guff of the highest order. I had a Fiat Tipo, the plastic dash was so badly finished the edge of the plastic would skin the edge of a finger every time you used the bonnet release catch.... each time it did it I would have cheerfully run over the t*****r that was responsible for it.

Adrian

The only redeming feature was the loverly 2 liter 16V engine and the fantastic exhaust note. However they made an arse of that as well as the exhaust was only available from Fiat as the 2 liter was only fitted to ~ 500 cars. In this time they managed to fit 3 different non interchangable exhausts. Mine was one of the ones that used the 2nd version. According to the Fiat dealer only fitted to 50 cars - 'We can get it specialy made in italy sir' was the offer!