which propshaft UJ do i go for??

dougstar

hi guys,

i have just caught in the nick of time a worn out UJ on the front prop on my disco,

now before anyone says i have greased these up very regulary since the last faliure led to me wrecking the complete shaft :o however since i have used it a lot less lately off road in my in-experenice has led to me missing this starting to become worn :(

anyhoo it's my own stupid fault but i,m after the best most hardwaring UJ's to refurb the prop with.do i go with....

GKN???

HARDY SPLICER???

standard Land Rover ones???

i seem to be spoilt for choice on the web at very varieying prices and want to put my hard earned to the best use <_<

and there may also be makes that i have not found yet!!

hope know you people can help.

thanks in advance for your input.

Dougie

I always use GKN ..................... they are just under £10 trade (IIRC £9.85) .............. interestingly the wider one comes with long nipples as std, the short one has a std nipple but is easier to grease with the longer nipple, but replace it with the shorter nipple after greasing .......... I enjoying typing that sentence :rolleyes:

:)

Ian

Hi Dougstar,

As I think someone already mentioned the manufacturers do different grades of joints & I think it is to do with the seals on the cups more than anything. My advice would be to spend as much as you can on GKN & get the one's with the metal seals, if you want some advice & someone who can supply the correct one's Gwyn Lewis is an excellent person to talk to! (I have no association with or make any money out of that statement etc) Website here.

P.S. Any piccies for me yet (No rush just thought I'd ask while I was here)?

Pete

Whatever you do, don't buy the cheese ones from Paddocks, the 4 for the price of 3 ones. If you off road their life is extrodinarily short !

Mo

I second this

Fitted none branded ones on a nice reasonably dry day.

3 months of easy use with little milage.

Repaced with hardy's on a cold wet and windy day.