Enlarging holes

smo

I want to fit some NAS lights to the 90, however as its a 200Tdi i need to enlarge the holes for the lights from approx 32mm to 42mm - obviously hole saws are out the question as there is nothing to centre it on - is it possible to get a cone drill or stepped drill that big??

I want to fit some NAS lights to the 90, however as its a 200Tdi i need to enlarge the holes for the lights from approx 32mm to 42mm - obviously hole saws are out the question as there is nothing to centre it on - is it possible to get a cone drill or stepped drill that big??

I used a half round file to enlarge the holes when i fitted mine. For the extra fog & reversing light I used a hole saw. Stick a bit of paint on the bare metal when you've done it.

bolt/clamp/glue a sheet of MDF infornt and behind the hole, get it lined up right and drill through the lot with a hole saw. Almost guaranteed to give you off set holes and a sore head. But probably the way i'd end up doing the job

edit

just had a look at the q-max punches;

q-max.jpg

thats an absolutely cracking device!

There is a special tool for this purpose, it is an arbor that can hold 2 holesaws, one size of the old hole, one size for the bigger hole, the smaller size acts as a guide.

Here:

http://www.starrett.co.uk/products/sawblad...ole-saws/Page6/

At the bottom of the page, the 'oops' specification. No picture unfortunately.

I haven't got one myself, but have seen them used. Alternatively, you can use 2 discs that were cut out by the different sizes holesaw, bolt them together with a 1/4" bolt and nut, and use this as a guide for the holesaw, without the arbor drill. This is my cheaper, get out of trouble shortcut.

Daan

I've got one of those Starrett arbors, they're great for enlarging holes on the same centre, but for fitting NAS lamps you need to move the centre of the new larger hole.

I used the bit of scrap wood technique to find the new centre for the Starrett cutter.

My mate did his by fitting the NAS lamp plinth and using the hole in it's centre to guide the Starrett cutter.

Paul.