Request for the mods

SteveG

Can we please add the word awesome to the swear word list?? Although not a swear word it's use on forum is americanising it! ;);)

Can we please use the auto replacement thingy to substitute it with 'excellent' or 'brilliant'

BTW - If anyone else has some other particularly vulgar words from the ex-colonies they wish to see eradicated from the forum, please feel free to post up too.

Thanks

Colonel Blimp :P

I doubt it. Some expressions that are used randomly and mostly out of context are getting more common here.

Text speak is something that is getting used a lot - mostly by new members, and some of it is so bad that it can't be understood at all by some of us. Bad spelling/not using a spell checker is another one too. Keeping the website away from the toilet bowl is getting harder all the time :angry:

The forum charter (that no-one can be bothered to read) will be updated to ban text speak, etc

People that want to start threads about the weather/ their shirt size/ other total carp, should be reminded that this website is a Tech-based Land Rover site. There are other sites where utter carp can be posted freely.

If you're newbie here, then that's fine and welcome, but bear in mind why this site is here and the posted rules that you must follow in order to be a member of it. We occasionally clamp down on off-topic threads - especially when they become the major percentage of the threads on any given forum. People generally complain - well that's tough, this isn't LRA/LRE/LRM/LRO/Mudclub/ORRP/etc. Best everyone that hasn't - read the forum rules, it saves the Admin/Mods from a lot of work, and people getting annoyed.

There are a few individuals that are on permanent Mod approval because of the rubbish they almost continually post - even after being politely asked to behave by a Moderator. Having to check every one is unnecessary in my opinion and I personally think that these people should be given two chances and then banned.

As always - any changes will be announced first and comments invited where necessary.

Les.

I quite like 'truck', especially for Defenders. Even my wife knows it isn't a 'car', so she says "are we going in the Landy or the car'. But sometimes when writing it is nice to ring the changes and have another word that is usable. 'Rig' I always thought was an artic, but that is maybe just me.

Jeep owners don't have a problem, they can say "my Jeep rolled off a cliff" no problem. But what about the poor owners of, for example, a Santa Fe? Is it a car, is it a plane, is it a town, is it Superman? And I saw a Plastic shiny rice-burner the other day which I think was called a 'Rectum'. Now the owner of that really has a problem :)

Hmmm. I'm all for the Forum keeping to topic and not being let to drop to gutter level chat, but some of the suggestions listed above for autocorrect are a bit over the top. Its nice to use different terms and expressions to describe different events. I would use "awsome" in certain areas where I would use "excellent" in others. Thats just one example but surly fredom should be given to the way we express ourselves.

Also spelling. I cant spell if my life depended on it but being a Telecommunications engineer with skill and experience giving me contracts such as Iraq Country Telecoms manager for a security company and other simmilar apointments I feel very discriminated against just becuase of my lack of ability of spelling . Are you seriously considering that bad spelling may be not allowed on the forum. I dont feel that I should have to put all my text though a spell checker (which I do for words that I really have no idea how to spell) when I just want to interact quickly and smoothly gaining knowledge and passing on my knowlege to others.

Please keep the forum a free place to chat and not go crazy with some of the suggested ideas.

:-)

I cant spell if my life depended on it... ...Are you seriously considering that bad spelling may be not allowed on the forum. I don't feel that I should have to put all my text though a spell checker

There is a free internet browser called Firefox which has an inbuilt spell checker. It keeps me on the straght and naarow. :P;)

Chris

Guest diesel_jim
There is a free internet browser called Firefox which has an inbuilt spell checker. It keeps me on the straght and naarow. :P;)

Chris

awesome site dude m8.......

hat/coat/door.... :lol:

But what about the poor owners of, for example, a Santa Fe? Is it a car, is it a plane, is it a town, is it Superman?

No it is a steaming pile of rabbit droppings :)

I personally don't like "Landy" either and I certainly do not own either a Landy or a Disco :rtfm: I might however have a couple of Rovers which is acceptable...

Basically if somebody is starting to talk like a surfer, then they would probably fit in better elsewhere and I could think of a website that has degenerated to a suitable level if anybody needs pointing in the right direction :)

Scotian. There is a LR site which will welcome you with open arms. I don't think that this is the place for you. You want chat, this is the wrong place.

Wow - this is all getting very sharp very quickly - to the degree that I hardly dare post: "aN LR site..." ;)

I thought that Scotian's post was reasonably made and didn't really justify the response above.

Now - Am I going to be banned/flamed for saying that?

Hope not...

Scotian. There is a LR site which will welcome you with open arms. I don't think that this is the place for you. You want chat, this is the wrong place.

Very out of order I think, considering the amount of non chat technical advice I have given and received in my short time here, and who said anything about chat? I was talking about the spelling and the words issue.

Oh and thanks for the support twosheds :-) Maybe we will both get banned/flamed :o

I started off thinking the whole tread was a joke or ment in jest but then people started talking seriously about having some of the suggestions implemented. What exactly is likely to be carried out regarding auto correcting of certain words and the like?

Look Scotian, don't leave us. We are ok with bad spelling, but not txtspk stuff. But you can use a spell checker, so why not do so? If you want to be remembered or even revered in this forum, that is all the forums of LR4x4, you should keep within the subject matter of each forum. Unfortunately this forum does not yet have a rubbish/off topic/Open forum. Other web sites do, so you could go there for that if you wish and post sensible stuff here.

Our main focus here is Technical talk about Land Rovers.