Mixing ATs and MTs on the same axle

pugwash

Currently running 285/76r16 BFG MTs on the truck but dont have a spare. i do have 2 285/75R16 BFG ATs in the garage at home. As they are both the same size is their any reason why i shouldn't carry the ATs as a spare and run an MT and an AT on the same axle if i have to?

Currently running 285/76r16 BFG MTs on the truck but dont have a spare. i do have 2 285/75R16 BFG ATs in the garage at home. As they are both the same size is their any reason why i shouldn't carry the ATs as a spare and run an MT and an AT on the same axle if i have to?

I thought that the /76 versus the /75 referred to the sidewall size as a percentage of the tyre width - which means the AT's are slightly smaller than the MTs in overall diameter - wouldnt this (if i'm right) cause diff windup if used on the same axle?

i'm sure somebody will be along who can tell me i'm wrong or right !

jerry

I thought that the /76 versus the /75 referred to the sidewall size as a percentage of the tyre width - which means the AT's are slightly smaller than the MTs in overall diameter - wouldnt this (if i'm right) cause diff windup if used on the same axle?

i'm sure somebody will be along who can tell me i'm wrong or right !

jerry

By a quick calculation:

285/76R16MT = 839.6mm diameter and 2637.7mm circumference

285/75R16AT = 833.9mm diameter and 2619.8mm circumference

The MT turns 99.3 times for each 100 times the AT turns.

E&OE as I didn't sleep last night and I am knackered.

When making tyres, the side wall height and tyre width have to be within 10% tolerence to qulifie for the size/aspect ratio rating on the side wall. Different makes of tyre - even though the size on the side wall is the same may have a different rolling circumference and therefor if fitted to the same axel cause the diff to work harder. Tyres from the samm manufacturer with a different tread pattern, but marked as being the same size may also give the same problems. Then you will have differing levels of grip from the two tyres. As a limp home carfully option you should be OK, but wouldn't recommend it long term.

I suspect /76 is a typo and they are actually the same size, I have never heard of a /76 anything! Also the words "As they are both the same size" sort of gave it away :)

No problem for using as a spare IMHO, just be careful stopping in a hurry in the wet. AFAIK there is no MOT regulation about tyres all having to be the same tread pattern.

I;ve been using my spare tyre for the past few thousand miles due to location and not being able to afford to get Colway MTs over here. on 3 corners I've got Colway MT 265/75s and on the rear right i;ve got a Colway MT 265/70 that is also very worn compared to the opposit tyre. I havent noticed any difference in handeling but there is now alot of play in my drive train. This could be from normal wear for the type of driving I'm doing or maybe now from reading this its caused by the tyre size difference...

I've got a pair of part worn 265/75 MT tyres of inknown make on their way through a local back streen tyre place for 200 lei (about 40 quid) so hopefully this will stop any more damage.

They are both 285/75- apologies for typos.

i presumed from the tire size that they would be ok, but i wondered if such different rates of traction could create issues of some sort- doesn't seem likely though.

Toyo is 6 stud yes, just making sure that i have relevant spares!