who say's ?

DefcoL

Hi,

have started to look at the idea of hydraulic winch to replace rear tmax sh*t...

wanted to fit PTO to transfer box ( better power than power steer pump ? ) but was told yesterday by a

winch supplier that it is not possible to fit to auto box sad.gif

is that right ? :wacko:

yeh I know that the Xbrake might be an issue but surely as the drive is from the

Tbox I don't (as yet) see the issue.

Please enlighten me

was told yesterday by a winch supplier that it is not possible to fit to auto box sad.gif

is that right ? :wacko:

Whether there is a PTO output depends on which transfer box you are using with the auto:

Borg Warner - no

LT230 - yes

Easy way to tell is the LT230 has the diff lock on the transfer lever. Borg Warner has a viscous coupling, so no diff lock.

You can fit a PTO pump to your transfer box. The issue is that there is bodywork in the way. The rear passanger footwell dips down behind the transfer box where the PTO would live.

It may be that yours is modified enough already that this will not be an issue. If you are modifying the bodywork to fit, it will then fit a defender/pto X-Brake bracket as well (which we can sort out).

Si

yeh I know that the Xbrake might be an issue

Forgive the hijack,but is there a problem of compatibility between X brake,and pto adapter?

I have a standard lt230/lt77 with an X brake,and am about to fit a Superwinch hydraulic pto adapter.Is there a problem?

Originally there were two versions of the X-Brake, one to fit PTO fitted vehicles. The reason there were two was the PTO version did not fit Td5's.

After a bit of tweaking, it fitted Td5 and PTO's, so the two were merged. Subsequently we had so many emails from people saying they wanted the PTO version (not realising the regular version would fit) that I reinstated the page for the separate version.

The way to tell is: Have a look at where the caliper sits. If it is at 12 O'Clock looking from the back of the truck then you have the non PTO model. If it's at 1 O'Clock, it will fit a PTO. If you need the other one, give me a ring and it will not cost you a lot.

Si

I seem to remember that there was some sort of issue with driving PTO pumps form an auto box ................. something to with the Xfer box being in neutral and the auto box seeing no load and not driving the pump adequately ................ I didn't pay much attention at the time, but I do remember it was raised ... :unsure:

Ian

Originally there were two versions of the X-Brake, one to fit PTO fitted vehicles. The reason there were two was the PTO version did not fit Td5's.

After a bit of tweaking, it fitted Td5 and PTO's, so the two were merged. Subsequently we had so many emails from people saying they wanted the PTO version (not realising the regular version would fit) that I reinstated the page for the separate version.

The way to tell is: Have a look at where the caliper sits. If it is at 12 O'Clock looking from the back of the truck then you have the non PTO model. If it's at 1 O'Clock, it will fit a PTO. If you need the other one, give me a ring and it will not cost you a lot.

Si

Oh..... Mine is 21.30
something to with the Xfer box being in neutral and the auto box seeing no load and not driving the pump adequately
can anyone expand on this?

photo of caliper @ 21.30 partially blocking where the pto would fit

post-892-1207560175_thumb.jpg

Lawrence, you have the discovery version, rotated to that position as the floor stops the caliper being in the same position as on a defender. On your disco however, that bit of floor might not be there anymore!

So dose it mean that Auto box = auto driver assist? or can one achieve pto without wheel drive (ie t/box in N) ?

Alternatively is there a pto pump available to fit where the AC pump would fit and what power difference (drop) from t/box pto?

Yes you can (and I think most normally do) use transfer box in N whilst running the PTO as you need to be in 4th (1:1 drive) to drive the PTO at a useful speed (1500-3000rpm I believe is normal for most pumps) which would make the wheels spin rather too fast for drive assist.

A PTO pump that goes where the AC compressor would go is just a pump - the PTO is the bit that Takes Power Off from the gearbox to a pump or whatever else. I doubt you'd see any power drop, even idling the engine makes way more power than even a really chunky pump would need. The only issue is delivering it, vee-belts can only handle so much.

re pto yes I wasn't thinking........

I doubt you'd see any power drop, even idling the engine makes way more power than even a really chunky pump would need. The only issue is delivering it, vee-belts can only handle so much.

Any suggestions re what pump and belt? Also as I'm thinking M/Maker does anyone know what pull (lbs) & line speed they have?

or advise on an alternative

although cost is an issue on this, I like the idea of having both electric and hydraulic winches. the question will be which winch will winch

best at front or back 8274-50 vs MM

I seem to remember that there was some sort of issue with driving PTO pumps form an auto box ................. something to with the Xfer box being in neutral and the auto box seeing no load and not driving the pump adequately ................ I didn't pay much attention at the time, but I do remember it was raised ... :unsure:

Ian

I disagree with the notion that there would be no load on the auto box while driving a pto pump.

Hydraulic Power = Pressure times Flow