Tougher and stickier than 'S**t on a blanket' required

Hmmm

I need to stick a 90 wheel arch to the ali surface.

Only part of the arch has a "return" the centre part is trimmed flush (as is the ali panel) to allow suspension flex.

I therefore really need to "Stick" the 90 arch on, I have tried silicon, some black go I was told "Was the Biz" :) er...no it wasn't :(

I want it "Bonded" on sowell, that a small 'atomic device' or a very very long session with a Stanley Knife is required to 'remove it' .....

so

Suggestions please ?

And where to get it

Nige

Hi Nige

I guess silicon is more of a sealer than adhesive.

Have you looked at "grab adhesives" ?

I have used a product called Laybond Gripfill from screwfix.com around the house and its basically a combined filler/glue. Waterproof etc, smells a bit like evo-stick and is permanent once it sets.

Screwfix is a useful resource to see whats out there.

epoxy not do the job? clean both the surfaces until the ali has no oxde on it and bond them with epoxy- if they stick aircraft wings on with the stuff then it must be strong enough.

Altertnatively go to your local builders marchants and buy smoe non water based gripfill. its the proper version of carp like "no more nails" and really properly sticks- its what i use to stick sheets of 8 x 4 stainlees steel sheets to the wall.

:)

2 pack bonder

Name make where I can I buy it :)

Nige

Double bubble ..

2 pack bonder dries solid ... Thus doesn't flex which isn't good either.

Also doesn't like water all that much. Will work for a couple of weeks, but not a long term solution.

Stainless allen head bolts. At least it will work.

Double bubble ..

Also doesn't like water all that much. Will work for a couple of weeks, but not a long term solution.

I have recently tried some of this FLEX-EPOXY EXTRA STRONG GLUE WELD PLASTIC - eBay Item 360040064535 but not in the situation you describe. It does seem to stick like normal Araldite, but is flexible - it's holding my Honda fairing together at the mo... Might work?

I presume you have tried Tiger-Bond or Sikaflex?

Tiger seal! Similar to sikaflex just as claggy! I work in the HGV trade you can repair owt with the stuff! Got me out of a few scrapes on breakdowns at the side of the road just be warned once its stuck thats it dont get it on yer hands either it will stain em, for a smooth finish apply mothers/wifes/parteners best rubber marigold to hand spray a bit of brake cleaner on it n run ya finger over the top job sorted ;)

Search the net for 'Plexus' (www.itwplexus.com) adhesives. They do an adhesive specifically for bonding plastics to aluminium. They are mostly Methacrylate based and cure flexible. Most car manufacturers use their products for gluing together bumpers and stuff (I think the Lotus Elise chassis is glued together with Plexus).

If you can get hold of the stuff it makes most epoxies and Sikaflex look like they're for gluing sparkles to birthday cards.

Search the net for 'Plexus' (www.itwplexus.com) adhesives. They do an adhesive specifically for bonding plastics to aluminium. They are mostly Methacrylate based and cure flexible. Most car manufacturers use their products for gluing together bumpers and stuff (I think the Lotus Elise chassis is glued together with Plexus).

If you can get hold of the stuff it makes most epoxies and Sikaflex look like they're for gluing sparkles to birthday cards.

these maybe?

Double bubble ..

2 pack bonder as used by leading car manufacturers like Audi etc for bonding aluminum bodies is a flexible bonder that is stronger than the material that it bonds.

sikaflex is not anywhere near as tough ..................

Nige......................I will get a product name for you, but I know that its about £60 a throw.................

:)

Ian

Definately Sikaflex but you really need a sika gun to put it on neatly. Also you can get a primer for most substances. we use it at work for everything from expansion gaps in concrete rafts to sticking number plates to trailers! It sticks like hell, be warned get it on your skin and nothing short of petrol gets it off!!