Timing Belt and Oil Seal

Hey,

What make of timing belt would you recommend using for a 200tdi?

When I opened up the timing case it was full of engine oil coming along the crankshaft. I took off the timing case and found the oil was coming from the camshaft dripping down behind the timing case but then coming out via the crankshaft. Does the camshaft oil seal need replacing or is this the normal route for oil from the camshaft? I realise the crankshaft seal in the case needs replacing to stop oil getting into the case but not sure whether this also indicates a problem with the crankshaft seals.

Pete

Are the cam and crank seals both mounted in the timing case housing or doI need to dissemble more on the engine side? Also the outer keyway is badly distorted- any bright ideas? Are the seals from Paddocks okay or wherelse should I get them from?

Pete

There are three seals - The outer cover seal, which is actually called a dust seal, then the crankshaft front oil seal, which is behind the sprocket that the timing belt runs on. The camshaft oil seal is behind the camshaft timing belt sprocket. I don't change the camshaft oil seal unless it's leaking. The cam and crank seals are in the housing and changing them only requires removal of the sprockets. The keyway you refer to - is it the crankshaft woodruff keyway? If the damage is slight, then a new woodruff key and torque seal used on assembly should cure the problem. If the keyway is badly damaged, then repair the crank, replace the crank, or bodge it with Chemical metal, Araldite, or similar.

Les.

If you are taking off the camshaft sprocket there is a specific way of doing it in the WSM, you really need to follow it as otherwise it will screw the timing. I haven't done this myself, but I noted the issue when I was doing the timing belt some weeks back.

when you take the bolt and washer securing the camshaft sprocket check that you have an o-ring under the washer...

Regarding the keyway as Les said, if its just slightly damaged leave it, I had mine fixed...but only because the crank was already out!

If you are taking off the camshaft sprocket there is a specific way of doing it in the WSM, you really need to follow it as otherwise it will screw the timing. I haven't done this myself, but I noted the issue when I was doing the timing belt some weeks back.

You sure?...cause in that case I'm in trouble! :( But as far as I know the sprocket has got a keyway, you can only fix it in one position..

Hmmmm.... the crank has a keyway, so that is easy, looking in WSM the camshaft also appears keyed, it's a bit unclear, but perhaps it was the injection pump that has the issue about the alining of the timing marks that need to be taken care of.

it may have been a HBOL statement too...

Both Crank & cam shafts have woodruff keyways to locate/time them, the injection pump gear has 3 bolts & these have to be released/retightened during the pump timing process.

so that would be my problem then... bought the pump without a sprocket and hub... guess will have a hardtime to get the clockwork right... anyway that stage is still lightyears away!

Ok great, just hope that the guy at diesel shop fixed the hub properly on the pump!.......and that reminds me I have to call the guy to check he finished calibrating the injectors and servicing the pump...I think 3 months have passed since I took them to his shop!!! thanks for reminding me! ;)

There are three seals - The outer cover seal, which is actually called a dust seal, then the crankshaft front oil seal, which is behind the sprocket that the timing belt runs on. The camshaft oil seal is behind the camshaft timing belt sprocket. I don't change the camshaft oil seal unless it's leaking. The cam and crank seals are in the housing and changing them only requires removal of the sprockets. The keyway you refer to - is it the crankshaft woodruff keyway? If the damage is slight, then a new woodruff key and torque seal used on assembly should cure the problem. If the keyway is badly damaged, then repair the crank, replace the crank, or bodge it with Chemical metal, Araldite, or similar.

Les.

Les sorry to jump in on the Q's but what do you use to pull/prise off the crank shaft gear /pully?

Cheers Ted

I bought a QH one, is that good or maybe its better to use other brands? on the box there was written OE part but then anyone can write what he wants!

as for your question ted, I thing that the pulley and damper will need some force to come out depending on the state of the crank, mine was corroded and the keyway not perfect, so I had to hammer lever it out, but the smaller crank sprocket which sits behind the timing cover was easy to take out, just levered it out with a screwdriver

Les sorry to jump in on the Q's but what do you use to pull/prise off the crank shaft gear /pully?

I'd be careful about levering the sprockets off the timing chest, it's not the strongest.

To remove the sprocket, you'll see 2 threaded holes in it.

Drill an iron bar with two holes in the same location

Run 2 bolts through the bar and into the sprocket. Place a suitably sized socket between the bar and the crank nose.

Tighten each bolt evenly and this'll pull the sprocket off the crank.

Crank pulley puller - A thick bar with 2 x 9mm holes drilled through 75mm centre to centre and 2 x M8 bolts. The crank bolt is undone a few turns at a time and the socket is just there to locate the bar on a flat surface. A smaller tool with 7mm holes and 6mm bolts to pull the sprocket off.

med_gallery_2_301_293447.jpg

Typical crank nose once the pulley is off.

med_gallery_2_301_1060388.jpg

Les.

Crank pulley puller - A thick bar with 2 x 9mm holes drilled through 75mm centre to centre and 2 x M8 bolts. The crank bolt is undone a few turns at a time and the socket is just there to locate the bar on a flat surface. A smaller tool with 7mm holes and 6mm bolts to pull the sprocket off.

med_gallery_2_301_293447.jpg

Typical crank nose once the pulley is off.

med_gallery_2_301_1060388.jpg

Les.

Thanks for that lads ;)

what size bolts ( length) and how do you get the pully & crank back on when your putting it all back together?

I don't actually know the length of the bolts, but you need three different lengths as the bolt thread will push off/damage the dust shield behind the pulley. The bolts are M8 coarse thread and hi-tensile. There's never a problem putting the sprocket and pulley back on. You clean all the rust off the crank nose and they just slide back on like a greased whippet up a drainpipe :)

Les.