I have lost drive after a weird squealing sound

I have had a funny grating sound coming from what appears to be the rear. I thought it would be a binding pad or something in the brakes.

My vehicle is going in for works on Tuesday, so I thought I'd have it looked at then.

However, last night coming home, I developed a funny sort of grating/clonking sound, which appeared to come from the front. (its so hard to tell where sounds come from exactly!)

It sounded like somebody was rattling a bag of spanners. It was a constant sound that stopped entirely as I was drawing to a stop.

Anyway, all of a sudden, one wheel locked up & I ended up skidding right across a road. I am OK and no damage was done, but I was a bit surprised & shaken at how suddenly it happened.

I tried moving off, and it sounded like there was something caught somewhere (or seized?)

It turned out I could drive in Low Range, which I did all the way home.

Just took it round the block this morning, and everything was fine for a few hundred metres (in High range) then I lost drive & selected Low & all was OK again.

What do you think has happened?

My first thought was that perhaps a wheel bearing or brakes. Now I am thinking something in the transfer box maybe?

Martin

Not a half shaft then? Could throw you across the road but low range wouldn't help unless you were locking the centre diff. If centre diff was stuck in the locked position it may explain the earlier noises and the shalft being broken.

I have had a funny grating sound coming from what appears to be the rear. I thought it would be a binding pad or something in the brakes.

My vehicle is going in for works on Tuesday, so I thought I'd have it looked at then.

However, last night coming home, I developed a funny sort of grating/clonking sound, which appeared to come from the front. (its so hard to tell where sounds come from exactly!)

It sounded like somebody was rattling a bag of spanners. It was a constant sound that stopped entirely as I was drawing to a stop.

Anyway, all of a sudden, one wheel locked up & I ended up skidding right across a road. I am OK and no damage was done, but I was a bit surprised & shaken at how suddenly it happened.

I tried moving off, and it sounded like there was something caught somewhere (or seized?)

It turned out I could drive in Low Range, which I did all the way home.

Just took it round the block this morning, and everything was fine for a few hundred metres (in High range) then I lost drive & selected Low & all was OK again.

What do you think has happened?

My first thought was that perhaps a wheel bearing or brakes. Now I am thinking something in the transfer box maybe?

Martin

CV, axle or drive member. Since the steering locked up, it is most probably a CV. They are not difficult to change.

No, I didn't have to lock centre diff, just selected Low & was off.

OK, if you are sure about this, then please disregard my post above....

(If it was either a CV, axle or drive member, you would have to lock the center differential to get the truck moving - at least with standard open diffs)

I rang my garage today and described exactly what happened (a bit clearer than it is than writing it!) and they said it was almost certainly a wheel bearing.

Is it a big job to replace a bearing?

The vehicle is going in for works & service anyway (new Allisport intercooler & Superpro bushes - plus a couple of other bits.) A new bearing wouldn't jack up the price a whole lot would it?

I had a similar problem with a wheel bearing and it went more like... kting ktong kting ktong.... Whenever it reached the broken part of the little metal pellet it fell in.. Was there any shakey movement when you drove off?.... I will tip the wheel bearing... There are better suggestions than this.. Hope you solve it!!

Good Luck <_<

If it seized, then let you drive in low range only (note, not difflock ) then i'd go with wheel bearing too, as exactly the same happened to me.

In my case the bearing had completely self destructed and it took a hydraulic puller to get the hub off.

My first thought was wheel bearing - it happened to me about 6 weeks ago. You will need to budget for a new stub axle too and with bearings, seals and gaskets, about an hour to two hours labour - probably one hour, it is not a long job as long as everything is straight forward.

Chris

Just got the old boy back today......ended up being what can only be described as a catastrophic bearing failure!! :o

Rear drivers side had totally disintegrated & welded itself to the stub axle, and rear passenger side was looking pretty ropey too.

Yeah, this is the second time in my driving career that a bearing has collapsed.....never seems to happen when your doing 2 mph in a Tesco car park does it?!

If it had been a couple of hours earlier (it was late at night), it could have been a lot worse for me this time round. It happened on a slight bend, and if anyone was coming toward me, could have been a really bad head on collision. :(

I was initially shaken, mainly at how suddenly it happened, but I controlled the skid like a Pro.....the benefits of owning sports cars for 17 years before getting a LR?? It was the drive home that did my nerves in.....15 miles in Low range at a crawl, just waiting for something to go again.....my jaw muscles were killing me from clamping my teeth together, and my tummy muscles were all tense!!

Never mind. The old boy is going like a good 'un again......had my Superpro bushes & Allisport intercooler fitted!!!!

jeez... in an attempt at not having this happen to me. Ive got a squealing when i go round a right hand bend. I 'think' it's coming from the N/s rear but cant be 100%. got everything for a bearing change ordered anyway. would this make sense??

ps it's stopped squealing now so now i really am worried. my experience has been its ok while it makes a noise, worry when it stops. it's either about to do something hideous, or it fell off.

jeez... in an attempt at not having this happen to me. Ive got a squealing when i go round a right hand bend. I 'think' it's coming from the N/s rear but cant be 100%. got everything for a bearing change ordered anyway. would this make sense??

ps it's stopped squealing now so now i really am worried. my experience has been its ok while it makes a noise, worry when it stops. it's either about to do something hideous, or it fell off.

Have you checked your pads? Not unknown for worn pads to be squealing until there completely worn (and fall out :ph34r: ).

As for the bearing problems, I had this myself earlier this year. On the motorway I hard a clack and lost all drive. It appears the bearing was shot and fused to the stub, which caused the halfshaft to break. When I made it to the shoulder, I went to feel each hub and actually got a burn from the damaged one!